More Macro Madness

Old October 11th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default More Macro Madness

I'm up to 9:1 now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622433752649/
Reversed spiratone 35mm f/3.5 bellows lens on Nikon Ai-S 50mm f/1.8
'pancake' lens.

Bounce has become a problem again. I have to lean heavy books against
the rig, set the timer, etc.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 11th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BobS

Jeeeezusssss - Don't you ever clean your pens......;-)

That is really shallow DOF - wow !

Bob S.

Old October 11th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DSLR-Troll Wannabe

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:20:34 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

Jeeeezusssss - Don't you ever clean your pens......;-)

That is really shallow DOF - wow !

Precisely why DSLRs are totally useless for this kind of task. Something
that none of them will ever realize. They're far too preoccupied trying to
erroneously justifying why they wasted all that money, effort, and time.
None of which they'll ever get back.

Old October 11th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
I'm up to 9:1 now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622433752649/

Reversed spiratone 35mm f/3.5 bellows lens on Nikon Ai-S 50mm f/1.8
'pancake' lens.

Bounce has become a problem again. I have to lean heavy books against
the rig, set the timer, etc.

At this point the DOF is so shallow as to be very distracting. Crystal
structure light effects are becoming ugly too (eye of the beholder, I
suppose).

Can you get smaller apertures?

Old October 11th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default |AX| More Macro Madness

anti-DSLR-Troll wrote:
BobS wrote:

Jeeeezusssss - Don't you ever clean your pens......;-)

That is really shallow DOF - wow !

Precisely why DSLRs are totally useless for this kind of task. Something
that none of them will ever realize. They're far too preoccupied trying to
erroneously justifying why they wasted all that money, effort, and time.
None of which they'll ever get back.

I already showed you how DSLRs are perfectly capable of stopping down
and how there's a price to pay, in our last lesson, but I'll make it
easier with a pair of crops.

Crops side by side:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7603231101723/

Originals:

Shallow DOF at f/16, notice the web-like hairs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622353514479/

Stopped down to f/90 lacks detail:

Old October 11th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard[_5_]

"DSLR-Troll Wannabe" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:20:34 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

Jeeeezusssss - Don't you ever clean your pens......;-)

That is really shallow DOF - wow !

Precisely why DSLRs are totally useless for this kind of task. Something
that none of them will ever realize. They're far too preoccupied trying to
erroneously justifying why they wasted all that money, effort, and time.
None of which they'll ever get back.

OK. I asked you before how you would do stuff like this. Paul replied with a
whole bunch of informative stuff. From you... nothing. Are you going to come
up with something constructive or what?

Thank you.

Old October 11th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Richard wrote:
"DSLR-Troll Wannabe" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:20:34 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

Jeeeezusssss - Don't you ever clean your pens......;-)

That is really shallow DOF - wow !

Precisely why DSLRs are totally useless for this kind of task. Something
that none of them will ever realize. They're far too preoccupied trying to
erroneously justifying why they wasted all that money, effort, and time.
None of which they'll ever get back.

OK. I asked you before how you would do stuff like this. Paul replied with a
whole bunch of informative stuff. From you... nothing. Are you going to come
up with something constructive or what?

One aspect we're missing here is that as long as he's obsessed with this
P&S v. DSLR silliness, he stays in his mom's basement and is off the
streets.

All in all, pretty good value to society.
Old October 11th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_31_]

* Paul Furman wrote :
I'm up to 9:1 now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622433752649/
Reversed spiratone 35mm f/3.5 bellows lens on Nikon Ai-S 50mm f/1.8
'pancake' lens.

Bounce has become a problem again. I have to lean heavy books against
the rig, set the timer, etc.

Getting some good magnification there. Have you looked at focus
stacking to get a greater DoF?

--
Troy Piggins
Old October 12th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Troy Piggins wrote:
* Paul Furman wrote :
I'm up to 9:1 now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622433752649/
Reversed spiratone 35mm f/3.5 bellows lens on Nikon Ai-S 50mm f/1.8
'pancake' lens.

Bounce has become a problem again. I have to lean heavy books against
the rig, set the timer, etc.

Getting some good magnification there.
Have you looked at focus stacking to get a greater DoF?

I haven't tried software, sometimes manually patching together:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7622353514479/

Ack, I'm going to need to look into that, I just tried an old projector
lens in front of the 80, the best results yet... which means it really
is better a little wider like f/8 which is f/23 if you figure extension.