To Tamron or not to Tamron

Old April 20th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dimitris M

Default To Tamron or not to Tamron

No, I don't think so.
--
Dimitris M

Been looking around for a good lens to do some quality macro
photography with my Sony A-100 and the lens that keeps coming up is
the Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro. The question is with this
lens on sale running around +$450 is there another lens (Sigma, etc)
that might be similar in quality and specifications but maybe a little
less costly?

Old April 20th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

infiniteMPG wrote:
Been looking around for a good lens to do some quality macro
photography with my Sony A-100 and the lens that keeps coming up is
the Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro. The question is with this
lens on sale running around +$450 is there another lens (Sigma, etc)
that might be similar in quality and specifications but maybe a little
less costly?

The best macro lens without exception for the A-100 is the Minolta (or
Sony) 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.

It also makes a very good portrait lens.

The Tamron is excellent (but not as sharp) and is also desirable as a
portrait lens.

An interesting alternative is the Sigma 180mm macro lens which produces
extremely sharp/contrasty macros. A bit long for portraits however
(esp. on a cropped sensor).

[note: replying via Dimitris' post as I filter out gmail.com posts due
to spam].

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 21st 09, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

infiniteMPG wrote:

I have a Tamron AF 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II Macro Lens that has suited me
good for well rounded general shooting but I have been a bit
disappointed with my macro results. Which is why I am once again
shopping... won't dump the 18-250 as that and a macro lens will each
have it's place. Sounds like the Tamron AF90 would be a good
companion (unless someone has some good tips on how to get better
macro results with the AF 18-250... :O)

Your 18-250 may not give its sharpest macro results at full extension,
and may also have some back or front focus offset with very narrow
close DoF. If the results in its good range and as far as they go are
often good enough, except you'd like to get a bit closer for more
magnification, you might like to try adding a high quality compound
close up lens to the end of the zoom. Sony for example made one of
those for the R1, which will fit the slightly smaller filter ring of
the 18-250 with a step up ring.

--
Chris Malcolm

Tamron 28-300 [email protected] Digital Photography 5 January 1st 08 06:04 PM
tamron 17 50 2.8 bigfeet Digital SLR Cameras 2 August 24th 06 06:24 PM
Tamron 28-75 Chuck Digital Photography 6 October 3rd 04 08:28 AM
Re Tamron 28-300 XR Di Graham Archer Digital Photography 8 September 27th 04 12:39 AM
swop tamron p/k mount for tamron c/y (uk) jasee General Equipment For Sale 0 November 10th 03 12:16 PM