Anyone Recognize This Lens

Old January 31st 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Anyone Recognize This Lens

dj_nme wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
Paul Furman writes:

http://patternassociates.com/rico/leica/misc/ouago4.jpg

The "Leica M-EOS" indicates a Leica M mount to Canon EF mount
converter. This would have to have optical element(s) since the
flange distance of the former is much shorter than the latter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_M_mount

The "OUAGO" item looks to be converting Leica M39 screw mount to some
bayonet with focusing, and the item on the left looks to be another
focuser.

The last link explains the Visoflex SLR adaptation of some sort,
for Leica lenses (roughly translated):
http://elshaw.tripod.com/Visoflex/Visoflex.html

So this is apparently two glass 'teleconverters' attached to a
pre-leica lens to make them focus on a 35mm DSLR?

I doubt that the Leica Visoflex to Canon EOS adapter has any optical
elements in it.
Leica produced special long register distance lenses which could only be
focused via the use of a Visoflex on a Leica RF camera.
The Visoflex is a reflex housing which attaches to the front of a Leica
RF camera (there were versions for both M39 and M bayonet) and turns it
into a clunky SLR camera.
The registration (mount to film plane) distance for the Visoflex is much
greater than the registration distance for EOS.

So the lens ought to mount without any adapters - or rather with some
sort of very slim adapter, right? I would try just holding it up to the
mount & moving in & out to see. The Leica to Canon adapter has extra
glass in it but the lens is designed to not need that (albeit for a
different model).

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 1st 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:34:21 -0700, "Homer" wrote:
: Yes its off of an old Leica rangefinder camera.
: Its a Leitz Wetzlar.

Well, yes, I suppose. In the off chance that any members of the group are too
young to remember the ubiquity of the Leica, "Ernst Leitz" was the company
that made the lens, and Wetzlar was the city in Germany where it was located.

: Its attached to the camera with a Leica to Nikon adaptor.

Really? Then why does the camera say "Canon"?

Bob
Old February 2nd 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dj_nme[_2_]

Paul Furman wrote:
dj_nme wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
Paul Furman writes:

[...]

Because the Viso lenses have a long registration distance, that should work.
If the Leica RF lens which you have has the lens elements in a group
which can unscrew from the barrel, then this unit can be used with the
appropriate Visoflex adapter [guess what: a different one for almost
each lens. Did Leica would try to gouge it's users? ;-)] on a Visoflex
or via a metal ring adapter on almost any SLR camera.
I suspect that the Leica to SLR adapters with optical elements are
intended for using M39 or M lenses straight on an SLR camera, it should
have something like "Leica M to EOS" or "M39 to EOS" stamped on it's
barrel somewhere.