Slave Flash with Panasonic FZ5

Old August 4th 05, 03:52 PM
HarveyB

Default Slave Flash with Panasonic FZ5

I purchased a Metz 28 CS-2 for use with the FZ5. Does anyone know if
the FZ5 uses a preflash. I'm not talking about the preflash for red
eye reduction. I'm talking about a measuring (focus) preflash. The
flash unit can compensate for it, but in my tests, the exposure seems
to be identical with the built in flash and the slave unit, so I think
the slave is going off either before or after the shutter.

Old August 4th 05, 06:55 PM
Bill Again

"HarveyB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased a Metz 28 CS-2 for use with the FZ5. Does anyone know if
the FZ5 uses a preflash. I'm not talking about the preflash for red
eye reduction. I'm talking about a measuring (focus) preflash. The
flash unit can compensate for it, but in my tests, the exposure seems
to be identical with the built in flash and the slave unit, so I think
the slave is going off either before or after the shutter.

This unit from Metz has a self learning slave mode. You can set it so that
it ignores the test flash. This test flash occurs so close to the main flash
that the human eye has difficulty in detecting it, but it remains quite
obvious to the Metz unit. The unit can even measure multiple test flashes
and be set to ignore them all and to fire with the main flash.

I use exactly this unit with the FZ10 and it works fine, but my other (dumb)
slave units don't. I have no idea if the FZ5 has a preflash or not, but I
suspect that it does.

Robert

Old August 4th 05, 11:28 PM
HarveyB

I already know about the self learning feature and had set the flash
with that, but the results with or without the slave were identical.
Then it occurred to me that they might be identical because the
distance was well within the range of the built in camera flash. I
increased the sensitivity of the slave to see if I would get an
overexposed picture. This would tell me if it was actually working.
Eureka!

Thanks for your input. I love this little jewel.

Old August 5th 05, 12:47 AM
Bill Again

"HarveyB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I already know about the self learning feature and had set the flash
with that, but the results with or without the slave were identical.
Then it occurred to me that they might be identical because the
distance was well within the range of the built in camera flash. I
increased the sensitivity of the slave to see if I would get an
overexposed picture. This would tell me if it was actually working.
Eureka!

Thanks for your input. I love this little jewel.

Yes, it is really neat. I don't know how you are using it, but I use mine
for providing side lighting by positioning it out of the picture and to one
side of the subject. A small pice of paper taped over the cameras flash
lets the side lighting become dominant - all very trial and error but can
make for a good picture :-)

And sometimes to light up the far end of a longish room or, for instance, to
add lighting to the middle distance. I haven't yet worked out how far away
the slave can be and still get actuated.

Robert.

Old August 7th 05, 06:35 AM
starcolony

HarveyB wrote:
I purchased a Metz 28 CS-2 for use with the FZ5. Does anyone know if
the FZ5 uses a preflash. I'm not talking about the preflash for red
eye reduction. I'm talking about a measuring (focus) preflash. The
flash unit can compensate for it, but in my tests, the exposure seems
to be identical with the built in flash and the slave unit, so I think
the slave is going off either before or after the shutter.

Harvey,

The FZ5 uses an orange colored LED to assist with low light focusing.
It may not be bright enough to trigger the slave flash. If it is a
problem the LED can be turned off. The camera also uses a pre-flash for
red eye reduction. This feature can also be turned off.

TR

Old August 31st 05, 04:50 PM
HarveyB

The organge colored LED does not set off the flash. I tried increasing
exposure on the flash and it washed out the picture, which means it is
functioning properly. I love it.

As far as the red eye problem, the flash can adjust for this. However,
I never use the red eye feature, as I would rather deal with the red
eye in Paint Shop Pro than put up with the shutter lag.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.