FAB 5D2: FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

Old June 28th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default FAB 5D2: FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

On 27-06-09 22:25, Annika1980 wrote:

The coloring of the eyes is nice.

Why ISO 50?
Old June 28th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
On 27-06-09 22:25, Annika1980 wrote:

The coloring of the eyes is nice.

Why ISO 50?

Auto-ISO 1/400 sec at 400mm wide open manual?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 28th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 11:38, Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 27-06-09 22:25, Annika1980 wrote:

The coloring of the eyes is nice.

Why ISO 50?

Auto-ISO 1/400 sec at 400mm wide open manual?

Not sure why auto ISO (if used) would go that low when the shutter speed
could go to 1/800 (more desirable with a 400mm lens, I would think).
Per the EXIF he was in Program exposure - does that set ISO as well on
the 5DII?
Old June 28th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 14:34, Annika1980 wrote:
On Jun 28, 11:51 am, Alan
wrote:
Why ISO 50?

Because I can.

I like to experiment with different settings,

As good a reason as any. I may be wrong, but I believe the "natural"
gain of DSLR sensors is in the 100 - 200 ISO region. The effect of
going higher is noise from analog amplification and the effect of going
lower is compression of dynamic range.

especially when I've got
a subject that isn't going anywhere. (You can barely see where I
nailed them to the perch.)

The ISO 50 setting gives a slightly different "look" that I can't
really describe. It seems smoother, but maybe that's just the
resultant difference in sharpness due to the lower shutter speed.

As I say above, it may be due to the compressed dynamic range.

In
the video world they'd call this "more of a film look." And what do
you know, the Fab 5D2 shoots video as well.

One other reason I sometimes go down on the ISO (ooh, I like the way
that sounds!)

ISO is male.

is when I want to use some fill flash. Neither of these
pics used flash, but I took a few during the same session that did.

Great for shallow DOF and fill. Quicker than adding an ND for sure,
though I'd like to see an ISO 25 or 12 for that (without DR compression).

As for the Program Mode in the EXIF, don't believe that crap for a
second. These were Aperture Priority (the bird being fed) and Manual
Exposure (the group shot). It's rare that I shoot anything except Av
or M. The EXIF info shows up correctly in the programs I use
(BreezeBrowser& CS4), but not on Pbase for some reason. I might have
mentioned this before.

I don't memorize everything you say here. I know, I know...

Cue the idiot Noons.

Please don't.