Corrupt photo files

Old February 27th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
^Tems^[_3_]

Default Corrupt photo files

Today I shot about 290 photos on Lexar Professional 4gb.
(as advised I reformat it after each image dump)

I plugged the card into the card reader and Zoombrowser card reader came
up and all but 20 images had question marks on them.

I pulled the plug and reinstalled it this time all shots were there
except a couple of blocks of 10 - 20 with question marks. So pulled it
out again and this time a windows box popped up problem with the drive
want to scan it OK it fixed the problem as no photos on the drive now
means there is no problem.

I have used a few different data recovery utilities an salvaged 17 photos.

Now the weird bit, it also shows the corrupted files so I selected them
all and saved to local drive, it said not enough space.
I went back to the recovery program and all the corrupted files are
between 900mb and 4.4 GB each. Funny how a 4gb drive can hold 270 files
at that size.

Has anyone used any programs to fix corrupted CR2 RAW files or should I
be glad it wasn't a paid gig wipe the tears and move on?
Old February 27th 10, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
Noons

^Tems^ wrote,on my timestamp of 27/02/2010 6:59 PM:

Has anyone used any programs to fix corrupted CR2 RAW files or should I
be glad it wasn't a paid gig wipe the tears and move on?

Ouch! I think the last option is the one to take...
Old February 27th 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
Peter Huebner

In article ,
says...

[...]

I've used PhotoRec with good success to recover data from a scragged
harddrive in the past. Alas, those were .jpg and other, recognized
formats. I don't know if PhotoRec could recognize RAW files.
Worth a try in any event, if you haven't used it yet. It actually does a
sector based bit by bit search, rather than trying to work with the file
system; it's also non-intrusive.
At the time I specifically built a linux box to pull data off the
damaged drive (very steep learnig curve, that was), but there's also a
Windows version out.

h.t.h., -Peter
Old February 27th 10, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
JimKramer[_2_]

"^Tems^" wrote in message
[...]

CardRecovery will let you pull any extension files off a corrupt card.
www.cardrecovery.com

Lexar is the only memory card I have ever had any trouble with and I won't
use the brand. I have recovered many things for friends from Lexar media.

Most of the time the errors are just mistakes in data pointers so they
indicate the start and stop of the files incorrectly. It's always
interesting to hear that your card will now hold an order of magnitude more
data then it did when you got it. :-)

Use film next time and this won't be an issue. :-)

-Jim

Old February 27th 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
Alan Browne

On 10-02-27 2:59 , ^Tems^ wrote:
[...]

Good utilities of the sort ignore the disk file structure and look for
file patterns on the disk, however, CR2 might not be in the utility BOT.
(Bag of tricks). Search for utilities that are specific to CR2.

The only utility I've used is the SanDisk utility and it seems to work
fine - note that I was testing the utility after "erasing" and
"formatting" so all the files except 1 or 2 were recovered. It found
both raw and JPG's.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old February 27th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
son of a bitch

JimKramer wrote:
"^Tems^" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen so many stuffed sticks, I've stopped counting
All Different Brand Names, but probably made in the same factory in
china.

Old February 27th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,aus.computers
Paul Furman

^Tems^ wrote:
Today I shot about 290 photos on Lexar Professional 4gb.
(as advised I reformat it after each image dump)

I plugged the card into the card reader and Zoombrowser card reader came
up and all but 20 images had question marks on them.

I pulled the plug and reinstalled it this time all shots were there
except a couple of blocks of 10 - 20 with question marks. So pulled it
out again and this time a windows box popped up problem with the drive
want to scan it OK it fixed the problem as no photos on the drive now
means there is no problem.

I got this when some pins got bent in my CF card reader. I was able to
straighten the pins but it bent again, and again so got a new reader.

Old February 27th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael[_6_]

On 2010-02-27 02:59:47 -0500, ^Tems^ said:

[...]

I'm reading this in rec.hoto.equipment.35mm (don't know if it's
cross-posted elsewhere) so I feel comfortable in suggesting you switch
storage media and try Velvia, Ektachrome, Kodachrome (until Dec 31),
Portra, Ektar or Tri-X. Of course they're not re-writable, but they
won't do what your Lexar card did, either.
--
Michael

Old February 28th 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Huebner

In article 2010022713531416807-adunc79617@mypacksnet, adunc79617
@mypacks.net says...

I'm reading this in rec.hoto.equipment.35mm (don't know if it's
cross-posted elsewhere) so I feel comfortable in suggesting you switch
storage media and try Velvia, Ektachrome, Kodachrome (until Dec 31),
Portra, Ektar or Tri-X. Of course they're not re-writable, but they
won't do what your Lexar card did, either.

memory flash: I used to use Ektachrome extensively. Gobsmacked (after
relocating half way round the world 28 years ago) when I found out that
there was nobody processing it here in NZ, they had to mail it to
Australia to get it developed .... sigh.

-P.
Old February 28th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael[_6_]

On 2010-02-27 23:44:27 -0500, Peter Huebner said:

In article 2010022713531416807-adunc79617@mypacksnet, adunc79617
@mypacks.net says...

I'm reading this in rec.hoto.equipment.35mm (don't know if it's
cross-posted elsewhere) so I feel comfortable in suggesting you switch
storage media and try Velvia, Ektachrome, Kodachrome (until Dec 31),
Portra, Ektar or Tri-X. Of course they're not re-writable, but they
won't do what your Lexar card did, either.

memory flash: I used to use Ektachrome extensively. Gobsmacked (after
relocating half way round the world 28 years ago) when I found out that
there was nobody processing it here in NZ, they had to mail it to
Australia to get it developed .... sigh.

-P.

Extachrome? No E6 in New Zealand? Unbelievable. Well, it's easy enough
to process youself. All you need is a changing bag, a tank and accurate
temperatures.
--
Michael