olympus lenses

Old April 7th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Hoyle

Default olympus lenses

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:43:11, SMS wrote:
dj_nme wrote:
Alan Hoyle wrote:
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:55:36, SMS wrote:
geoff smith wrote:
I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can
they be used with a digital camera ?

Unfortunately, Olympus does not make any digital bodies that can use
the Olympus OM mount lenses.

This is factually inaccurate and disingenuous.

It's absolutely correct: you even contradict yourself with what you
wrote below:

Yes, that was pretty funny. Maybe I should have said, "many different
cameras from different manufacturers can use OM lenses in manual mode
with an adapter." But of course he knew what I meant, he's just being an
idiot.

It strikes me as disingenuous to, in a single post, say that you _can_
do this with a Canon DSLR with an OM-EOS adapter, and then say you
_can't_ do it with an Olympus DSLR, when similar OM-4/3 adapters are
readily available. Which is precisely what you did in the post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...7111653b?hl=en

Unless by "being an idiot" you mean that I followed up to a troll.
In which case, you got me again.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old April 8th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"dj_nme" wrote:
In that case, Canon also makes a great series of EOS bodies which can
(with the appropriate adapter) use OM lenses.
It's not as good (either the Olympus 4/3 kludge or Canon EOS kludge) as
having a body which can use the lenses natively, because neither
"solution" allows for shutter priority auto-exposure or auto-focus as
there is no aperture coupling and no AF drive coupling.

Funny, my Oly lenses didn't have AE or AF on my OM-1...

Too bad if you're one of the (lucky?) few who bought an OM-707 or OM-101
and some "Olympus OM for AF lenses" to go with it.
Then there's the "double whammy" of no aperture coupling and no AF
coupling to contend with.

For landscape work on a 5D/5DII, the Oly wide angle lenses would be more
than usable.

The more accurate distance scales would be a big plus. Manual aperture
operation is a pain, but not a show stopper. Until Zeiss comes out with the
18, 21, and 35mm lenses in Canon mounts, the Oly lenses are one of the
better options.

Some determined people also have adapted OM lenses to fit a Pentax DSLR
camera, by replacing the OM mount with a custom machined PK lens-mount.

It always fascinates me: the extent to which some people will go to in
order to use particular/peculiar lens and body combinations.