New Nikon D2X Reviews

Old March 4th 05, 05:07 AM
Roxy d'Urban

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:12:08 -0800, mattclara wrote:

You can make good money, as in tens of thousands a year, off a
relatively popular website. alexa.com ranks his site as the 37,785
most popular/visited site on the web:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?u...enrockwell.com
I bet he's pulling anywhere from $30,000 to $70,000 a year off his ads
and banners and affiliate links. I know people (for real people) doing
just that.
I doubt even you would hold that against him. Review my post to Sander
Vesik for my view on any porn banners he may be hosting--I haven't
clicked to verify your claim of such myself.

I had no idea.

Hmm...so all I have to do is write a bunch of ******** about the equipment
I have used, get some banner exchange dudes to put up a few links to
whatever they're trying to foist on the people visiting my site and I will
earn a considerable amount of dough?

Sounds too good to be true, but I'm keen on learning more! Do tell!

--
?
Old March 4th 05, 04:35 PM
Sander Vesik

Matt Clara wrote:

They are links from his website, and he can choose not to do business with
the people who are paying him to host those banners. I have friends making

He doesn't host them - they are remote. the banners and click-unders
(if you are unfortunate enough to not have them blocked) are pulled and
inserted with javascript. This is pretty standard stuff - you get a
fragment of html that you copy paste into all your html and thats it.

good money via google ad sense and banners, and what not, and they are
frequently having to cancel services with different people who've paid them
to display their ads because of this reason and worse, such as masses of
spyware being installed on end user's computers. Ultimately, it's up to Ken
Rockwell as to what flavor the adson his site will be. Still, I never
follow them anyway, and as long as they aren't maddeningly obtrusive or
placing spyware and such on my computer, I could care less.

I never follow them either - and don't much mind.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 4th 05, 04:57 PM
Matt Clara

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:

They are links from his website, and he can choose not to do business
with
the people who are paying him to host those banners. I have friends
making

He doesn't host them - they are remote. the banners and click-unders
(if you are unfortunate enough to not have them blocked) are pulled and
inserted with javascript. This is pretty standard stuff - you get a
fragment of html that you copy paste into all your html and thats it.

That's irregardless of the fact that he can choose to only work with
companies that are not advertising porn. It's silly to believe that he has
no control over that.

I run a major state website for a living, I have many friends who are
webmasters, you don't have to believe me, but...

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old March 4th 05, 05:18 PM
Matt Clara

It is true, check out www.badjocks.com and www.dumbassdaily.com I know
the guy who runs both of these, and he's making well into the tens of
thousands, mostly off of Google Ad Sense, which are the Goooooogle text
adds running discretely off to one side of most pages on which they're
displayed. It's more than just doing it, though, it's doing it and
doing it and doing it until you understand how Google Ad Sense works
('cause Google won't tell anyone how it works). The fella who runs the
above mentioned websites (who is actually a pretty straight-laced guy,
which you can't tell from his site) is a pretty smart fella, and he
figured it out as well as anyone, if not better. The google ads coming
up on his site pay more per click than the average ads do. He claims
that google could change its ad sense rules tomorrow, though, and his
income could be cut in half, or worse.

In my opinion he's got a little too much ad noise to his content
signal, but he's still just getting that balance down. He ran the
first site for 3 years without pay, and he has to put at least an hour
into it every day, 'cause it's the constantly evolving content that
brings the repeat visitors. A lot of morning show radio dj's use his
site for material, too, and about once every three months he takes a
full day off to do radio interviews.

So it's bit more than just a bunch of ********, and considering the
kind of thought that goes into really turning a buck, Mr. Rockwell may
be making somewhat less than my lowest estimate, but I bet he's turning
at least $15000 without much thought into it. His site gets the hits,
and that's at least half of the battle right there.

Old March 5th 05, 12:32 AM
Sander Vesik

Roxy d'Urban wrote:

I had no idea.

Hmm...so all I have to do is write a bunch of ******** about the equipment
I have used, get some banner exchange dudes to put up a few links to
whatever they're trying to foist on the people visiting my site and I will
earn a considerable amount of dough?

Except that what he has is not entirely ********, even if quite a lot of
it has simplifications. He also has style.

Sounds too good to be true, but I'm keen on learning more! Do tell!

Actually getting a site to be popular is hard.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 6th 05, 04:45 PM
ThomasH

Roxy d'Urban wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:02:59 -0800, ThomasH wrote:

Roxy d'Urban wrote:

[...]

Ken Rockwell also has links on his site that mislead you into thinking you
are going to a certain type of site when in fact you end up at porno sites
that attempt to load spyware on your pc.

So where are these links?

Various banners. One of them was a supposed IQ test.

[...]

You can make good money, as in tens of thousands a year, off a
relatively popular website. alexa.com ranks his site as the 37,785
most popular/visited site on the web:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?u...enrockwell.com
I bet he's pulling anywhere from $30,000 to $70,000 a year off his ads
and banners and affiliate links. I know people (for real people) doing
just that.
I doubt even you would hold that against him. Review my post to Sander
Vesik for my view on any porn banners he may be hosting--I haven't
clicked to verify your claim of such myself.

Fascinating, thank for the link. I am surprised how cyclic
is the rate of hits and the rank! Its almost like a stock
price with resistance and support :-).

I had also not idea how this work, I guess there is money
in the web after all! Even the dormant and for years unchanged
photodo has its rank in 133 thousand and lots of hits.

Steves Digicams is in terms of hits clearly ahead of the pack.

Thomas