Looking for zoom with minimal noise

Old September 30th 05, 01:10 PM
Paula Sims

Default Looking for zoom with minimal noise

Hi there,
I currently have the Olympus 8080 and I love it but I would like more
zoom (Olympus only goes to 140mm). Can anyone recommend a comparable
camera (excellent lens) but with greater zoom?

Thanks

Paula
Old September 30th 05, 01:57 PM
David J Taylor

Paula Sims wrote:
Hi there,
I currently have the Olympus 8080 and I love it but I would like more
zoom (Olympus only goes to 140mm). Can anyone recommend a comparable
camera (excellent lens) but with greater zoom?

Thanks

Paula

For the best lens on a current long-zoom camera, look at the Panasonic
FZ5/FZ20/FZ30 range. Typical zoom range is 36 - 432mm, and apertures of
f/2.8..f/3.7 at maximum zoom.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/

These cameras work best at 50/80/100 ISO, and have an image stabilised
Leica lens which reduces camera shake at long zoom settings. I have the
FZ5 and it's a delight to use.

The Canon S2 IS doesn't have quite as good image quality, but offers a
better movie mode. You may find the Nikon 8800 discounted as the camera
is discontinued.

David

Old September 30th 05, 02:07 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:10:39 GMT, Paula Sims wrote:
Hi there,
I currently have the Olympus 8080 and I love it but I would like more
zoom (Olympus only goes to 140mm). Can anyone recommend a comparable
camera (excellent lens) but with greater zoom?

There's a whole bunch; basically, most of the manufacturers offer a
camera with specs of: 12x optical zoom (36-432 mm, typically), 5
megapixels, $500 list.

I have the Panasonic FZ5, which I like a lot. It has a very good, clean,
sharp lens. Other possibilities include the Canon S2IS, the Sony H1, and
the Kodak P850 (brand new; I haven't seen any reviews of it yet, so you
might want to hold off on this one).

For somewhat more money, there are 8 MP superzooms like the Panasonic
FZ30.

-dms
Old September 30th 05, 10:35 PM
Charles Schuler

"Paula Sims" wrote in message
.net...
Hi there,
I currently have the Olympus 8080 and I love it but I would like more
zoom (Olympus only goes to 140mm). Can anyone recommend a comparable
camera (excellent lens) but with greater zoom?

As others posted, look at the FZ5:
http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschu...8/site1059.jpg