Recommended mAh for Oly SP570UZ?

Old September 6th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DudeBoyz

Default Recommended mAh for Oly SP570UZ?

Wondering what the recommended mAh level is for AA rechargeable
for this camera. 2500 was suggested at the store, but I'm not
sure what might be best.

I do want long life, but at the same time I want to make sure
that the batteries are safe, cool, constant and predictable. I
don't know if 2700 might be an issue, or 2200, etc.

My Oly C5050 specified 1700mAh and came with 4 of those. But
this SP570UZ came with alkaline with no recommendation on
rechargeables.

I'd appreciate some helpful advice on this.

Thanks

Old September 6th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve B[_3_]

"DudeBoyz" wrote in message
Wondering what the recommended mAh level is for AA rechargeable for this
camera. 2500 was suggested at the store, but I'm not sure what might be
best.

I do want long life, but at the same time I want to make sure that the
batteries are safe, cool, constant and predictable. I don't know if 2700
might be an issue, or 2200, etc.

My Oly C5050 specified 1700mAh and came with 4 of those. But this SP570UZ
came with alkaline with no recommendation on rechargeables.

I'd appreciate some helpful advice on this.

Thanks

As long as the manual states that NiMh can be used, I would only ever use
either Sanyo Eneloops (2000mAh) or Uniross Hybrios or Maha Imedion (both
2100mAh), all low self-discharge types. They perform better than any other
type of NiMh in the real world and are always ready to use when left in the
cam, unlike ordinary NiMh which are pretty useless after a few weeks. They
can also deliver higher current surges than typical so there's no downside.
Same charging requirements as ordinary NiMh.

Old September 6th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DudeBoyz

this SP570UZ came with alkaline with no recommendation on
rechargeables. I'd appreciate some helpful advice on this.

Thanks

As long as the manual states that NiMh can be used, I would
only ever use either Sanyo Eneloops (2000mAh) or Uniross
Hybrios or Maha Imedion (both 2100mAh), all low self-discharge
types. They perform better than any other type of NiMh in the
real world and are always ready to use when left in the cam,
unlike ordinary NiMh which are pretty useless after a few
weeks. They can also deliver higher current surges than
typical so there's no downside. Same charging requirements as
ordinary NiMh.

Thanks very much for the reply. I appreciate it.

I wonder, is it likely that my camera could handle just about any
level of mAh? Like the Delkin 2300mAh low discharge? Or the
Delkin 2900mAh regular discharge?

Is there any sort of limitation regard? Could a 2900mAh do any
damage to the camera? Or are all batteries safe to use provided
they are of good quality and safely and properly charged?

Thanks again.

Old September 6th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DudeBoyz

Is there any sort of limitation regard?

The mAh rating is a measure of capacity, not output. So you'll
be fine with any rating.

So the camera would be perfectly safe if I used 1100mAh or
2900mAh rechargeables? It absolutely makes no difference at all?
There is just no way that the host device using these batteries
could be damaged no matter the mAh value?

Thanks much. I'm a bit dense, so need this stuff drilled into my
head with repeated confirmation...

Old September 6th 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew MacPherson

(DudeBoyz) wrote:

Thanks much. I'm a bit dense, so need this stuff drilled into my
head with repeated confirmation...

I'm a bit of a slow learner myself, so I understand your caution. But as
long as you don't mix battery types you should be fine... barring the
occasional act of god. :-)

A quick search brought up this...
http://www.starbatteries.com/batteryfaqs.html
....which might help set your mind at ease you. I've certainly had no
problem using any flavour of AA rechargeable in several cameras over the
years.

Andrew McP
Old September 6th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DudeBoyz

Thanks much. I'm a bit dense, so need this stuff drilled
into my head with repeated confirmation...

I'm a bit of a slow learner myself, so I understand your
caution. But as long as you don't mix battery types you should
be fine... barring the occasional act of god. :-)

A quick search brought up this...
http://www.starbatteries.com/batteryfaqs.html
...which might help set your mind at ease you. I've certainly
had no problem using any flavour of AA rechargeable in several
cameras over the years.

Andrew McP

You've been incredibly patient and helpful. Thank you very much
for the replies and the tone. At the end of a busy day, it is
refreshing not to be chastized for having "Brain Fade".

Best Wishes,

DB