Which would you choose, TS-E 17mm or EF14mm

Old October 26th 12, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jdear64

Default Which would you choose, TS-E 17mm or EF14mm

I have a Canon 5D III (and some money to burn :-) )and would like to get a wide angle lens. Both TS-E 17mm and the EF 14mm seem to produce nice sharp images even out near the edges. I'd like anyones thoughts on either of these two lenses. I do mostly landscape/nature and some architecture. Some of my own thoughts:

+ 14mm - Wider (I currently own a 24-105f4)
- 17mm - Not sure if 17mm is big enough of a difference over 24mm at these
prices.
- 14mm - No tilt and shift.
+ 17mm - Has tilt and shift, I can see shift being useful for architecture, but
at 17mm is tilt going to have much effect on focus?
+ 14mm - Faster f2.8
- 17mm - Manual focus. At 17mm, this shouldn't be much of an issue, and the
camera will give focus conformation.

This would be for personal use. Thanks for any inputs. :-)
Old October 27th 12, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 27/10/2012 7:06 AM, jdear64 wrote:
I have a Canon 5D III (and some money to burn :-) )and would like to get a wide angle lens. Both TS-E 17mm and the EF 14mm seem to produce nice sharp images even out near the edges. I'd like anyones thoughts on either of these two lenses. I do mostly landscape/nature and some architecture. Some of my own thoughts:

+ 14mm - Wider (I currently own a 24-105f4)
- 17mm - Not sure if 17mm is big enough of a difference over 24mm at these
prices.
- 14mm - No tilt and shift.
+ 17mm - Has tilt and shift, I can see shift being useful for architecture, but
at 17mm is tilt going to have much effect on focus?
+ 14mm - Faster f2.8
- 17mm - Manual focus. At 17mm, this shouldn't be much of an issue, and the
camera will give focus conformation.

This would be for personal use. Thanks for any inputs. :-)

Very wide angles become toys after a while.

14mm distortion would be of concern.

As for tilts and swings, not sure if this is necessary, or do you have a
particular need, like macro work, or you could just keep the back
vertical for architecture.

IMHO I would get more enjoyment from a 17mm treated the correct way.

You can easily stitch images to create a wider angle but I generally use
a 24mm or 28mm to do this.

Old October 29th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
otter

On Oct 26, 3:06*pm, jdear64 wrote:
[...]

The 14mm is good, but the TS-E 17mm is better.

You should also consider the Samyang 14mm.