30 FPS, 4 or 5 Megs?

Old June 8th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default 30 FPS, 4 or 5 Megs?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:52:24 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

You might want to read the reviews on that first site before you rush
out to spend your money.

I'm not close to thinking of spending any money on one of those
videocams, and an hour before posting the "Features" text I had
never even heard of Sanyo's Sanyo VPC-HD2. I think that all of the
text obscured the point I was trying to make. Replaying a bit :

Huh? Show me a card that will record 30 4mp images each second!

Even if you have a fast enough processor in the camera to compress 30
images in a second, they would still need a card that can write about 30
megs per second, and a camera that could transfer that much to the card,
and still capture an image, and compress it, all at the same time. I
don't think we are there yet, or even close.

Wrong, Foveon breath! g Not that we're there, but we're close.
Very, very close. Compression seems to be much greater than you're
assuming is necessary.

The Sanyo is not a high end videocam, but it does accomplish at
least 50% of what you said isn't here yet, "or even close". It does
save 30 2mp images per second, as well as simultaneously capturing
modestly high res. still photos. Today it's $599. In a year or two
possibly half the cost. And by then $599 will probably get you a
much better videocam, maybe approaching what B&H's $900 or $2000
videocam provides today. On further consideration, would you say
that today's videocams even if not there yet, are getting close?

Old June 13th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ilya Zakharevich

Ron Hunter
], who wrote in article :
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Anybody know how close we are to full-motion video via continuous
snapshots - like 4 megs per shot at 30 shots per second?

Seems like storage is approaching the point where it could be
realistic.

Huh? Show me a card that will record 30 4mp images each second!

Why do you insist on a card? This may be a little bit out-of-reach
for 1.8" HDs, but I do not see how this is going to be a problem with
2.5" HDs, or a RAID array of two (or 3?) 1.8" HDs.

AFAIU, there is not a big deal to make high-resolution (e.g., about
25MP half-frame) or high-speed cameras TODAY. A good Leica-grade lens
would provide enough resolution for 25MP (at its best f-stop); a
sensor would be cheap to produce; the storage is not going to a
problem.

However, to PACK the necessary power consumption (and generated heat!)
into a handable body would be a major problem - with the microchip
technology of today.

Hope this helps,
Ilya
Old June 14th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:11:09 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

Ron Hunter
], who wrote in article :
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Anybody know how close we are to full-motion video via continuous
snapshots - like 4 megs per shot at 30 shots per second?

Seems like storage is approaching the point where it could be
realistic.

Huh? Show me a card that will record 30 4mp images each second!

Why do you insist on a card? This may be a little bit out-of-reach
for 1.8" HDs, but I do not see how this is going to be a problem with
2.5" HDs, or a RAID array of two (or 3?) 1.8" HDs.

Nah. Get a raid array of twenty SATA drives.

And a cart and a really long extension cord.
Old June 14th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ilya Zakharevich

AZ Nomad
], who wrote in article :
Huh? Show me a card that will record 30 4mp images each second!

Why do you insist on a card? This may be a little bit out-of-reach
for 1.8" HDs, but I do not see how this is going to be a problem with
2.5" HDs, or a RAID array of two (or 3?) 1.8" HDs.

Nah. Get a raid array of twenty SATA drives.

Kindly provide the calculations which make you arrive at these
numbers.

Thanks,
Ilya

Old June 15th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:02:08 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

AZ Nomad
], who wrote in article :
Huh? Show me a card that will record 30 4mp images each second!

Why do you insist on a card? This may be a little bit out-of-reach
for 1.8" HDs, but I do not see how this is going to be a problem with
2.5" HDs, or a RAID array of two (or 3?) 1.8" HDs.

Nah. Get a raid array of twenty SATA drives.

Kindly provide the calculations which make you arrive at these
numbers.

shoom.

right over your head.