Kodak Tri-x or Fuji Nepan 400?

Old June 1st 04, 11:46 AM
whitewave

Default Kodak Tri-x or Fuji Nepan 400?

Hello,
I like tri-x, I found it very easy to use, it allows push/pull
treatments, the grain can be choosen depending on developer, with
D76/ID1 it has quite fine grain and good acutance and it has good
scale of grey.

But I think it has not so much details (especially in midtones) as I
would like to see, it has less sharpens than I want, and its curve
seems to be a bit, onlt a bit, flat.

Should I change it with Fuji Neopan 400? Could it be the film I'm
looking for general purposes BW photos?

I've read it has much more details, finer grain and a deeper curve
on low-midtones. Is it right?

After reading that, I'm very interested in testing it, and it seems
my "perfect" film. But I have to order it online because local shops
doesn't have it (I live in a small town in the centre of Italy), so
before buying I would like to receive comments on my post.

Thanks a lot.

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old June 1st 04, 07:43 PM
Michael Scarpitti

whitewave wrote in message . ..
[...]

I have been using a lot of this film lately, and it seems to be very
good at just about everything. I like it better than Tri-X, HP5 Plus,
or Agfapan 400.
Old June 1st 04, 08:05 PM
whitewave

I have been using a lot of this film lately, and it seems to be very
good at just about everything. I like it better than Tri-X, HP5 Plus,
or Agfapan 400.

I know this question sounds strange: do you think it's the film I
want?

Thanks.

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old June 1st 04, 10:29 PM
David Kilpatrick

whitewave wrote:

I have been using a lot of this film lately, and it seems to be very
good at just about everything. I like it better than Tri-X, HP5 Plus,
or Agfapan 400.

I know this question sounds strange: do you think it's the film I
want?

Neopan 400 is the FP4 of 400 speed emulsions. It's got that classic look
which prints well on G2-3 and has exactly the right edge to contours.
one of the nicest things about it is the very clear base, which reduces
printing times, and the tolerance it has to developer types and timing.
The usual comment about Neopan is that if you liked films in the 1970s,
and then found all the new formulations somehow removed their character
regardless of benefits, Neopan gives you back that feeling of using a
film which responds predictably and matches the response of papers easily.

DK

Old June 2nd 04, 03:01 AM
Michael Scarpitti

David Kilpatrick wrote in message ...
whitewave wrote:

[...]

The more I use it, the more I like it. Try some! I suggest Paterson
Acutol 1+14 for 8 minutes @ 20C/68F.
Old June 2nd 04, 09:21 AM
whitewave

Il Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:06:00 -0500, ha scritto:

whitewave wrote:

Should I change it with Fuji Neopan 400? Could it be the film I'm
looking for general purposes BW photos?

I'm sold on Neopan 400 as my general use film:

http://canid.com/johanna/have_stool.html

wich developer did you use for those photos?

Good pictures, but I don't like the developer.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old June 2nd 04, 01:08 PM
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Never ever seen or used one.Usually bulk FP4 or sometimes Delta 400.

--
Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Iraklion Crete,Greece
Analogue technology rules-digital sucks

. ..

Old June 2nd 04, 02:52 PM
Michael Scarpitti

whitewave wrote in message . ..

My current preferences, and the exposure index I use:

Ilford Pan-F (EI 50) (Acutol 1+24, 8 minutes)
Ilford FP4 (EI 125) (Acutol 1+15, 7,5 minutes)
Fuji Neopan 400 (EI 320) (Acutol 1+14, 8 minutes)
Fuji Neopan 1600 (EI 650) (Acutol 1+15, 7,5 minutes)
Ilford SFX (EI 160) (Acutol 1+14, 9 minutes)

I have also been happy with:

Ilford Delta 400 (EI 320) (FX-39 1+14, 8 minutes)
Ilford HP5 Plus (Acutol 1+14, 8 minutes)
Kodak T-Max 3200 (EI 800) (FX-39 1+14, 7,5 minutes)

Development at 20C/68F. Agitation: two inversions once per minute.
Old June 2nd 04, 08:48 PM
Jan T

IMHO the choice of developer is of as much importance.
On http://www.fotoimport.no/rammer.html I found a collection of curves,
resulting from tests with different combo's of film and developer.

For those of you who don't understand Norwegian ;-)) :
follow the link 2. Sort/hvit film (B&W film) and click on the first item in
the list "Se vare nye fremkallertabeller med kurver" (won't translate that
one). On this page, scroll down to the list of developers. If you remember
that 'fremkaller' means 'developer', you're doing well.

Notice that for e.g. the difference between some curves of the same film in
a different developer are sometimes bigger than the differences between
different films in the same soup.

All in all it's just a ... matter of taste, and one can only develop this by
continuing tasting and getting used to a specific combo before trying
something else.

Good luck!

Jan

--