Puzzle - fisheye or panoramic (picture url)

Old April 1st 05, 08:03 PM
jjs

Default Puzzle - fisheye or panoramic (picture url)

Look at the link below, please. The original image is 10,328 x 2,648 pixels.
Click on the picture for 1:1 detail sample. It is not a composite image.

Would you agree it was made with a fisheye, or was it made using a panning
lens with a very well timed electronic flash fill? Or what?

http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/drk/

Old April 1st 05, 09:04 PM
Gordon Moat

jjs wrote:

Look at the link below, please. The original image is 10,328 x 2,648 pixels.
Click on the picture for 1:1 detail sample. It is not a composite image.

Would you agree it was made with a fisheye, or was it made using a panning
lens with a very well timed electronic flash fill? Or what?

http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/drk/

My guess is something like a Seitz Roundshot. The aspect ratio seems like I
remember for one of those. It could also be a strip cameras, such as some
professors made at RIT.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old April 1st 05, 09:17 PM
jjs

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
jjs wrote:

http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/drk/

My guess is something like a Seitz Roundshot. The aspect ratio seems like
remember for one of those. It could also be a strip cameras, such as some
professors made at RIT.

Do those cameras have a flash synch that is adjustable to go off at a
certain point in the arc?

Looking in detal at the left/right ends, I can see a little bowing of
verticals.

Old April 1st 05, 09:39 PM
Gordon Moat

jjs wrote:

http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/drk/

My guess is something like a Seitz Roundshot. The aspect ratio seems like
remember for one of those. It could also be a strip cameras, such as some
professors made at RIT.

Do those cameras have a flash synch that is adjustable to go off at a
certain point in the arc?

The one I saw had no flash sync, but some others might:

http://www.roundshot.ch

It seems that it would be possible to manually fire a flash at that point.
However, considering that the sun is overhead, a simple reflector in that
position would do just as well as fill flash. That could be what was done,
instead of using a flash.

Looking in detal at the left/right ends, I can see a little bowing of
verticals.

Check out the Roundshot website. You might notice the 360º panorama images are
somewhat similar. If the camera is not perfectly level, then some distortion
can happen. One way to check would be to download the image, cut it in the
middle, and then match up the left end to the right end.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old April 1st 05, 11:15 PM
jjs

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message

It seems that it would be possible to manually fire a flash at that point.

Seems unlikely because the flash would have to be on for just the right
moment of the arc.

However, considering that the sun is overhead, a simple reflector in that
position would do just as well as fill flash. That could be what was done,
instead of using a flash.

Darn right! He could have had an assistant holding a big reflector. By gosh,
I think you put your finger on the best answer.

Old April 3rd 05, 01:37 AM
TAFKAB

First, it isn't a fisheye at all. Second, there are more ways to fill
shadows than flash. I'd guess some sort of reflector was used here, since
most pano cameras that can shoot this wide use a pivoting lens making
strobes impossible.

Old April 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
jjs

"TAFKAB" wrote in message
. com...
First, it isn't a fisheye at all. Second, there are more ways to fill
shadows than flash. I'd guess some sort of reflector was used here, since
most pano cameras that can shoot this wide use a pivoting lens making
strobes impossible.

A reader suggested that the photographer had someone holding a
reflector-fill, and that seems to make the most sense.