New Mandate: The Road Less Travelled, Due July 19th, 2009

Old June 20th 09, 03:25 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default New Mandate: The Road Less Travelled, Due July 19th, 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:36:03 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:
: "tony cooper" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:50:31 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
:
:
: "Annika1980" wrote in message
: ...
:
: A literal interpretation of this mandate will produce a lot of tired,
: cliched photographs of dirt roads, walking paths, etc..
: The prohibition against archived shots might make this one, "The
: Mandate Less Entered."
:
: Like most of them now...
:
: We tried Filters, and got marginal response. Punography, the mandate many
: considered to be awful, got 11 entries while Filters, something deemed to
: be
: easier, got 18. Wow. I'm at a loss as to how to encourage participation,
: given my time constraints. Aside from making it completely open week to
: week
: with no restriction on archive shots, that is...
:
:
: I doubt if there is anything you can do to encourage participation.
: There are posters here who are willing to post their photographs and
: be subjected to praise or criticism, and there are posters here who
: are afraid to do so. The latter group includes some posters who
: natter on and on about the techniques of photography, but never post
: their own work to show that they can actually put those techniques
: into practice. They are usually adamant about being right about
: everything, but won't show the pudding.

The answer (obviously?) is not to make it unnecessarily difficult for those
who are willing to enter to do so.

: I've been surprised by the lack of feedback following shoot-in publication,
: if you look at the number of posts I think you'll find people are happier to
: debate the next mandate title and have a pop at Bowser than they are to
: stick their necks out and either post a photo or post feedback for anyone
: else. Which is a shame really as I think most of us could do with some
: criticism to help us improve (with the exception on Tony Cooper who's photos
: are generally excellent).

I've posted comments on several of the mandates, but haven't done so lately,
mainly because I haven't had time to submit photos and don't want to criticize
when I haven't entered. (Although there were at least two months when pictures
I submitted didn't make it into the show. They weren't good enough to make an
issue of, so I didn't.) Both my wife and I do plan to enter this time, and
I'll try to post comments.

Bob
Old June 21st 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

daveFaktor wrote:

Here's a simple formula. Lift your game. Be neutral. Keep personal
attack out of your posts and accept criticism for what it is...

Extremely prescient advice! Would that all follow it......

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 21st 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:02:48 +1000, daveFaktor
wrote:

The serious problem with shootin is the participants themselves. The
regular contributors (I am no longer one) have somehow managed to
dissuade potential contributors from participating.

How so? I have been participating since the Shoot-In was revived some
months ago. What have I done that discourages your participation?

Here's a simple formula. Lift your game. Be neutral. Keep personal
attack out of your posts and accept criticism for what it is...

I don't recall any personal criticism in any of the posts commenting
on the Shoot-In entries.

I don't know if I'll enter anything this month or not. If I don't, it
won't be because of anything to do with comments by others on subjects
outside of the Shoot-In. It won't be because of comments by others on
my prior submissions.

It will be solely because I haven't come up with an idea that fits the
mandate and a photograph that pleases me.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida