A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital SLR Cameras
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

There's little left to talk about



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 7th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 431
Default There's little left to talk about

John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses. Reasonable
posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and curt replies,
yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed attention. Totally
off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great job of garnering
numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better than
most user's skill sets.

Tear me up and set me on fire.

Happy Holidays!


  #2  
Old December 7th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default There's little left to talk about


"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..
John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses.
Reasonable posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and
curt replies, yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed
attention. Totally off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great
job of garnering numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better
than most user's skill sets.

Tear me up and set me on fire.

Happy Holidays!


Charles,

It's not just this newsgroup.

Usenet in general seems to be going through some kind of bizarre
sociological sunspot cycle.

I subsribe to photo groups and groups related to flying and being a private
pilot. I realize that Usenet is the electronic equivalent of the wild, wild
west but all of these groups are just baraged with the most inane crap these
days. Trolls, baiting, name calling and a complete lack of (and disregard
for) educated opinions that foster discussion. Instead, all I see lately is
"I'm right, you're wrong and F*ck You if you disagree..."

The old joke used to be the screen that would someday pop up and say "You've
reached the end of the Internet, please go back."

I think it ought to read, "You've reached the end of Usenet as a source of
entertainment or information, good bye and good luck."

YMMV...

Regards,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog


  #3  
Old December 7th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,640
Default There's little left to talk about

Charles Schuler wrote:
John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses. Reasonable
posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and curt replies,
yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed attention. Totally
off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great job of garnering
numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better than
most user's skill sets.

Tear me up and set me on fire.


eh, usenet should allow people to speak freely and respectfully. But
distance and annonymity allow some of the worst spirits to break out.

I've been lucky over time to personally meet a few of the long distance
friend and aquaintances from this and other groups and will certainy
meet more over time... that makes the NG's as rewarding, nay, moreso, as
the purpose of the NG's themselves.

Cheers,
Alan
--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
  #4  
Old December 7th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 265
Default There's little left to talk about

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:35:01 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

John's post about the "stupidity" of the camera name "Rebel" got me to
thinking; but only after I looked at the long list of responses. Reasonable
posts by naive beginners can get abused here with acerbic and curt replies,
yet the name of a camera gets all sorts of detailed attention. Totally
off-topic posts (e.g. Islam) are also doing a great job of garnering
numerous and lengthy responses.

My conclusion is that there is that not all that much left to talk about
regarding DSLRs (or debate) because the new cameras are so much better than
most user's skill sets.

Tear me up and set me on fire.

Happy Holidays!



Citizen's Band of the new millennium.
  #5  
Old December 7th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 435
Default There's little left to talk about

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

Happy Holidays!



That's the reason right there - people know it ain't cheap these days.

:-)

  #6  
Old December 7th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 435
Default There's little left to talk about

"Charles" wrote in message
...

Citizen's Band of the new millennium.



I've seen that analogy before and it's fairly accurate. As in the real
world, most people are civil and respectful, but there are always a
few mouthy jerks who think they know it all (like me). And since
they're behind a computer monitor (or CB mic) they feel untouchable
and do whatever they want.

But that's why we have twit filters.

:-)

  #7  
Old December 7th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 845
Default There's little left to talk about

In article , Jay Beckman
wrote:
Charles,

It's not just this newsgroup.

Usenet in general seems to be going through some kind of bizarre
sociological sunspot cycle.

I subsribe to photo groups and groups related to flying and being a private
pilot. I realize that Usenet is the electronic equivalent of the wild, wild
west but all of these groups are just baraged with the most inane crap these
days. Trolls, baiting, name calling and a complete lack of (and disregard
for) educated opinions that foster discussion. Instead, all I see lately is
"I'm right, you're wrong and F*ck You if you disagree..."



And this is different from how usenet has always been.... how?

--
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
  #8  
Old December 7th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default There's little left to talk about


"Ken Lucke" wrote in message
...
In article , Jay Beckman
wrote:
Charles,

It's not just this newsgroup.

Usenet in general seems to be going through some kind of bizarre
sociological sunspot cycle.

I subscribe to photo groups and groups related to flying and being a
private
pilot. I realize that Usenet is the electronic equivalent of the wild,
wild
west but all of these groups are just baraged with the most inane crap
these
days. Trolls, baiting, name calling and a complete lack of (and
disregard
for) educated opinions that foster discussion. Instead, all I see lately
is
"I'm right, you're wrong and F*ck You if you disagree..."



And this is different from how usenet has always been.... how?


Can't speak for all of usenet but the rec.aviation.* newsgroups have
traditionally been an oasis of calm, rational, helpful discussions (election
years not withstanding...) against the sea of insanity that can be and often
is usenet in general. But 2006 has seen the s/n meter just peg with
inumerable OT bombardments, cross posting to and from the most illogical and
nonsensical other groups and a general disregard for the respective charters
of each group.

I've been on usenet for a fairly long time and until this year, I'd never
even established a kill file. This year, I'm having to wrack up names
faster than Death himself.

The photo groups have also been (by and large, IMO) relatively sane by
comparison but it's getting so that you can't even ask a basic photo
question without the dicussion decending into OT flames.

Maybe I'm just getting old but those who play the online equivalent of class
clown(s) (every group has at least one and regulars know who they are) who
run on about the same old crap over and over and over again have ceased
being funny.

I really do think maybe the OP is correct... There just isn't anything
worth talking (typing) about any more.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog


  #9  
Old December 7th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 845
Default There's little left to talk about

In article , Jay Beckman
wrote:

"Ken Lucke" wrote in message
...
In article , Jay Beckman
wrote:
Charles,

It's not just this newsgroup.

Usenet in general seems to be going through some kind of bizarre
sociological sunspot cycle.

I subscribe to photo groups and groups related to flying and being a
private
pilot. I realize that Usenet is the electronic equivalent of the wild,
wild
west but all of these groups are just baraged with the most inane crap
these
days. Trolls, baiting, name calling and a complete lack of (and
disregard
for) educated opinions that foster discussion. Instead, all I see lately
is
"I'm right, you're wrong and F*ck You if you disagree..."



And this is different from how usenet has always been.... how?


Can't speak for all of usenet but the rec.aviation.* newsgroups have
traditionally been an oasis of calm, rational, helpful discussions (election
years not withstanding...) against the sea of insanity that can be and often
is usenet in general. But 2006 has seen the s/n meter just peg with
inumerable OT bombardments, cross posting to and from the most illogical and
nonsensical other groups and a general disregard for the respective charters
of each group.


Naw, most of Usenet's always been that way, _especially_ ever since the
Endless September started (Today's Current Date: September 4843, 1993).

I'll admit that back in the early 80's, most of Usenet was sane, but
that was because you actually had to have a clue to even figure out how
to get on it, and the clueless n00bs hadn't even HEARD of "the
internet"(it wasn't to be known as that for some time), let alone
Usenet. Also because you knew, at least by third person, a very large
number of fellow users who often were sysadmins - and they could screw
up your peerage if you ****ed them off - you were polite for the most
part, but flame wars were not all that uncommon even back then, either.

I've been on usenet for a fairly long time and until this year, I'd never
even established a kill file. This year, I'm having to wrack up names
faster than Death himself.

The photo groups have also been (by and large, IMO) relatively sane by
comparison but it's getting so that you can't even ask a basic photo
question without the dicussion decending into OT flames.


That again is fairly common. You just have to consider the source,
ignore the flamers, and persist. Just hold your conversation outside
of the flamers, as if they didn't exist, and eventually they usually
stop tying to bait you.

Maybe I'm just getting old but those who play the online equivalent of class
clown(s) (every group has at least one and regulars know who they are) who
run on about the same old crap over and over and over again have ceased
being funny.


Yup. Ignore 'em.


I really do think maybe the OP is correct... There just isn't anything
worth talking (typing) about any more.


Totally diagree. There's lots of stuff to discuss, as long as you
stick to the topics at hand and don't get distracted off into some
pointless discussion over plastic vs. metal or some other silly
obsession that whoever might poke their nose into a thread might have.

--
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
  #10  
Old December 7th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default There's little left to talk about

"Ken Lucke" wrote in message
...

Naw, most of Usenet's always been that way, _especially_ ever since the
Endless September started (Today's Current Date: September 4843, 1993).

I'll admit that back in the early 80's, most of Usenet was sane, but
that was because you actually had to have a clue to even figure out how
to get on it, and the clueless n00bs hadn't even HEARD of "the
internet"(it wasn't to be known as that for some time), let alone
Usenet. Also because you knew, at least by third person, a very large
number of fellow users who often were sysadmins - and they could screw
up your peerage if you ****ed them off - you were polite for the most
part, but flame wars were not all that uncommon even back then, either.

I've been on usenet for a fairly long time and until this year, I'd never
even established a kill file. This year, I'm having to wrack up names
faster than Death himself.

The photo groups have also been (by and large, IMO) relatively sane by
comparison but it's getting so that you can't even ask a basic photo
question without the dicussion decending into OT flames.


That again is fairly common. You just have to consider the source,
ignore the flamers, and persist. Just hold your conversation outside
of the flamers, as if they didn't exist, and eventually they usually
stop tying to bait you.

Maybe I'm just getting old but those who play the online equivalent of
class
clown(s) (every group has at least one and regulars know who they are)
who
run on about the same old crap over and over and over again have ceased
being funny.


Yup. Ignore 'em.


I really do think maybe the OP is correct... There just isn't anything
worth talking (typing) about any more.


Totally diagree. There's lots of stuff to discuss, as long as you
stick to the topics at hand and don't get distracted off into some
pointless discussion over plastic vs. metal or some other silly
obsession that whoever might poke their nose into a thread might have.


Ken,

Good history lesson. You've renewed my faith in my fellow cyber man...well,
mostly.

Regards,

Jay


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am surprisingly solid, so I talk you. Chris Barnes Digital Photography 0 June 27th 06 11:49 AM
i want to talk like out of topic [email protected] Digital Photography 5 February 9th 06 07:03 PM
How do the SB-800 and SB-600 talk? k-man Digital Photography 5 November 9th 05 07:58 AM
Canon 300d won't talk to PC (XP) ben via PhotoKB.com Digital SLR Cameras 26 May 2nd 05 10:59 PM
All this talk of IS VK Digital ZLR Cameras 10 January 20th 05 10:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.