Decent alternative to dslr?

Old November 4th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Henry

Default Decent alternative to dslr?

Hi

First, let me pre-empt the flame brigade by saying that I *have* done a lot
of on-line research in an attempt to reach a decision - but I'd like some
thoughts from people who might have hands-on experience.

I've been using dslrs for about three years now - or rather *not* using
them because I very often just can't face all the hassle of carting the
necessary paraphernalia around with me.

I know all the IQ advantages of a dslr over a P&S but I 'd still like
something easily transportable and generally less 'fussy'

So my question is, which is the *best* non-dslr camera out there below 500
GBP??

I'd define *best* for my purposes as

1 - image quality - the lowest noise possible up to 800 iso

2 - features - optical viewfinder is a must-have as much manual control as
possible, decent lens.

3 - size - doesn't have to be 'micro' but generally small and easy to carry
around.

4 - build quality - as rugged as possible

Brand is unimportant.

Any thoughts or personal recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA Henry

Old November 4th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Nov 4, 4:59 pm, "Henry" wrote:
Hi

First, let me pre-empt the flame brigade by saying that I *have* done a lot
of on-line research in an attempt to reach a decision - but I'd like some
thoughts from people who might have hands-on experience.

I've been using dslrs for about three years now - or rather *not* using
them because I very often just can't face all the hassle of carting the
necessary paraphernalia around with me.

I know all the IQ advantages of a dslr over a P&S but I 'd still like
something easily transportable and generally less 'fussy'

So my question is, which is the *best* non-dslr camera out there below 500
GBP??

I'd define *best* for my purposes as

1 - image quality - the lowest noise possible up to 800 iso

Are you planning to shoot only jpegs? Or does the speed with which it
operates when shooting raw matter?

2 - features - optical viewfinder is a must-have as much manual control as
possible, decent lens.

How about an electronic viewfinder (ie like an optical viewfinder, but
electronic)? Because you'll have a hard time finding a camera with eg
10x zoom with an optical viewfinder...

3 - size - doesn't have to be 'micro' but generally small and easy to carry
around.

So will something like a Fuji s9000 or a panasonic fz30 be ok, or is
it too big? Is something like a canon g9 essential, in terms of size?

4 - build quality - as rugged as possible

Brand is unimportant.

Any thoughts or personal recommendations would be appreciated.

I looked at some of these cameras almost two years ago when I was
planning to get a new camera, so I may be able to help a bit, but need
some more information (see questions above).

Old November 4th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Henry" wrote:

Have you considered a 24/2.8 lens for your dSLR? If it's not a Nikon D40(x),
you get a fairly compact camera with AF and a focal length (36 to 40mm)
common on fixed-focal length P&S film cameras in the dark old pre-digital
days. (If your dSLR is a Nikon D40(x), you don't get AF.) If you prefer the
classic "normal lens" FOV, the 35/2.0 is even a stop faster. Sigma makes a
30/1.4, but it's a tad on the large and heavy side, and is rather pricey.

This has the advantage that it gives better ISO 800 performance than any
P&S, and a reasonably fast lens to take advantage of that performance.

1 - image quality - the lowest noise possible up to 800 iso

The only P&S cameras that are _claimed_ to have low noise at somewhat higher
ISOs are the Fuji Fx0 cameras (where x = 2 or 3).

2 - features - optical viewfinder is a must-have as much manual control
as possible, decent lens.

Not on the Fuji.

4 - build quality - as rugged as possible

The old Sony S85 was a nice 4MP camera. But ISO 400 was funky. Solid build
quality, optical viewfinder.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 4th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ray

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:59:03 +0000, Henry wrote:

Hi

First, let me pre-empt the flame brigade by saying that I *have* done a lot
of on-line research in an attempt to reach a decision - but I'd like some
thoughts from people who might have hands-on experience.

I've been using dslrs for about three years now - or rather *not* using
them because I very often just can't face all the hassle of carting the
necessary paraphernalia around with me.

I know all the IQ advantages of a dslr over a P&S but I 'd still like
something easily transportable and generally less 'fussy'

So my question is, which is the *best* non-dslr camera out there below 500
GBP??

I'd define *best* for my purposes as

1 - image quality - the lowest noise possible up to 800 iso

2 - features - optical viewfinder is a must-have as much manual control as
possible, decent lens.

Why? What's wrong with a decent resolution EVF? I have a Kodak P850 with
220k EVF and it is quite nice. Full manual controls, and also saves raw,
tiff, jpeg. Also has 12x lens (out to about 420mm 35mm equiv).

There are a number of manufacturers now making EVF models with decent
resolution - this could be a solution for you.

3 - size - doesn't have to be 'micro' but generally small and easy to carry
around.

I opted for the Kodak P series because I do a lot of hiking, bicycling and
showshoeing - the size and weight are very manageable. The P series has
since been discontinued, but may still be available refurb at the Kodak
online store - that's where I got mine.

Old November 4th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not Disclosed

Henry wrote:
Hi

First, let me pre-empt the flame brigade by saying that I *have* done a lot
of on-line research in an attempt to reach a decision - but I'd like some
thoughts from people who might have hands-on experience.

I've been using dslrs for about three years now - or rather *not* using
them because I very often just can't face all the hassle of carting the
necessary paraphernalia around with me.

I know all the IQ advantages of a dslr over a P&S but I 'd still like
something easily transportable and generally less 'fussy'

So my question is, which is the *best* non-dslr camera out there below 500
GBP??

I don't know what UK prices are, but the Canon G series always gets good
reviews. You look at the G7 or G9?

Old November 4th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Daniel Silevitch

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:59:03 -0000, Henry wrote:

I'd define *best* for my purposes as

1 - image quality - the lowest noise possible up to 800 iso

2 - features - optical viewfinder is a must-have as much manual control as
possible, decent lens.

3 - size - doesn't have to be 'micro' but generally small and easy to carry
around.

4 - build quality - as rugged as possible

The Canon G series (G9 is the most recent) would be a good place
to start. See, for example, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

Unfortunately, optical viewfinders are becoming rarer as they get
squeezed out by ever-larger LCD screens, so that will limit your
selection.

-dms

Old November 4th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John T

I have seen the light

this September I went to Italy without my D70 and various lenses. My knees
are knackered and the thought of carrying all the kit in my Computrekker
rucksack put a cloud on the trip.

So out I went and after reading reviews bought a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 at
Jessops for GBP249.

The results are stunning, has a decent wide end and image stabilisation
which neant I could hand hold down to 1/15th in Churches etc,

I feel my Nikon would have only improved with the 12-24mm for buildings etc.

There is no viewfinder which took some getting used to, and I miss "a"
control and RAW, but for that price a steal. Off to India in January, and
awaiting next model which may have RAW. I am now selling my DSLR as they are
now redundant as far as my standard of photography is concerned

JT

Old November 4th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

"Henry" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

How about a Pentax with a pancake lens? I know you didn't ask for this, but
to me it looks like a winning combination, fairly small, high quality shots,
built in IS. My small package is a Canon 400XTi with a 50mm f1.8, very
lightweight for outdoor shots, for indoor, I put on a 28mm f1.8 lens but it
is a bit heavier. I have given up on P+S cameras, the quality of the images
are too disappointing when compared to the quality obtained with a DSLR,
without mentionning the slowness of a P+S when it comes to being ready for
a picture or multiple pictures.

Jean

Old November 4th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
flambe

Having carted dSLRs and lenses on international treks over the last several
years I am increasingly disenchanted with the weight and heft of the gear.
Shooting raw with a high quality EVF, image stabilized long zoom camera
yields very reasonably high quality images. Side by side comparison
generally favors dSLR images but under most circumstances the differences
are underwhelming. The differences are mostly visible in sectional
enlargements on a computer monitor and tend to be cancelled out by the
printing process. This is not the way the final image will be viewed in any
media, electronic or print.
Most of us are not shooting for National Geographic or full page commercial
color ads.
If your final aim is a high quality ink jet print, and you do not routinely
print larger than 8.5 x 11, and you have a handle on image processing I
doubt you will miss your dSLR.

Old November 4th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sally

"flambe" wrote in
et:
Having carted dSLRs and lenses on international treks over the last
several years I am increasingly disenchanted with the weight and heft of
the gear. Shooting raw with a high quality EVF, image stabilized long
zoom camera yields very reasonably high quality images. Side by side
comparison generally favors dSLR images but under most circumstances the
differences are underwhelming.

Depends on your "most circumstances". You can take very nice outdoors photos
with most P&S cameras in bright sunlight situations. In low light situations
(with or without flash), the difference vs. a SLR will be very noticable.
The long zoom EVF cameras are especially noisy in low light becuase of their
very small image sensors.