Canon 300D question

Old August 7th 04, 02:47 PM
louis xiv

Default Canon 300D question

Help!

I recently looked into buying a Canon 300D and was told by the vendor that
although the Canon lenses I have (bought for use with an EOS Film Camera)
would fit I would be better buying the 300D Kit (with lens) as the digital
version "loses some of the range of the lens".

Is this sales-patter or does he have a point? Is the lens sold as part of
the kit different in some way?

Any answers appreciated!

xiv

Old August 7th 04, 03:01 PM
leo

"louis xiv" wrote in message
k...
Help!

I recently looked into buying a Canon 300D and was told by the vendor that
although the Canon lenses I have (bought for use with an EOS Film Camera)
would fit I would be better buying the 300D Kit (with lens) as the digital
version "loses some of the range of the lens".

Is this sales-patter or does he have a point? Is the lens sold as part of
the kit different in some way?

Any answers appreciated!

xiv

He's correct - due to 1.6x crop factor. The kit lens is a good buy unless
you are going to get the 17-40/4L for wide angle.

Old August 7th 04, 03:21 PM
Mikey S.

Even if you do get the 17-40 L ( I have one, it's great glass) get the kit
18-55 lens too, it's a good value and much much lighter in weight than the L
lens. I use it when I want to travel light and just carry the camera and a
single lens, for example on a hike or on a non photographic vacation.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

hlink.net...

Old August 7th 04, 04:39 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

The 300d will multiply the length of any 'normal' lens by 1.6. My 28-300
lens becomes 45-480 at the same speeds!

This is because the digital sensor in the 300d is smaller than the area
captured in 35mm film photography. I didn't quite understand if that means
you are just using the central 2/3 of the glass in your lens, or all of the
lens, just magnifying the image, but that is what happens!

Also beware - not all lenses will automatically work on the 300d. I have a
Sigma 28-300 lens on my film based eos 300 at the moment, but and it will
need 're-chipping' before it will work on the 300d. The physical fitting is
the standard eos/af mount, but I believe there is something different in the
electronics. Newer lenses are OK, but mine is 2 or 3 years old.