Recommend 6x9 Roll Film Holder

Old February 5th 04, 11:41 AM
Richard Knoppow

Default Recommend 6x9 Roll Film Holder

"John Hendry" wrote in message
news:emFPb.212246$X%5.90297@pd7tw2no...
I have a Graphic "23" back that works well. I bought it

for around $30 at a
swap meet though this is probably at the low end of the

asking price. I did
expect on the basis of the '23' that this would have an

aspect ratio of 2:3
ie 6x9 but it is more like 6x8 in the frame window (58mm x

78mm to be
precise). You see them around often enough.

"Raphael Bustin" wrote in

message

Any recommendations for a simple and inexpensive
120 or 220 roll film holder that fits a standard 4x5

field
camera back?

Is "graflok" the proper term to describe the standard
generic 4x5 back -- or is that term proprietary to the
Speed Graphic?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Roll adaptors were made in at least three formats, 2-1/4 x
2-1/4, 6x8cm, and 6x9cm or 2-1/4 x 3-1/4. These give 12, 10,
or 8 pictures per roll. 6x8 has the same aspect ratio as
4x5. A few roll film cameras were also made in the 6x8
format, the Omega being an example.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 5th 04, 02:27 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote (in part):

The only roll film holder which is practical for a "spring back" is
the one made by Calumet. These slide in like standard sheet film
holders. They will fit most 4x5 cameras but not all. Some have
fittings which interfere with the seating of the roll adaptor. I have
at least one camera where the "ears" on the ground glass panel will
not allow the holder to go in all the way.

I had that problem with my Wisner 4x5 T.F. Since it is made of mahogany,
I took a very fine saw normally used with HO train modelling, and
trimmed the one ear that caused a problem, and then put a tiny amount of
varnish on the cut edge. I am pretty sure Ron Wisner would have made
that modification for me, probably for free, but I did not want the
hassle of packing up the camera and sending it to him for something as
simple as that.

As a practical matter, I have never used that adapter with the Wisner,
though I did use it once in a while with other cameras. The problem is
that the image size is so much smaller that my lenses all have the
"wrong" focal length and I would have to get new lenses. Besides, if I
am going to all the trouble of horsing a view camera, tripod, lenses,
meters, etc., somewhere, why not put 4x5 film in?

When I bought the roll film holder, I did not think about it enough. I
though I would use it if I ran out of film in film holders. I usually
take a dozen holders (24 films) and normally shoot between 6 and 12
sheets in a day. As a practical matter, that never happens except when I
am doing portraits, and even then, the model gets tired before the film
is gone. For portraits, I use the Calumet CC-400 with 8 Graphmatic film
holders. When those exposures are done, so is the model.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 9:20am up 29 days, 20:44, 2 users, load average: 2.13, 2.09, 2.09

Old February 6th 04, 04:33 PM
John

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:35:02 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

The only roll film holder which is practical for a "spring
back" is the one made by Calumet. These slide in like
standard sheet film holders. They will fit most 4x5 cameras
but not all. Some have fittings which interfere with the
seating of the roll adaptor. I have at least one camera
where the "ears" on the ground glass panel will not allow
the holder to go in all the way.

Note also that the C2N rollfilm holders are also very wide and
that you need to be certain your springs will handle that width. I
found that I had to re-curve the springs on my Zone VI after I used
the CN a few times. I found this most annoying considering that I had
bought the both camera and film holder from Zone VI.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old February 8th 04, 07:31 PM
Tom Monego

In article .net,
says...

"Raphael Bustin" wrote in message
.. .

Any recommendations for a simple and inexpensive
120 or 220 roll film holder that fits a standard 4x5

field
camera back?

Is "graflok" the proper term to describe the standard
generic 4x5 back -- or is that term proprietary to the
Speed Graphic?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Rafe,
If you have the Graphlock back get a Linhoff roll film holder, you can see the
lack of film flatness in almost any other roll film back. I have used the
Calumet C2 and Horseman backs, the Linhoff is far superior. Unfortunatly it
isn't inexpensive, but easily found on Ebay.

Tom

Old February 8th 04, 07:40 PM
Bob Salomon

In article z8wVb.25193$CJ1.22475@lakeread01,
(Tom Monego) wrote:

Linhoff

That is the name of a camera repairman in the Midwest.
The camera manufacturer is Linhof.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old February 9th 04, 06:01 PM
Tom Monego

In article ,
says...

(Tom Monego) wrote:

Linhoff

That is the name of a camera repairman in the Midwest.
The camera manufacturer is Linhof.

I stand corrected