The megapixel insanity continues

Old July 31st 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Default The megapixel insanity continues

The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

Samsung NV range updated
Click for: Samsung NV range updatedSamsung has announced a trio of new
compacts in its NV (New Vision) series, upping the resolution in the
range-topping NV20 to 12 megapixels

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...ngnvseries.asp

So now we have a situation where "top range" (still equipped with
horrible, horrible tiny sensors) P&S cameras are going beyond prosumer
DSLRs when it comes to pixel count.

Old July 31st 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoshisato

On Jul 31, 3:57 am, Rich wrote:
The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

Samsung NV range updated
Click for: Samsung NV range updatedSamsung has announced a trio of new
compacts in its NV (New Vision) series, upping the resolution in the
range-topping NV20 to 12 megapixels

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...ngnvseries.asp

So now we have a situation where "top range" (still equipped with
horrible, horrible tiny sensors) P&S cameras are going beyond prosumer
DSLRs when it comes to pixel count.

The marketing boys got hold of the megapixels and I think they quite
successfully have hammered in the "more is better" message in the
casual user. Lots of my friends are sure that the number of megapixels
is the only indication of the quality of a camera and I'm sure that
there are tons of people like that around. No doubt the Samsung will
sell, it is twice as "good" as a normal DSLR ^_^;;

Old July 31st 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Hoshisato wrote:

The marketing boys got hold of the megapixels and I think they quite
successfully have hammered in the "more is better" message in the
casual user. Lots of my friends are sure that the number of megapixels
is the only indication of the quality of a camera and I'm sure that
there are tons of people like that around. No doubt the Samsung will
sell, it is twice as "good" as a normal DSLR ^_^;;

Regardless of the virtue of their cameras,
at least Fuji's marketing department are
pulling in a "non mega pixel" direction.

BugBear (who would have been perfectly happy if his Canon A630 was 4 Mp)
Old July 31st 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Hoshisato wrote:

The marketing boys got hold of the megapixels and I think they quite
successfully have hammered in the "more is better" message in the
casual user. Lots of my friends are sure that the number of megapixels
is the only indication of the quality of a camera and I'm sure that
there are tons of people like that around. No doubt the Samsung will
sell, it is twice as "good" as a normal DSLR ^_^;;

Two other important marketing tools are the size of the LCD, and how
long the telephoto is. Never mind that most buyers would be better
served by a smaller LCD plus an optical viewfinder, and a zoom lens with
more "wide" and less "telephoto." Only a handful of cameras have these
features anymore.

Maybe it's a conspiracy to get everyone to buy a D-SLR. Actually, with
the booming D-SLR market and the slowing P&S market, it probably is true
that the market for a sensibly featured P&S has been reduced to the
point where it's not practical to market a whole lot of them. Maybe most
manufacturers are saying, "hey, you want low noise, fast auto-focus, no
shutter lag, a wide zoom range, and an optical viewfinder, just buy a
D-SLR because the P&S market only cares about megapixels and the size of
the LCD, and we have to compete on those terms, like it or not."

Reminds me of how bicycles went from 15 speed (3 front/5 rear) which
actually was a useful improvement over 10 speeds, to 18 speed, then 21
speed, then 24 speed, then 27 speed, and now 30 speed (3 front/10 rear).

I'm waiting for someone to combine the Rohloff 14 speed Speedhub, with a
10 gear rear cassette, a Mountain Tamer Quad Plus (fourth front chain
ring), and a Schlumpf Mountain Drive (2 speed front internal crankset),
so I can buy a 1120 speed bicycle with four different shifters.
Old July 31st 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Hoshisato" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 3:57 am, Rich wrote:
The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

Samsung NV range updated
Click for: Samsung NV range updatedSamsung has announced a trio of new
compacts in its NV (New Vision) series, upping the resolution in the
range-topping NV20 to 12 megapixels

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...ngnvseries.asp

So now we have a situation where "top range" (still equipped with
horrible, horrible tiny sensors) P&S cameras are going beyond prosumer
DSLRs when it comes to pixel count.

The marketing boys got hold of the megapixels and I think they quite
successfully have hammered in the "more is better" message in the
casual user. Lots of my friends are sure that the number of megapixels
is the only indication of the quality of a camera and I'm sure that
there are tons of people like that around. No doubt the Samsung will
sell, it is twice as "good" as a normal DSLR ^_^;;

I think everything said so far is correct.

However we should all rememeber that this marketing is aimed at people who
know less than nothing about Photography and Cameras, (Joe Public).

The marketing departments know exactly how to appeal to the ignoratti, and
do a very good job for their employers.

Roy G

Old July 31st 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Victek

Two other important marketing tools are the size of the LCD, and how long
the telephoto is. Never mind that most buyers would be better served by a
smaller LCD plus an optical viewfinder, and a zoom lens with more "wide"
and less "telephoto." Only a handful of cameras have these features
anymore.

My theory: LCD screens keep growing because people use them to show their
pictures to others. IOW, they are used as digital picture frames. Optical
viewfinders are going away because they smear your eye makeup (ouch!)

Old July 31st 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:45:53 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

"Hoshisato" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jul 31, 3:57 am, Rich wrote:
The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

[...]

Don't knock progress, the money from the sales of P&S funds the
research into better technology.
Old July 31st 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Roy G wrote:
"Hoshisato" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 3:57 am, Rich wrote:
The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

[...]

The best thing that can be said about camera advertising is that it
hasn't (yet) sunk to the level of auto and beer ads.
Allen
Old July 31st 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Victek wrote:
Two other important marketing tools are the size of the LCD, and how
long the telephoto is. Never mind that most buyers would be better
served by a smaller LCD plus an optical viewfinder, and a zoom lens
with more "wide" and less "telephoto." Only a handful of cameras have
these features anymore.

My theory: LCD screens keep growing because people use them to show
their pictures to others. IOW, they are used as digital picture
frames. Optical viewfinders are going away because they smear your eye
makeup (ouch!)

Agreed, especially your first point. I didn't realise
this use UNTIL I had a 2 1/2" screen.

Then it rapidly became self-evident.

BugBear
Old July 31st 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jul 31, 9:45 am, "Roy G" wrote:
"Hoshisato" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 31, 3:57 am, Rich wrote:
The last batch of these overpriced Samsungs produced miserable
pictures. Now this?

From dpreview:

[...]

There was a scene in the Sopranos when Tony Soprano says to his senile
uncle, I know you can't control what you say, but why does everything
have to be nasty? In the same way, why is it everything marketing
departments do is wrong, why couldn't they beat the drum for some
aspect of quality rather than pixel count? Is it because every idiot
out there equates high numbers with ultimate value?