Is it pretentious to watermark images for copyright protection?

Old February 7th 09, 03:17 PM posted to adobe.photoshop.windows,alt.graphics.photoshop,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

Default Is it pretentious to watermark images for copyright protection?

"zorro" wrote in message
Hello there,

My girlfriend set up a little web gallery of her art work. She has a
watermark on all her images but now she's wondering if people will
think she's being pretentious. After all, she is an amateur and no
one's heard of her in the art world.

We agreed it's legitimate to protect her work, but does a watermark
really make a difference? I saw a lot of web galleries and often
images have no watermark.

And beside the pretention issue, a watermark also spoils the image you
want to show.

Any thoughts or advice about that?

sig

Just make sure it is not that visible.