Pasting from IrfanView to PaintShop Pro

Old August 23rd 14, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default Pasting from IrfanView to PaintShop Pro

On 8/22/2014 10:08 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
PeterN wrote:

Open a blank image in PSP, and past into the new image.

Hmm, you cannot paste into an existing (opened) image? Wouldn't that
severely limit the functionality of any image editor? How would you get
new stuff into the image that you are *editing*?

Didn't mean that. Meant you must open some image before you paste. The
paste will be a new layer. I thought you were trying to open an IV image
with no image open in PSP.

--
PeterN
Old August 23rd 14, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
VanguardLH

Terry Pinnell wrote:

The issue remains unsolved. Based on feedback from others, including
the Corel PSP Forum, the problem doesn't arise in 4.20 (my PC), 4.28
or 4.30. Only 4.38 (my PC).

Presumably those are versions for Irfanview, not PSP.

Irfan understandably insists it cannot be an IrfanView problem. Here's
the email exchange to date:
Irfan: "Sorry, if there is any bug, it is in the program which does
the Paste
operation ;-)
= nothing in IrfanView ... the pasted image is sitting in the
Clipboard, not in IrfanView."

Once in the clipboard, and since the paste has content come from the
clipboard, Irfanview is not involved in the paste operation to PSP.
However, it is possible the image in the clipboard is invalid (corrupt,
invalid format, some header info missing).

I'm beginning to suspect it's a conflict with some other app. And/or a
memory limit issue. I have 4 GB physical RAM, of which XP uses around
3 GB. Seems plenty but I do tend to have a lot of stuff running
simultaneously.

That's why I asked how much free memory you had with Irfanview and PSP
both loaded and the image already loaded in Irfanview. I'm sure PSP
will need more memory when you add the clip to it editor. I also asked
about pagefile size because there is lots of bad advice floating out in
the Internet about disabling or severely reducing the size of the
Windows pagefile because those folks don't understand that apps that ask
for buffer space in the pagefile will fail if they can't get it. There
may be gobs of free system RAM but the app wants some pagefile space.

Can you copy from IrfanView and then paste into MS Paint or Paint.Net
without those apps crashing?

Are you using anything other than the Windows clipboard? Are you
perhaps using some clipboard manager to enhance the features of clip
management or control?

Same problem happen when you boot Windows into its safe mode, load an
image in Irfanview, copy a selection to the clipboard, and then paste
that clip into PSP? If that works, use msconfig.exe to disable the
startup items, reboot and test. If that works, reenable one startup
item and reboot to retest. Continue reenabling startup items one at a
time until the problem returns which means the last reenabled startup
item is at fault.
Old August 23rd 14, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:57:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

OK!
As I said, I haven't a clue how PSP, & IrfanView work. I just demoed a
way it can be dne with SW I am familiar with. However, since he asked,
how well does your drag&drop method work to get the new image into the
same work space of an image already open & active in PSP?

I've done a lot of this in the passed but I was disconcerted to find I
had forgotten how - hence the delay. But here it is:

Starting with a new image:

1. Drag and drop the second image into PSP. PSP will open up a new
completely independent image.

2. Select the new image. Then click the selection tool and click the
image. A dotted line should them surround the entire new image.

3. Ctrl+shift+C (i.e. Copy special) and the whole of the new image
is copied.

dropped into the original image on a new layer. Then you can do
whatever you like with it.

It turns out that it was the need to 'Copy-Special' rather than just
'Copy' that I had forgotten/overlooked.

Eric Stevens
Old August 23rd 14, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

OK!
As I said, I haven't a clue how PSP, & IrfanView work. I just demoed a
way it can be dne with SW I am familiar with. However, since he asked,
how well does your drag&drop method work to get the new image into the
same work space of an image already open & active in PSP?

I've done a lot of this in the passed but I was disconcerted to find I
had forgotten how - hence the delay. But here it is:

Starting with a new image:

1. Drag and drop the second image into PSP. PSP will open up a new
completely independent image.

As it does in Photoshop.

2. Select the new image. Then click the selection tool and click the
image. A dotted line should them surround the entire new image.

3. Ctrl+shift+C (i.e. Copy special) and the whole of the new image
is copied.

dropped into the original image on a new layer. Then you can do
whatever you like with it.

It turns out that it was the need to 'Copy-Special' rather than just
'Copy' that I had forgotten/overlooked.

So that works pretty much the same way as in PS, as shown in my rough demo.

Savageduck

Old August 23rd 14, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Yep. My point was that if you want to use PSP you don't need to go via
any other software.

Eric Stevens