Cheap Apple

Old November 12th 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Cheap Apple

On Nov 12, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

This is a scan of an ad in today's newspaper:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpxwou1fkh...-12-R.jpg?dl=0

Refresh Computers is a local store that sells used (sometimes
reconditioned) computer stuff. Much of their stock is purchased from
corporations who are upgrading or going out of business. They may
have other sources.

My second monitor was purchased from Refresh at a truly bargain price.
The first one I bought there had problems after a couple of months,
but they replaced it with a comparable, but slightly more expensive
one, at no charge.

I'm tempted to pick up one of those MacBooks at $149 just to see what
the Mac thing is like, but I probably won't. Dunno what I'd do with a
second laptop.

That is a pretty good price for a refurbished MacBook, (note; Macbook, not
MacBookPro) and could make for a budget on-the-road machine. It could do with
a bit more RAM, and perhaps an SSD upgrade. So spend another $200 and you
would have your budget Mac.

Savageduck

Old November 12th 17, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I'm tempted to pick up one of those MacBooks at $149 just to see what
the Mac thing is like, but I probably won't. Dunno what I'd do with a
second laptop.

That is a pretty good price for a refurbished MacBook, (note; Macbook, not
MacBookPro) and could make for a budget on-the-road machine. It could do with
a bit more RAM, and perhaps an SSD upgrade. So spend another $200 and you
would have your budget Mac.

considering how old it is, it's not a pretty good price at all.

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.
Old November 12th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-11-12 15:07, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I'm tempted to pick up one of those MacBooks at $149 just to see what
the Mac thing is like, but I probably won't. Dunno what I'd do with a
second laptop.

That is a pretty good price for a refurbished MacBook, (note; Macbook, not
MacBookPro) and could make for a budget on-the-road machine. It could do with
a bit more RAM, and perhaps an SSD upgrade. So spend another $200 and you
would have your budget Mac.

considering how old it is, it's not a pretty good price at all.

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.

Perhaps $150 is a bit steep in that market. But the laptop will still
be fine for most general use that isn't CPU intensive. That includes
photo editing, office apps, mail, web, video watching, etc.

I sold an iMac (late 2007 v.) with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 6 GB of
RAM. The family that bought it still use it daily and w/o complaint.
I'm not sure what OS it is at. I sold it to them with Mavericks installed.

If I were to invest in improving that laptop at all it would be for the
SSD first and the RAM only possibly depending on the configuration as sold.

--
"My Twitter has become so powerful that
I can actually make my enemies tell the truth."
Old November 13th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I'm tempted to pick up one of those MacBooks at $149 just to see what
the Mac thing is like, but I probably won't. Dunno what I'd do with a
second laptop.

That is a pretty good price for a refurbished MacBook, (note; Macbook, not
MacBookPro) and could make for a budget on-the-road machine. It could do
with
a bit more RAM, and perhaps an SSD upgrade. So spend another $200 and you
would have your budget Mac.

considering how old it is, it's not a pretty good price at all.

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.

Perhaps $150 is a bit steep in that market.

very steep for something that old.

But the laptop will still
be fine for most general use that isn't CPU intensive. That includes
photo editing, office apps, mail, web, video watching, etc.

small photos and videos, perhaps, but for 1080p and/or h.265, it's
going to fall flat.

I sold an iMac (late 2007 v.) with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 6 GB of
RAM. The family that bought it still use it daily and w/o complaint.
I'm not sure what OS it is at. I sold it to them with Mavericks installed.

it's probably still on mavericks, and also quite a bit faster than the
macbook.

If I were to invest in improving that laptop at all it would be for the
SSD first and the RAM only possibly depending on the configuration as sold.

at which point, it becomes not such a good deal.
Old November 13th 17, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.

Perhaps $150 is a bit steep in that market.

very steep for something that old.

Lots of folks are curious in what step Apple will take next with Mac
hard and software. If you are interested in the current family of
systems it might be a good idea to take a step back and see where they
are heading. Will there be separate mac- and i- OSs or will they merge?
Will the hardware merge so that we will see ARM processors on Macs? That
will be sorted out then the new Mac Pro system arrives. Until then the
serious hobbyist with other obligations and limited resources could be
wise to wait and see if Apples new offerings due in a year or so just
see if is that is that they want. They do charge for the gear, you know!
--
teleportation kills
Old November 13th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/13/2017 2:56 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
nospam wrote:

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.

Perhaps $150 is a bit steep in that market.

very steep for something that old.

Lots of folks are curious in what step Apple will take next with Mac
hard and software. If you are interested in the current family of
systems it might be a good idea to take a step back and see where they
are heading. Will there be separate mac- and i- OSs or will they merge?
Will the hardware merge so that we will see ARM processors on Macs? That
will be sorted out then the new Mac Pro system arrives. Until then the
serious hobbyist with other obligations and limited resources could be
wise to wait and see if Apples new offerings due in a year or so just
see if is that is that they want. They do charge for the gear, you know!

Good advice, except the Appleseed will ignore it. I have an Appleseed
friend who pre-ordered two iPhone Xs. One for him. He sold the other on
Craig's List, for a profit. From what I hear, he is not the only one.

--
PeterN
Old November 13th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/12/2017 8:12 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I'm tempted to pick up one of those MacBooks at $149 just to see what
the Mac thing is like, but I probably won't. Dunno what I'd do with a
second laptop.

That is a pretty good price for a refurbished MacBook, (note; Macbook, not
MacBookPro) and could make for a budget on-the-road machine. It could do
with
a bit more RAM, and perhaps an SSD upgrade. So spend another $200 and you
would have your budget Mac.

considering how old it is, it's not a pretty good price at all.

although adding memory and ssd would help (and very easy to do), it's
wasted money for something that old.

Perhaps $150 is a bit steep in that market.

very steep for something that old.

A seventy year old woman decides to become a prostitute. She came home
and told her husband that she made $30.10. Her husband asked: "who gave
you ten cents?" She replied: "Everybody."

--
PeterN
Old November 13th 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

A seventy year old woman decides to become a prostitute.

you would know about that.
Old November 13th 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-11-12 20:12, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

[...]

No issue for 1080 - used to do that with my SO's prior MBA w/o issue and
it was slow.

h.265 is rare in most respects.

I sold an iMac (late 2007 v.) with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 6 GB of
RAM. The family that bought it still use it daily and w/o complaint.
I'm not sure what OS it is at. I sold it to them with Mavericks installed.

it's probably still on mavericks, and also quite a bit faster than the
macbook.

Not really. The iMac was a 2007 model. If the Macbook quoted is
2009/2010 then it has a pretty good processor.

If I were to invest in improving that laptop at all it would be for the
SSD first and the RAM only possibly depending on the configuration as sold.

at which point, it becomes not such a good deal.

It's more than fine for someone who is "Mac curious".

Old November 13th 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

[...]

there absolutely is an issue with 1080p.

both my '08 and '09 macbook pros drop frames with 1080p, and the latter
has an ssd.

no issue on more recent macs.

h.265 is rare in most respects.

nope. it's actually rather common, and that's even before it became the
default format for iphones.

I sold an iMac (late 2007 v.) with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 6 GB of
RAM. The family that bought it still use it daily and w/o complaint.
I'm not sure what OS it is at. I sold it to them with Mavericks installed.

it's probably still on mavericks, and also quite a bit faster than the
macbook.

Not really. The iMac was a 2007 model. If the Macbook quoted is
2009/2010 then it has a pretty good processor.

a core 2 duo of unspecified speed, which can be anywhere from 2-2.4
ghz.

more than likely it's on the slower end, otherwise the store would have
listed the cpu speed as well as jacked their price even more. the
macbook also has a slow laptop drive.

your 2007 imac had 2.8 ghz core 2 duo processor (already faster), more
memory, a much faster desktop drive and a faster gpu.

so yes, it was faster.

If I were to invest in improving that laptop at all it would be for the
SSD first and the RAM only possibly depending on the configuration as sold.

at which point, it becomes not such a good deal.

It's more than fine for someone who is "Mac curious".

it's not representative of what a modern mac can do. for example,
there's no handoff & continuity. the display is also not very good as
well as being pre-retina.

buying something cheap, only to spend money on it to make it less sucky
is not a good idea.