Compare Images

Old September 3rd 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default Compare Images

Has anyone been able to compare printed images in either or both black
and white and color that were printed on an Epson 3800 and a Canon
IPF5100 on either or both glossy, matte and or artistic papers?

If so could you please post your opinions of the results. One can be
better than the other or they can be equal but just different. Please
only respond if the images you saw were printed with OEM ink and please
specify the paper since that does make a difference.
Old September 5th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

ransley wrote:
On Sep 3, 1:34 am, measekite wrote:

Has anyone been able to compare printed images in either or both black
and white and color that were printed on an Epson 3800 and a Canon
IPF5100 on either or both glossy, matte and or artistic papers?

If so could you please post your opinions of the results. One can be
better than the other or they can be equal but just different. Please
only respond if the images you saw were printed with OEM ink and please
specify the paper since that does make a difference.

You should google reviews there has to be a few good comparisons,
years ago I saw a review of HP, Canon and Epson top line units, the
main issue for B&W was Canon was not as black a black as HP or Epson,
I dont know if Canon has gotten better in BW. Canon may still be the
leader at 1 picoliter detail.

Reviews have been mixed and not definitive. And they are not the
opinions of everyday users. The big drawback of the Epson is 9 tanks
and 8 ink channels so you waste expensive ink when switching between
photo black for glossy and matte black for matte and artistic papers.
The big drawback for the Canon is the initial price and $800 to replace
the ink plus the initial tanks are starter tanks. I think Canon is
being piggish about that.
Old September 5th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

tomm42 wrote:
On Sep 3, 2:34 am, measekite wrote:

Has anyone been able to compare printed images in either or both black
and white and color that were printed on an Epson 3800 and a Canon
IPF5100 on either or both glossy, matte and or artistic papers?

If so could you please post your opinions of the results. One can be
better than the other or they can be equal but just different. Please
only respond if the images you saw were printed with OEM ink and please
specify the paper since that does make a difference.

From what I've read it is a different but both are good scenario.

I think we read the same thing but I still am hoping for some actual
user field experiences.
have the previous model Canon (iPF5000) and have had a lot of
complements for the b&w on that printer, with good profiles and paper
it has very few gloss differentials and bronzing. If the 5100 is that
much better that is fantastic.

I hear that the Canon driver (heavily dependent on a plug in for
Photoshop ( I prefer to use LInux if possible) and totally dependent on
Canon papers to get the good results.
I have heard very good things about the
Epson too. The difference seems to be is you want roll paper or do
panoramas go with the Canon, if you have space restrictions it is the
Epson. Otherwise flip a coin. The profiles that came with the Canon
5000 were useless, but made me look harder for better profiles and had
a few made. The Epson is better in that regards. Even painter friends
like my prints from the Canon, and I consider that a good compliment.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question. I know they are different but
both good just like taking a photo with a Nikon and then with a Canon.
There may be small differences in color or in some cases resolution
depending on the lens but after looking an many photos it would be
extremely difficult to say one consistently looks better than the
other. So with that in mind if you printed out 10 photos on your Canon
and then the same photos on the Epson in both color and b/w on a variety
of papers could you say that one is really better than the other or just
different and then it boils down to what you prefer on a personal basis?
Tom