Tamron 90 mm lens

Old December 13th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Faz

Default Tamron 90 mm lens

Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

Thanks, Chuck

Old December 13th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Faz

Sorry, forgot to mention 90mm Tamron Lens.

Old December 13th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Faz" wrote:

Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

The Tamron 90mm Macro SP (in all its versions) is a very good 1:1
macro lens that is also an outstanding portrait lens because of its
smooth rendition of out of focus elements of the image, especially
highlights.

Get the newest version that you can. The earliest lenses were 1:2
manual focus f/2.5 with the Adaptall mount system. This was later
revised to f/2.8 with improvements in sharpness.

The autofocus versions were further improved optically, but the early
AF models had variable build quality. Later models are much better.
All give 1:1 macro reproduction.

The best of all the versions is the current 90mm f/2.8 Di with
improved anti-reflection coatings, especially on the rear element.
This effectively eliminates reflections within the mirror box on
digital SLRs, and is still perfectly compatible with 35mm film.

The lens gives full frame coverage to suit the Canon 1Ds MkI, II and
III and the Nikon D3. But it works just as well on digital SLRs with
APS-C size sensors.

It is one of the best SLR lenses in its focal length range that I have
ever used. A pleasure to own, sheer pleasure to use.

Old December 14th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

Hi Chuck,

I have the Tamron SP 90mm AF Macro 1:2.8. I bought it in 1998. It's
a good lens but I always felt that the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm
1:2.6-2.8 was a better portrait lens and now with the D300 it is more
like a portrait zoom.

I never really used the Macro but it focuses to about 1 foot from the
film plane.

Old December 14th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Dec 13, 5:49 pm, Tony Polson wrote:
"Faz" wrote:

Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

The Tamron 90mm Macro SP (in all its versions) is a very good 1:1
macro lens that is also an outstanding portrait lens because of its
smooth rendition of out of focus elements of the image, especially
highlights.

Get the newest version that you can. The earliest lenses were 1:2
manual focus f/2.5 with the Adaptall mount system. This was later
revised to f/2.8 with improvements in sharpness.

I have the classic manual-focus Model 52BB Tamron SP 90. I bought it
in 1989 and it still works great 18 years later, on my D200!
Old December 14th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On Dec 13, 5:20 pm, "Faz" wrote:
Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

Thanks, Chuck

Have an adaptall 90mm f2.5, nice lens I like my 105 Nikkor micro D
better, close comparison though. The Adaptall 90 only focuses down to
1:2 magnification, you need the corresponding extension tube to get to
1:1. The set up is a little confounding as you have an adaptor on the
lens but have to take it off to attach to the extension tube. Like
with any of the pre 1:1 macros with the extension tube you are limited
to 1:2 - 1:1 magnification.

Tom
Old December 14th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
plb49

On Dec 13, 5:20 pm, "Faz" wrote:
Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

Thanks, Chuck

I have the autofocus, non-Di version--very pleased with it.

Paul B.
Old December 14th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

tomm42 wrote:

On Dec 13, 5:20 pm, "Faz" wrote:
Any comments.....good or bad. Thinking of purchasing this item.

Thanks, Chuck

Have an adaptall 90mm f2.5, nice lens I like my 105 Nikkor micro D
better, close comparison though. The Adaptall 90 only focuses down to
1:2 magnification, you need the corresponding extension tube to get to
1:1. The set up is a little confounding as you have an adaptor on the
lens but have to take it off to attach to the extension tube. Like
with any of the pre 1:1 macros with the extension tube you are limited
to 1:2 - 1:1 magnification.

All the AF models have 1:1 capability built in. There is no need for
an extension tube.

Old December 16th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Henney

I have the new Di version and use it on a Sony Alpha 100 and Minolta Dynax
7D.
Super lens, esp. for close up work.
I'm a geologist and the anti-vibration coupled with the fast speed of the 90
mm means I can get decent outcrop / hand specimen photo's in most
conditions.

pj