I still like 35mm film.

Old September 10th 04, 03:01 AM
ittsy

Alan Browne wrote in message . ..
ittsy wrote:

It is not as simple as film vs digital. As Matt Clara wrote, the
current crop of 6 MP DSLRs are not as good as a quality 35mm slide
scan (emulsion faves may vary). Let's see what happens when the
digi-bodies start appearing for Leica M glass. That might tip the
scales to the digital side.

Digital at the current state undersamples the image so much that
better glass will not help at all with respect to sharpness.

You have a point there, but I was referring to future bodies. Things
are getting better -- FAST.

Old September 10th 04, 02:45 PM
Jerry McG

It is not as simple as film vs digital. As Matt Clara wrote, the current
crop of 6 MP DSLRs are not as good as a quality 35mm slide scan (emulsion
faves may vary). Let's see what happens when the digi-bodies start
appearing for Leica M glass. That might tip the scales to the digital
side.

Oh, oh, here we go, a Leicaphile! No, not even the hallowed halls of Leica
can overcome the fact that film is DEAD. Anyone hanging on to the notion
that film still rules, or even has a market is not paying attention to the
fact that digital is about two years past eclipsing film in the professional
domain. Meanhile, fil-o-philes entire photographic equipment inventory is
rapidly becoming SALES-PROOF, and virtually worthless. It's very simple: Go
digital NOW or DIE!

Old September 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Alan Browne

ittsy wrote:

It is not as simple as film vs digital. As Matt Clara wrote, the
current crop of 6 MP DSLRs are not as good as a quality 35mm slide
scan (emulsion faves may vary). Let's see what happens when the
digi-bodies start appearing for Leica M glass. That might tip the
scales to the digital side.

Digital at the current state undersamples the image so much that
better glass will not help at all with respect to sharpness.

You have a point there, but I was referring to future bodies. Things
are getting better -- FAST.

To match the sensors to the glass, you would need something on
the order of 20 MPix (full frame, about 14 or so cropped) ...
applies to the better lenses fron all manufs. At the current
pace it will about 5 more years, and for the folks at Leica they
have a lot of catchup ball to do ... not exactly the fastest
company either.

(not sure if there is a "Moore's Law" for mpix increase) but it
looks like 1.2 Mpix per year on average (based on the D30, D60,
10D , 20D).

Old September 10th 04, 06:12 PM
Tony

Film doesn't matter -- |Leica is dead. Just jewelry for
non-photographers. A very cheap Rolex for budget minded snobs.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old September 10th 04, 06:26 PM
Jeremy

"Jerry McG" wrote in message

It's very simple: Go
digital NOW or DIE!

Troll! Has to be one.

Old September 10th 04, 06:26 PM
Jeremy

"Jerry McG" wrote in message

It's very simple: Go
digital NOW or DIE!

Troll! Has to be one.

Old September 10th 04, 06:28 PM
ColynG©

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:12:52 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

Leica is dead.

In what way is Leica dead?

Are you saying that all Leica cameras have suddenly stopped working??

I'm wondering since my Leicas are still alive and working and film is
still readily available..

Colyn Goodson

http://home.swbell.net/colyng

http://www.colyngoodson.com
Old September 10th 04, 07:55 PM
Dallas

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:28:43 +0000, ColynG© wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:12:52 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

Leica is dead.

In what way is Leica dead?

Are you saying that all Leica cameras have suddenly stopped working??

I'm wondering since my Leicas are still alive and working and film is
still readily available..

Ignore Tony. If it's not a 1991 Digital Rebel or Elan 7 it's not worth the
effort.

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted