EOS Rebel photo storage on Media Player?

Old September 10th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat O

Default EOS Rebel photo storage on Media Player?

I am new to the digital photo world. I have an EOS Rebel XT. I am
wondering if there is a media player (i.e. iPod, iRiver,
iSomethingElse ...) that I can use to offload pictures from the EOS
Rebel? I appreciate that I can purchase additional compact flash
cards, but cannot view the pictures on those cards except with the
camera. I also understand that I can download the pictures to a
computer, but while on vacation I may or may not have a computer with
me. I am wondering if it makes sense to purchase an 80/160 GB iPod to
store photos on until we (my wife and I) return home and download them
to our computer. It would not need to be an iPod as I have not
purchased one yet. Is there a device with a fair amount of storage
that I can save pictures from the camera to directly (without a PC).
That also have a display so that we can view the pictures while still
"on the road"?

Pat O

Old September 10th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gowanoh

These things are losing favor as the prices of storage cards drop.
The Ipod camera connector is a complete and total waste of money except for
a few low grade P&S cameras with small jpeg files being copied from small,
no bigger than 128mbs, storage cards.
Although the camera connector is worthless if you use a computer
intermediary the Ipod is an excellent data storage/transport device with
speedy upload and download times.
This performance represents a deliberate decision by Apple to maintain the
image of the product as a media player rather than what it is: a tiny hard
drive with a purposefully limited operating system.
The Epson P series is discontinued. Too bad. I recently got one of these at
a bargain price. However since it is discontinued, even if you get one,
whatever raw formats it recognizes is it and will not be upgraded.
The Epson, and there are a couple of others, allow you to offload data from
your SD or CF card even if you cannot view the image.

Old September 10th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

I've looked at these, too. My requirements are a 4" screen minimum and a
hard drive for $400, and can read RAW files. Have not yet found one I like.

ups.com...

Old September 10th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"gowanoh" wrote in message
. net...
The Epson P series is discontinued.

How can I confirm this?

I see it is still on their website.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63061068

Old September 12th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

"gowanoh" wrote in message
. net...
The Epson P series is discontinued.

How can I confirm this?

I see it is still on their website.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...eBVCookie=yes&
oid=63061068

I'd never spend $700 on a device with such vague technical details.
Old September 18th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sep 11, 1:21 am, "gowanoh" wrote:
The Epson P series is discontinued. Too bad. I recently got one of these at
a bargain price. However since it is discontinued, even if you get one,
whatever raw formats it recognizes is it and will not be upgraded.
The Epson, and there are a couple of others, allow you to offload data from
your SD or CF card even if you cannot view the image.

Epson P series has NOT been continued. It is just the old models that
got discontinued:

Discontinued models:
P-2000
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63061067
P-4000
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=61555441

Current models:
P-3000
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63061067
P-5000
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63061068

Old September 18th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sep 18, 1:15 pm, wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:21 am, "gowanoh" wrote: The Epson P series is discontinued. Too bad. I recently got one of these at
a bargain price. However since it is discontinued, even if you get one,
whatever raw formats it recognizes is it and will not be upgraded.
The Epson, and there are a couple of others, allow you to offload data from
your SD or CF card even if you cannot view the image.

Epson P series has NOT been continued. It is just the old models that
got discontinued:

Discontinued models:
P-2000http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCo...
P-4000http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCo...

Current models:
P-3000http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCo...
P-5000http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCo...

Correction:
P-2000 Link http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=49164278

Old September 25th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

"gowanoh" wrote in message
. net...
The Epson P series is discontinued.

How can I confirm this?

I see it is still on their website.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...eBVCookie=yes&
oid=63061068

I'd never spend $700 on a device with such vague technical details.

Agreed! Buy a used laptop instead.