Tripod Question

Old January 15th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike

Default Tripod Question

Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take birdwatching
on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking my camera for a
swim

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old January 15th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Mike wrote

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low

I use a Slik and they call it a Leg Angle Lock. It allows you
to step the leg angle out in increments, lowering the hight of
the head. What you don't want is a Centre-stayed tripod.
You need independant legs. Also watch out for the central
column, which can restrict how low to the ground you can get.
Slik get by this by allowing the bottom half of the column to
be unscrewed. You may also find an Anglefinder indepespensible
in low angle shooting.

Chris

Old January 15th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take
birdwatching on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking
my camera for a swim

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi.

Have a look at Benbo Tripods.

This sort of thing is exactly what they are designed for.

BTW I don't own one, I don't need that sort of function for my Photography.

Roy G

Old January 15th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Mike wrote:
Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take birdwatching
on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking my camera for a
swim

Tripods with "reversible columns" might also interest you.

Anyway...

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/tripods/benbo.html
http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

BugBear
Old January 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:04:09 -0500, Mike wrote:

Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take birdwatching
on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking my camera for a
swim

Thanks in advance

Mike

How about a small 'tabletop' tripod as an accessory? They are inexpensive
and give you a height of a few inches.

Old January 15th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Flavius

if you want to save a few dollars watch for a used older tripod many
of them allowed you too unscrew the head and reattach it at the bottom of
the column

I use one for macro work

YMMV

.. .

Old January 15th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JD

Chris Gilbert wrote:
Mike wrote

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low

I use a Slik and they call it a Leg Angle Lock. It allows you
to step the leg angle out in increments, lowering the hight of
the head. What you don't want is a Centre-stayed tripod.
You need independant legs. Also watch out for the central
column, which can restrict how low to the ground you can get.
Slik get by this by allowing the bottom half of the column to
be unscrewed. You may also find an Anglefinder indepespensible
in low angle shooting.

Chris

Chris makes several good point. I too would recommend an anglefinder
for low level work. I use a Bogen 3021Pro, the center column can be
unscrewed leaving a short stubby portion that allows the whole setup to
get very low. When looking through tripod specs, look for the minimum
height. If I had it to do again, I would probably go for the
carbon/magnesium model, some for weight reduction but mainly for
vibration dampening. You may also find that a ball head or a geared
head might be easier to adjust with the tripod at a very low level. I
found that handles of a 3 way pan-tilt when the tripod was very low
would occasionaly be interfering with the ground or the tripod legs.

JD
Old January 15th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

JD wrote

You may also find that a ball head or a geared head might be easier to
adjust with the tripod at a very low level.

Good idea. Thanks.

Chris

Old January 15th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Mike wrote:

Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take
birdwatching on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking
my camera for a swim

Thanks in advance

There are tripods built especially for this kind of scenario, such as
this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pod/index.html But there are
cheaper options available. I have two Manfrotto tripods that have a
removable center column, one with a bracket that holds the center column
horizontal.

It's just a question of going to a camera store and seeing what the
options are.
Old January 15th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:04:09 -0500, Mike wrote:

Guys

Does a tripod have a special name that can extend its legs out in a wide
circle keeping the camera low as opposed to holding the camera at 4 or 5
feet in the air? What I am looking for is a tripod I can take birdwatching
on the coast and get down to shore bird level without taking my camera for a
swim

I don't know that there is a specific name for that type, but Manfrotto
makes several of them, some of which also allow the center post to be
reversed or mounted horizontally, giving you a tremendous degree of
versatility.

Thanks in advance

Mike

--