Hoya Pro-1 Filters

Old May 10th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Hoya Pro-1 Filters

I'm due to get delivery of a Hoya Pro-1 UV filer to add to a Canon 24-105
lens for protection of the front element. I'm in the UK and I've had this
lens on order with warehouse express for the past two months. They tell me
that delivery from Canon is expected by the end of the week but don't know
how many they will get.

I've a few questions regarding this lens filter combination that I'd
appreciate your advice on:

Should I be concerned about the Canon lens cap being easily dislodged from
this filter?

Should I have any concerns about screwing the lens hood the accompanies the
24-105 into this filter?

If I get a non-coated polariser, which order should I connect the lens hood,
the UV filter and the polariser (if at all)?

Old May 10th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Edward Holt" wrote:

I'm due to get delivery of a Hoya Pro-1 UV filer to add to a Canon 24-105
lens for protection of the front element. I'm in the UK and I've had this
lens on order with warehouse express for the past two months. They tell me
that delivery from Canon is expected by the end of the week but don't know
how many they will get.

I've a few questions regarding this lens filter combination that I'd
appreciate your advice on:

Should I be concerned about the Canon lens cap being easily dislodged from
this filter?

Should I have any concerns about screwing the lens hood the accompanies the
24-105 into this filter?

If I get a non-coated polariser, which order should I connect the lens hood,
the UV filter and the polariser (if at all)?

You have no need for the UV filter if you are using a polariser.

Old May 10th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Edward Holt" wrote:

[...]

What if the UV filter has multi-coating and the polariser has no coating?

Old May 10th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote
(in article ):

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
You have no need for the UV filter if you are using a polariser.

What if the UV filter has multi-coating and the polariser has no coating?

That's an easy one. Replace it with a proper one that does.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old May 10th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote:

You have no need for the UV filter if you are using a polariser.

What if the UV filter has multi-coating and the polariser has no coating?

It's not like the UV filter's coating is somehow going to "transfer" to
the polarizer.

--
Jeremy |
Old May 11th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote:

What if the UV filter has multi-coating and the polariser has no coating?

Coatings need to be on both sides of each piece of glass to be effective.
The UV filter's coating has no effect on the lact of coating the other
filter has. Also you should never use a filter unless it has a specific
purpose and using multiple filters is a really bad idea. Hope this helps.

--

Stacey
Old May 11th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Edward Holt" wrote:
"Tony Polson" wrote in message
You have no need for the UV filter if you are using a polariser.

What if the UV filter has multi-coating and the polariser has no coating?

You are confusing two issues.

1. If you are using a polariser it also acts as a UV filter, so you
don't need to use both.

2. Whether or not the polariser is coated is a separate issue.

Old May 12th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote:
I'm due to get delivery of a Hoya Pro-1 UV filer to add to a Canon 24-105
lens for protection of the front element. I'm in the UK and I've had this
lens on order with warehouse express for the past two months. They tell me
that delivery from Canon is expected by the end of the week but don't know
how many they will get.

I've a few questions regarding this lens filter combination that I'd
appreciate your advice on:

Should I be concerned about the Canon lens cap being easily dislodged from
this filter?

Depends upon the filter. If the filter has a leading edge thread; no
problem. If the filter has the leading edge thread removed (the slim
type) to avoid vignetting, there's nothing there for the lens cap prongs
to grasp onto.

Should I have any concerns about screwing the lens hood the accompanies the
24-105 into this filter?

Nope. I have the lens; sometimes use a UV filter, and still use the lens
hood. I generally don't use UV or Skylight filters, except when
photographing in wind blown areas and ocean/lake shorelines.

If I get a non-coated polariser, which order should I connect the lens hood,
the UV filter and the polariser (if at all)?

To avoid vignetting I suggest you don't use both filters at the same
time. When using filters that are sized to the lens being used, the
Canon lens hood will slip over all the filters and attach to the lens
body. When using a non-coated polarized filter, always use a properly
fitted lens hood. A lens hood, thought to be merely an accessory, may
well be rated among the most valuable photo tools in your bag.

When stacking filters, a good practice is to up the size of each filter
being stacked (using step-up rings). But my better suggestion would be
just don't stack same size filters. When I find myself in dire need to
stack filters and I'm already limited to an 82mm filter, I use a Cokin
type filter and filter holder. A filter holder I often use with my
screw-in filters has been cut back from holding three filters to holding
only one slide-in filter, with the mating filter holder hood.

nick