HELP! Dry Mount, PMA QUESTION

Old February 22nd 04, 04:22 PM
Michael Bonnycastle

Default HELP! Dry Mount, PMA QUESTION

HI,
I have been cutting 11x14 mats, in which I will tape in a standard
photo, (non ink jet)8x10 print, but
the photo will not be centered in the mat, because I have a cut-out
for an info plate
below it. I thought I might be able to get away with just ATGing the
photo/mat to foam core, and the photo would lay sufficiently flat,
however I am having doubts.
I don't want to go back to the the 3M Photomount spray, as I have
found it will bubble up some of the time, ruining the whole thing.
Does anyone know if I can use the 3-M POSITIONABLE MOUNTING ADHESIVE
to mount a photo already taped to a mat and then mount to foam board?
Then next question is, I am going to need to mount these in volume
so would I save any time going to a dry mount press in the long haul??
Positioning of the photo within the mat opening is important in this,
and I am concerned about losing some control when mounting the photo
to the backboard right at the start....
Thanks!!!
Mike
Old February 23rd 04, 05:42 AM
Rich Shepard

On 2004-02-22, Michael Bonnycastle wrote:

Does anyone know if I can use the 3-M POSITIONABLE MOUNTING ADHESIVE to
mount a photo already taped to a mat and then mount to foam board?

This I don't know.

Then next question is, I am going to need to mount these in volume so
would I save any time going to a dry mount press in the long haul??

I believe you would.

Positioning of the photo within the mat opening is important in this, and
I am concerned about losing some control when mounting the photo to the
backboard right at the start.

At first I tried measuring to locate the print on the mount board so it
was centered in the window mat. This did not always work as well as I
wanted. What I now do is hinge the window mat to the mount board (with
archival, linen tape), tack the mounting tissue on the back of the print,
then position the print behind the window with cotton gloves on my hands. I
then hold the print in position as I lift up the window mat, then a corner
of the print so I can tack it to the mounting board. After a second corner
is secured, I can let go and place the whole thing in the dry mount press.

HTH,

Rich
Old February 23rd 04, 02:45 PM
Dave Van

From: Rich Shepard
Newsgroups: rec.photo.darkroom
Date: 23 Feb 2004 04:42:37 GMT
Subject: HELP! Dry Mount, PMA QUESTION

On 2004-02-22, Michael Bonnycastle wrote:

[...]

That's how I was taught to do it and that's how I teach it today. Can't
miss. The important thing to remember is to only tack the tissue in only
one place per side, otherwise you could get a slight buckling of the dry
mount tissue under the print.

OP, If you have a dry mount press and have a lot of these to mount, it's
worth it just to avoid the fumes and the mess of the sprays in addition to
the flat, smooth, lasting result you will get.

Cheers

DV