definition

Old November 27th 04, 10:40 PM
Puzzled

Default definition

I have an Olympus C-2100uz. Is this a digital slr? Thanks

Old November 27th 04, 10:55 PM
David H. Lipman

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/

No it is a Point & Shoot with Zoom.

Dave

Old November 27th 04, 11:48 PM
sid derra

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an Olympus C-2100uz. Is this a digital slr? Thanks

no, but i had one and miss it dearly. i do own a d70 now and it obviously is
another class of cameras (it IS a DSLR), but every now and then the point &
shoot capabilities of the UZ would still come in handy. also it produced
superb images for a 2mp cam...

Old November 27th 04, 11:48 PM
Puzzled

Then I guess I just don't understand what the difference is. This camera
has a full set of manual controls and a range of aperture and shutter
speeds. How is this a point-and-shoot and how does an slr differ? Thank
you.

Sorry for posting this as a new message but I am unable to respond to
messages in this group. "cannot be resolved" issue which, so far, cannot
be resolved :-(

Old November 28th 04, 02:39 AM
Happy Traveler

SLR stands for 'Single Lens Reflex'. A mirror in front of the sensor (or the
film in the case of a film camera) reflects the image to the viewer and
flips out of the way when the shutter is pressed. The name does not
specifically say it, but all SLRs have interchangeable lenses as well.

Old November 28th 04, 02:55 AM
Dave Fouchey

"Puzzled" wrote in message
Then I guess I just don't understand what the difference is. This camera
has a full set of manual controls and a range of aperture and shutter
speeds. How is this a point-and-shoot and how does an slr differ? Thank
you.

Sort of, there are at least two Digital SLR Cameras out there from
Olympus the E-10 and E-20 neither of which had interchangeable lenses.
But in general you are correct most SLR's are interchangeable lens
Cameras.

Cheers!

Dave
Old November 28th 04, 03:00 AM
David H. Lipman

For me, interchangeable lenses were the reason for getting a dSLR. I'll *never* go back to
a Point & Shoot.

Dave L.

Old November 28th 04, 03:02 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:00:10 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
wrote:

For me, interchangeable lenses were the reason for getting a dSLR. I'll *never* go back to
a Point & Shoot.

Dave L.

Preaching to the Choir there Dave though I must admit I keep a Canon
A75 close at hand for quick grab shots I spend most of my time with my
Digital Rebel the exception is film for Infra Red since I am not QUITE
gutsy enough to modify a dSLR by removing the blocking filter....

Dave F.

.. .

Old November 28th 04, 03:44 AM
Michael Meissner

"David H. Lipman" writes:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/

No it is a Point & Shoot with Zoom.

Or a zlr, using the wacky new group names.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 28th 04, 09:38 AM
David J Taylor

Michael Meissner wrote:
[]
No it is a Point & Shoot with Zoom.

Or a zlr, using the wacky new group names.

A ZLR is not just a point and shoot with zoom; perhaps better defined as
an SLR-like camera with no mirror and fixed lens. On a ZLR one would look
for:

- SLR-like format
- zoom
- full manual control of aperture, shutter speed and focus
- hot shoe

etc. etc.

Cheers,
David