Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

Old February 12th 19, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

Whisky-dave wrote:
.

How many people go around with lightning protection on their person.

Most golfers are known to carry an entire set of lightning rods with them.
The question to consider is whether, or not that can be thought of as
lightning protection.

Then there is the English gentleman's ubiquitous umbrella.

Savageduck
Old February 12th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 13:50:45 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
.

How many people go around with lightning protection on their person.

Most golfers are known to carry an entire set of lightning rods with them.
The question to consider is whether, or not that can be thought of as
lightning protection.

No they can't as lighting protectors should be hogher than the golf club
you are carrying and be connected to Earth at a much lower resistance.
Otherwiose carrying a goolf club is more likely to get you killed by lightning.

....and therein lies my joke. In my mind's eye, I see a certain golfing
POTUS with his club at the top of his swing tempting a lightning strike.

Lightning protection, I don't think so, just a little ironic baiting.

Old February 12th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:50:37 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Whisky-dave wrote:
.

How many people go around with lightning protection on their person.

Most golfers are known to carry an entire set of lightning rods with them.
The question to consider is whether, or not that can be thought of as
lightning protection.

Then there is the English gentleman's ubiquitous umbrella.

There seem also to be a few pointed heads in these discussions. You
should note that these are not electrically conductive unless covered
with aluminium foil.

Eric Stevens
Old February 21st 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 13:20:24 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 8 February 2019 22:50:44 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 10:50:42 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 1 February 2019 19:46:34 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:19:26 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 31 January 2019 17:21:14 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:09:41 -0000, David B. "David wrote:

On 31/01/2019 14:47, Savageduck wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 31 January 2019 09:49:57 UTC, David B. wrote:
How do you feel about this product?

https://www.clamxav.com/sectors/education/

Have you 'tested' it?

I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....

You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it didn't need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and was free.

You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen to Macs. But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so nobody bothers writing viruses for them!

So there's no virus's then so no problem.

Mac users CLAIM there are no viruses. But there are, just less of them.

you're the one that says "so nobody bothers writing viruses for them!", do you think they happen by themselves some magical incarnation or from global warming.

Obviously I meant far less viruses, not none. Please learn basic English.

If Mac users start hearing about mac users getting viruses on their Macs that is when they;l start worrying about Mac viruses. A mac users is more likely to be hit by lightning than get a Mac virus. How many people go around with lightning protection on their person.

Plenty Mac users install virus scanners,so they must think there are viruses out there.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of course still number one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in third, with 1.65 percent.)3 May 2016

So your '**** all' is quite high in numbers.

It's very low indeed, a ninth of Windows users in fact.

We have PC's in our lab but I;d say 30% of them in use are in usze with by a student that has a macbook next to them that they own and use.

"the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use" - Whisky Dave.

Just the weird ones that buy shiny computers instead of functional ones.

Most want a computer to function, which is why given the choice they'll choice .

PCs function better, because you get twice as much for your money, and they're compatible with everyone else, and there are more programs available to install.

So in theory 9.5% of viruses should be Mac but there's no where near that many not even on ein the real world currently.

Erroneous calculation.

Why.

There's no direct correlation. Let's say there are two evil people in the UK. One has killed 1000 people, one has killed 10 people. It would be daft to say that 100 times more people would go after the first one. Most likely everyone would go after the first one.

If you were a criminal like an "arsehole"

Why have you edited my text? I wrote "Diesel".

and wanted to write a nasty virus, you'd do it for maximum impact, you'd write a Windows virus. Almost every virus writer will do the same.

No I'd write it for linux and take down servers.

But you'd only annoy the people operating the servers. Best to infect every workstation, far more work to clear it up.

And plenty servers run Windows.

But if there's more viruses for windows then if I wanted a secure safe and relible system I'd by a computer that people weren't writing viruses for.

Or just install antivirus software. I've never had a virus cause any computer I own or am responsible for any harm.

I never see anything underneath anyone I've killfiled. If your killfile can't delete replies to people you don't like, it's a piece of ****.

That's not how kill files work.

It's how mine works, and it's 10 times better.

I can use a brain which is still far better.

Why waste your time? A computer can delete a newsgroup post in a billionth of a second. And it doesn't get bored of doing so.

Lets say you fall out with Mr Smith. You killfile him so you don't see his boring posts. But you see every single bloody reply to him, which continues to annoy you. Meanwhile I never see anything written by Mr Smith ever again.

and nothing by anyone that is telling Mr smith what a wnker or idiot he is.

Why would I want to see that? I already know he's a ******.

So if Mr smith claimes the earth is square, I won;t see that post.

Why would you want to? You already decided Mr Smith isn't worth listening to.

But if someone replies to mr smith telling him he is wrong and shows the evidence I prefer to see such posts that support my view that this mr smith really is a ****** and it;s not just me that thinks that but other too.

Why do you care how many people agree he's a ******? I think you have some psychological problems.

I can also use my brain to ignore posts or just laugh at them, I can do this without teh use of a kill file because I have a functioning brain, so what IS your problem ?

We've just covered this. You're repeating yourself like that silly Aussie. And don't mention his name or this thread will vanish from my computer :-)

Macs are for people with more money than sense :-) Like BMWs.

Macs are also for people that prefer to get things done rather than worry about the hundrads of thousands of viruses that have been screwing up PCs for years.

I have never been affected by a virus. I just install AVG and forget about it.

But you still need to install it and have it running why.
I have 3 macs running without any virus protection because they don't need it.

How is "having it running" a problem? Like I said, I just install it ONCE.

It has to run at startup at least, and it has to run continiously every time you check for email or updates and most checkers do run continiously.

I'm sure the CPU doesn't mind the extra 1% load.
Old February 21st 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

[...]

obviously, you're trolling.

basic english differentiates 'none' from 'far less'.

If Mac users start hearing about mac users getting viruses on their Macs
that is when they;l start worrying about Mac viruses. A mac users is more
likely to be hit by lightning than get a Mac virus. How many people go
around with lightning protection on their person.

Plenty Mac users install virus scanners,so they must think there are viruses
out there.

actually, very few do because the risk is almost zero.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now
accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of
course still number one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in
third, with 1.65 percent.)3 May 2016

So your '**** all' is quite high in numbers.

It's very low indeed, a ninth of Windows users in fact.

We have PC's in our lab but I;d say 30% of them in use are in usze with by
a student that has a macbook next to them that they own and use.

"the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use" - Whisky
Dave.

that includes turnkey systems, servers and many other systems not used
by end users, greatly skewing the numbers.

not that it matters since that's not the reason for the lack of mac
malware.

Just the weird ones that buy shiny computers instead of functional ones.

Most want a computer to function, which is why given the choice they'll
choice .

PCs function better, because you get twice as much for your money,

nonsense.

and
they're compatible with everyone else,

false.

windows is full of microsoft proprietary crap.

and there are more programs available
to install.

also wrong.

macs have the widest selection of software because they can run all
mac, windows *and* linux apps, all natively and all at the same time.

not that it makes a difference, since what matters is quality, not
quantity.

and wanted to write a nasty virus, you'd do it for maximum impact, you'd
write a Windows virus. Almost every virus writer will do the same.

No I'd write it for linux and take down servers.

But you'd only annoy the people operating the servers. Best to infect every
workstation, far more work to clear it up.

nope. it's best to attack the infrastructure, which will affect
everyone using it, easily hundreds of millions of people.

And plenty servers run Windows.

nowhere near as many as which are running linux or bsd.

But if there's more viruses for windows then if I wanted a secure safe and
relible system I'd by a computer that people weren't writing viruses for.

Or just install antivirus software. I've never had a virus cause any
computer I own or am responsible for any harm.

that you know of.

there are active zerodays out there, which means your antimalware
scanner you're using won't help, plus antimalware utilities almost
always cause problems of their own, worse than the problem they're
claiming to solve.
Old February 22nd 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David in Devon
wrote:

Conversations between Whisky-dave and Commander Kinsey truly brighten my
day! :-D

then you have no life.

I do believe that they have both carried out similar work in similar
environments but Whisky-dave sounds much more of a Union man. ;-)

Can either of them provide a simple 'Job Description' for their role, as
I still find it somewhat confusing?

stalk attempt.
Old February 22nd 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David in Devon
wrote:

[...]

He's pretty good at it, don't you think?

almost as good as you.

If Mac users start hearing about mac users getting viruses on their Macs
that is when they;l start worrying about Mac viruses. A mac users is more
likely to be hit by lightning than get a Mac virus. How many people go
around with lightning protection on their person.

Plenty Mac users install virus scanners,so they must think there are
viruses out there.

actually, very few do because the risk is almost zero.

From where do you get your statistics?

it's not a statistic.

I was forbidden to ask on the ASC because they classified my question as
a 'Poll".

s/p/tr/

We have PC's in our lab but I;d say 30% of them in use are in usze with by
a student that has a macbook next to them that they own and use.

"the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use" -
Whisky
Dave.

that includes turnkey systems, servers and many other systems not used
by end users, greatly skewing the numbers.

not that it matters since that's not the reason for the lack of mac
malware.

What *IS* the reason?

difficulty.

and wanted to write a nasty virus, you'd do it for maximum impact, you'd
write a Windows virus. Almost every virus writer will do the same.

No I'd write it for linux and take down servers.

But you'd only annoy the people operating the servers. Best to infect
every
workstation, far more work to clear it up.

nope. it's best to attack the infrastructure, which will affect
everyone using it, easily hundreds of millions of people.

And plenty servers run Windows.

nowhere near as many as which are running linux or bsd.

Bsd? This? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkel...e_Distribution

yes, and its variants.

there are active zerodays out there, which means your antimalware
scanner you're using won't help, plus antimalware utilities almost
always cause problems of their own, worse than the problem they're
claiming to solve.

Do you *STILL* recommend using ClamXAV?

i've never said anything one way or the other.

stop lying about what people say.
Old February 27th 19, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 15:37:20 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 22 February 2019 12:27:58 UTC, David in Devon wrote:
Conversations between Whisky-dave and Commander Kinsey truly brighten my
day! :-D

I do believe that they have both carried out similar work in similar
environments but Whisky-dave sounds much more of a Union man. ;-)

Can either of them provide a simple 'Job Description' for their role, as
I still find it somewhat confusing?

depends what you mean by simple. The only one I have was last updated 2008.

and it's now called a Job Profile .

Job Purpose

To provide technical services primarily in the Electronics Laboratory of the Electronic Engineering Department, acting as a member of the Teaching Support Team, in order to fulfil the objective of providing high quality instruction and support to staff and students. The post holder must ensure the safety of all operations and activities that take place in the area, and that all personnel adhere to the Safety Rules of the Department.

Main Responsibilities

1. To be responsible for the day to day running and maintenance of the Electronics Laboratory.

2. To ensure that Health, Safety and Security Regulations are obeyed by all users of the laboratory.

3. To organise and supervise the Electronics Laboratory for teaching and project purposes.

4. To advise and assist staff and students with appropriate techniques to carry out experiments and in the use of test instruments.

5. To monitor student project expenditure, and advise on better value alternatives in order to minimise waste.

6. To set up experiments for the scheduled laboratory sessions and special courses, ensuring that the required equipment, including computer equipment, is operating satisfactorily.

7. To undertake the development, modification and construction of new and improved experimental equipment as required by academic and senior staff.

8. To be responsible for the maintenance and calibration of Electronic Laboratory equipment, and to arrange off-site repairs if necessary.

9. To train and manage junior and other technical staff, including work placement students in laboratory techniques and in the operation of equipment.

10. Ordering of components, equipment and other supplies of the Teaching Support Team as required thus ensuring that adequate stock levels are maintained.

11. To perform administrative tasks necessary for the operation of the laboratories e.g. equipment and stock inventories, loan records, printing etc.

12. The collection and recording of coursework submitted to the Electronics Laboratory. Also, the storage and redistribution of coursework.

Other

1. To be responsible and comply with the College’s/Trust’s policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality, health and safety at work, ROHS and WEEE regulations

2. The duties of the post outlined above are not exhaustive, and the postholder will be expected to be co-operative and flexible, undertaking such administrative and other duties as may from time to time be reasonably expected of a member of technical grade staff in a university.

3. To adhere to the Colleges Equal Opportunities and health and safety polices.

4. To be aware and have an understanding of the data protection act

Decision Making

• Planning and prioritisation of own work schedule in order that scheduled lab experiments are set up in readiness for students.

• Choice of components and equipment, in conjunction with the Teaching Support Manager.

• To advise on equipment requirements and most cost-effective options for provision in conjunction with the Teaching Support Manager or academic staff

• Judgements involving complex facts or situations, some of which require analysis and computation.

• Testing the suitability of proposed student experiments and amending them to improve performance and optimise the students learning experience.

_____________________________

That's the first 2 pages of 5 then it gets really boring and seems to go over details again from the managment POV, and includes hieratical structures , which I know are wrong and out of date.

Safety safety safety everywhere, do you ever actually achieve anything?
Old February 27th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:28:37 -0000, David in Devon wrote:

On 22/02/2019 15:37, Whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

snip meat for brevity

That's the first 2 pages of 5 then it gets really boring and seems to go over details again from the managment POV, and includes hieratical structures , which I know are wrong and out of date.

Wow. Quite a responsibility.

All job descriptions are overstated nowadays. I bet you a binman's requirements are just as complicated.