CS3--the first 24 hours!

Old December 16th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

Default CS3--the first 24 hours!

I believe this very early beta release is a sop to the Macaholics who still
populate Adobe and do not see the computer market landscape for what it is.
For the Windows user one now has an improved raw converter (it really is),
an arbitrarily changed interface (no more "print with preview" option and a
kind of bizarre, non linear printing process) but not clearly anything else
that is indispensable. The ability to use all layers as smart objects is
just not a must-buy for most experienced Photoshop users. Bridge is
different but the improvements, with regard to organizing and tagging
images, seem far from must-have to me.
While the raw converter has many more usable options it is still buggy in
the Windows display environment. It does not properly size itself for some
common display resolutions, such as 1024x768.
The Mactel user now has, ta da, a modern version of Photoshop that does not
have to run through the Rosetta kludge. For the teensy weensy portion of
Mactel Photoshop users who are Mac only and might be deluded enough to
switch exclusively to Aperture this might keep that teen tiny market
fraction with Adobe.
That is like a dog food maker being more concerned about the fleas instead
of the dog.
At this early stage I really do not see a compelling reason for this early
beta release or much justification for its existence. I love Adobe and
Photoshop but they need to have more to justify the upgrade (as opposed to
forcing users, a la Microsoft and Apple, to the upgrade).
And, by the way, check out the Adobe CS3 support group: CS3 is in no way
assured to be compatible with Vista. In fairness to Adobe almost no software
or hardware manufacturers are overtly committed to Vista.
I must be missing something . . .

Old December 16th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

bmoag wrote:
I believe this very early beta release is a sop to the Macaholics who still
populate Adobe and do not see the computer market landscape for what it is.

I must be missing something . . .

Yes. You are missing a lot of good things in life as you are blinded by
anti this and anti that.

--
lsmft
Old December 16th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:24:16 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

bmoag wrote:
I believe this very early beta release is a sop to the Macaholics who still
populate Adobe and do not see the computer market landscape for what it is.

I must be missing something . . .

Yes. You are missing a lot of good things in life as you are blinded by
anti this and anti that.

Grouchy curmudgeons have their uses, but for your gripes to be
worthwhile you should present an alternate take, describing the new
"good things" Adobe may have provided, or showing how bmoag might
have been mistaken in some of his findings. All you seem to be
doing is shooting the messenger because the news doesn't appear to
be very good, and doing it with a borderline personal attack.

Old December 16th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JR

OK...the good....

SPEED....they have completely rewritten code that was decades
old....great for todays computers. Yes it was a release primarily for
Mac Intel users....well they are the bulk of Adobe's professional user
base...so its a FAST FAST FAST version that will be a stp gap measure
until the official CS3 release. CS3 has better printing windows, better
selection tools, better RAW converter, better Bridge....its all a
better, faster, smoother more efficient program...if you dont like
it...dont upgrade.

JR
Old December 16th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Helen

bmoag wrote:
I believe this very early beta release is a sop to the Macaholics who still

Is this supposed to be about your first 24 hours with CS3 or an attack
on the Mac and its users? Seems more like the latter.
H.
Old December 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Helen wrote:
bmoag wrote:
I believe this very early beta release is a sop to the Macaholics who
still

Is this supposed to be about your first 24 hours with CS3 or an attack
on the Mac and its users? Seems more like the latter.

The attack on all things Mac is predictable from that poster. The
additional whingeing about Adobe is relatively fresh.

And for Jerry's rebuttal to my post: No. I don't feel compelled to offer
anything when a given poster goes into repeat-ad-naseum mode.

--
John McWilliams
Old December 16th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have CS2 (PC platform). I stopped using the RAW converter (20D) after
I realized there were two significant (and probably related) issues:

1. Tends to noisy shadows
2. Tends to clip the low end of the histogram on one or more channels

(And yes I set the 'shadows' to zero and tried numerous other tweaks.)

These complaints are in comparison to Canon Digital Photo Professional.
I use DPP exclusively now because of these two issues (although I love
the chromatic abberation correction in ACR).

Any early comparison on the CS3 RAW converter regarding these two
issues?

Thanks

Old December 16th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

W wrote:
I have CS2 (PC platform). I stopped using the RAW converter (20D) after
I realized there were two significant (and probably related) issues:

1. Tends to noisy shadows
2. Tends to clip the low end of the histogram on one or more channels

(And yes I set the 'shadows' to zero and tried numerous other tweaks.)

These complaints are in comparison to Canon Digital Photo Professional.
I use DPP exclusively now because of these two issues (although I love
the chromatic abberation correction in ACR).

Any early comparison on the CS3 RAW converter regarding these two
issues?

Not from me! s. So far, I've not had the time or inclination to do
good side-by-side comparisons of RAW converters, but there are others
here who've done great comparisons and written them up.

I've been using Lightroom for a while, and so the differences in CSIII
that might be apparent compared to CSII are even less so for me.

If I see a good review, I'll try to remember to link it here.

--
John McWilliams