Olympus: Are they F----- CRAZY?

Old March 25th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default Olympus: Are they F----- CRAZY?

I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!! Are they insane?
Part of what makes the Panasonic G1 a good choice is its terrific 1.3 meg.
EVF, which is better than the cheaper Olympus optical viewfinders, by a
long shot! Now, it seems the upcoming Olympus camera will only have an
LCD!!! No optical and no EVF viewfinder at all. The only choice will be
cobbling on a rangefinder-type viewfinder on the hotshoe.
I hope the report I read was wrong about this.

Old March 25th 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Rich wrote:
I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!! Are they insane?
Part of what makes the Panasonic G1 a good choice is its terrific 1.3 meg.
EVF, which is better than the cheaper Olympus optical viewfinders, by a
long shot! Now, it seems the upcoming Olympus camera will only have an
LCD!!! No optical and no EVF viewfinder at all. The only choice will be
cobbling on a rangefinder-type viewfinder on the hotshoe.
I hope the report I read was wrong about this.

Although I am no fan of EVFs, I agree that a camera at this level with
no real viewfinder is a bad thing.
Old March 25th 09, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bruce[_4_]

Rich wrote:

I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!! Are they insane?
Part of what makes the Panasonic G1 a good choice is its terrific 1.3 meg.
EVF, which is better than the cheaper Olympus optical viewfinders, by a
long shot! Now, it seems the upcoming Olympus camera will only have an
LCD!!! No optical and no EVF viewfinder at all. The only choice will be
cobbling on a rangefinder-type viewfinder on the hotshoe.
I hope the report I read was wrong about this.

Perhaps Olympus actually has a good idea here.

The #1 problem with the Panasonic G1 is that it tries to be an SLR even
though, without a reflex mirror, it isn't. Buyers' expectations of the
G1's EVF are therefore high. Unfortunately, the G1's EVF falls far
short of all but the worst reflex viewing systems, so users expecting a
small DSLR are likely to be disappointed.

So why not be honest and make a point and shoot digicam with a much
better than average (for P&S) sensor and interchangeable lenses? By
doing this, buyers' expectations are kept reasonable - they don't expect
it to be an SLR. I think there is a very good chance that the Olympus
Micro Four Thirds camera will exceed all of those expectations while
remaining an easy-to-use P&S with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 25th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
bowzer

"Bruce" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!! Are they insane?
Part of what makes the Panasonic G1 a good choice is its terrific 1.3 meg.
EVF, which is better than the cheaper Olympus optical viewfinders, by a
long shot! Now, it seems the upcoming Olympus camera will only have an
LCD!!! No optical and no EVF viewfinder at all. The only choice will be
cobbling on a rangefinder-type viewfinder on the hotshoe.
I hope the report I read was wrong about this.

Perhaps Olympus actually has a good idea here.

The #1 problem with the Panasonic G1 is that it tries to be an SLR even
though, without a reflex mirror, it isn't. Buyers' expectations of the
G1's EVF are therefore high. Unfortunately, the G1's EVF falls far
short of all but the worst reflex viewing systems, so users expecting a
small DSLR are likely to be disappointed.

My impression of the G1's EVF is much better than yours, it seems. While it
is not an equal of an SLR viewfinder, it is very, very good and more than
adequate for it's intended use. I see all cameras going this way in the
future, really. Definitely not "far short."

Old March 25th 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bruce[_4_]

"bowzer" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:

Perhaps Olympus actually has a good idea here.

The #1 problem with the Panasonic G1 is that it tries to be an SLR even
though, without a reflex mirror, it isn't. Buyers' expectations of the
G1's EVF are therefore high. Unfortunately, the G1's EVF falls far
short of all but the worst reflex viewing systems, so users expecting a
small DSLR are likely to be disappointed.

My impression of the G1's EVF is much better than yours, it seems. While it
is not an equal of an SLR viewfinder, it is very, very good and more than
adequate for it's intended use. I see all cameras going this way in the
future, really. Definitely not "far short."

On the one hand you say it is "not an equal of an SLR viewfinder" but on
the other hand you say it is "Definitely not "far short.""

Make up your mind!

My mind is made up. It is good for an EVF but it still falls far short
of anything except the worst DSLR reflex viewfinders.

Of course, it is no coincidence that the worst DSLR reflex viewfinders
are to be found in Four Thirds DSLRs from Panasonic and Olympus. If
your standards are that low, it makes it slightly easier to persuade
your DSLR customers that an EVF is a viable alternative.

Old March 25th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Hoyle

In rec.photo.digital Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Rich says...
I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!!

Where did you read this?

The mockups of the Olympus u4/3 camera have no EVF aside from the rear
screen:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...our_thirds.asp

I don't see what the problem is. If u4/3 is successful, I would
imagine they will come out with additional models, likely with EVF
eyepiece. Besides, Panasonic already has a couple models with an
"SLR-like" design with an eyepiece EVF and there is little reason
for Oly to start competing with them in the first iteration of their
"EVIL" cameras.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

Old March 25th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Bruce wrote:
Rich wrote:

[...]

Up until about 6 months ago I was doing the odd bit of work
in camera retail. The number 1 ask that customers had when
shopping for their 2nd camera was for a viewfinder. The
usual gripe was that they'd bought their first digital with
no viewfinder and found that the rear LCD was useless in the
aussie sun.

As a result of this requirement, for quite a while Canon A
series, ixus and Sony W series were our best sellers, until
they too dropped the VF from most of their range. Quite a
lot of customers would actually purchase a big zoom with
it's EVF, or an SLR with it's optical finder, even if they
originally wanted a compact, just so they could get a
viewfinder.

IMO even a bad EVF is preferable to only having a rear
screen. Rear screens are handy in some situations, but I'd
hate to have it as my only choice.
--
Have you ever noticed that all legal documents need to be
completed in black or blue pen, but we vote in pencil?
Old March 26th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

Alan Hoyle wrote:
In rec.photo.digital Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Rich says...
I just found out their u4/3rds model will have NO EVF!!!

Where did you read this?

The mockups of the Olympus u4/3 camera have no EVF aside from the rear
screen:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...our_thirds.asp

I don't see what the problem is. If u4/3 is successful, I would
imagine they will come out with additional models, likely with EVF
eyepiece.

It would be wise of Olympus to follow Ricoh and have an optional EVF
(like the GX100 & GX200) that fits into the flash shoe, if they've set
their mind to a body with no eye-level viewfinder.

Besides, Panasonic already has a couple models with an
"SLR-like" design with an eyepiece EVF and there is little reason
for Oly to start competing with them in the first iteration of their
"EVIL" cameras.

There is also the possibility that Olympus went down the other road
because they could not develop (nor purchase) a high enough resolution
screen to make a suitably good quality EVF.
Perhaps the mock-up shown at the photo fairs isn't a true indication
that they will actually make a Mu4/3 camera?
Who knows?
Apart for the management and development team at Olympus, of course.
Old March 26th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Alan Hoyle wrote:

I don't see what the problem is. If u4/3 is successful, I would
imagine they will come out with additional models, likely with EVF
eyepiece. Besides, Panasonic already has a couple models with an
"SLR-like" design with an eyepiece EVF and there is little reason
for Oly to start competing with them in the first iteration of their
"EVIL" cameras.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Just because Panasonic has an EVF,
Olympus has to _not_ have one so they won't be seen as competing. An EVF
or optical viewfinder should be a no-compromise requirement when
selecting a camera.