Dark EVF when trying to frame low light shots

Old January 8th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
VicTek

Default Dark EVF when trying to frame low light shots

I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

Old January 8th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist beam,
sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
that out?

Old January 8th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

VicTek wrote:
I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

Menu Setup Monitor/Finder Adjust Brightness.
Be sure to return to original brightness after you are finished shooting
in subdued lighting.
Bob Williams

Old January 8th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

VicTek wrote:
: I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
: room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree?
: The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed,
: but it's hard to frame the shot.

One trick I have used a time or two. I have one of those headband mounted
LED flashlights that swivels. I aim the light on my head toward some light
colored part of the subject (pref not the face of the subject because it
tends to make them flinch and squint) and use this one lighted point to
adjust the framing. I also tend to take a wider shot than otherwise. Then
I crop down to the desired framing in post production.

BTW I also try to aim the light at something that I am not planning on
putting in the center of the frame as this lighted object can fool the
meter into thinking the subject is properly lit all over.

One other advantage of this headlight. It makes it easier to read the LCD
displays without a backlight on my camera.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old January 8th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
VicTek

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
room
the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist beam,
sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
that out?

Yes, I'm using the onboard flash. The FZ20 does have an autofocus assist
beam which is ON. I do see the beam initially, but it is faint and turns
off as soon as the focus is established so it doesn't help much. Actually
the real problem is not centering the shot - it's being unable to see
people's faces. This sometimes results in less than complimentary facial
expressions g.

Old January 8th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
VicTek

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

VicTek wrote:
I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

Menu Setup Monitor/Finder Adjust Brightness.
Be sure to return to original brightness after you are finished shooting
in subdued lighting.
Bob Williams

Yes, I see this option. I will give it a try, thanks!

Old January 8th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"VicTek" wrote in message om...

I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some
degree? The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's hard to frame the shot.

Not useful for you (but brightening the EVF in the menu may be),
but the Sony 707/717 uses an interesting solution that permits
framing in total darkness. In a special mode, the IR light is on
and the camera is in IR mode for viewing, but just as you take
the picture the camera goes to normal color mode with flash.
Neat!
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether