I'm guessing that Kodak will kill Kodachrome within the next 24 months

Old November 9th 03, 05:06 AM
John Horner

Default I'm guessing that Kodak will kill Kodachrome within the next 24 months

I've been trying out the new Astia 100F lately and am very happy with the
results. For comparison I put a 24 exp roll of Kodachrome 64 in one of my
cameras and fired off a roll, then sent it to Kodak for processing. Looking
at the results all I can say is yuck. Kodachrome's color rendition seems to
be all over the place with strong color casts in the shadows, extreme
sensitivity to exposure and a general overall magenta cast to everything.

I guess I should not be surprised that 30 years of film R&D has yielded some
real improvements. Astia 100F is one of the newest slide films on the market
and Kodachrome 64 is now probably the oldest one still sold.

My guess is that Kodak will probably kill of Kodachrome very soon as it is
an orphan process and is long past it's prime.

Years ago I thought Kodachrome was the best thing going, and compared to the
old Ektachrome it was ... but times have changed!

Kodachrome has several nails in it' coffin already:

1) Modern high end desktop scanners with Digital ICE do a great job of
cleaning up dust and minor scratches, but Digital ICE does not work with
Kodachrome.

2) The slide film business is dropping off dramatically.

3) Kodak already announced that they are killing their slide projection
business (see #2).

4) The vast majority of the remaining professional and prosumer
photograpraphers who still shoot slide film have converted to E6 processes
if only because processing is available almost anywhere, while in the US
there are only two labs remaining (???) who do Kodachrome ... Kodak in NJ
and A&I in CA.

5) Of those using E6 film, many if not most have gone with Fuji's
exceptional line of slide films including the newest versions of Velvia for
high color saturation and Astia for moderate saturation.

6) The best E6 films (Velvia, Astia and perhaps Elite 100) best
Kodachrome's resolution.

So, for you few remaining Kodachrome diehards I would suggest that you get
used to a newer different film now while you can do so at your own pace.
The writing is on the wall in a huge way for Kodachrome. I suspect that
one of Kodak's conundrums is that as long as there is Kodachrome film in the
distribution and user pipeline then they have to keep the one remaining
processing line running. That line is complicated and expensive, so they
need to keep feeding it.

Here is what I would do if I were managing Kodak in this regard.

A) Announced end-of-life production of Kodachrome 90 days from now.

B) Announced end-of-life Kodak in-house processing for Kodachrome 120 days
from now.

C) Contract with A&I to do any needed Kodachrome processing from days 121
through 365 from the announcement date and shuttle any Kodachrome film which
customers drop off or mail into Kodak's labs. After that point, do not
offer Kodachrome processing.

D) Offer to trade out FOR FREE any in-date Kodachrome film currently in
customer's hands and in the distribution pipeline for the nearest equivalent
Elite Chrome emulsions.

What do you all think?

John

Old November 9th 03, 07:40 PM
Ken Nadvornick

"John Horner" wrote:

[snip]

What do you all think?

John

Hi John,

I think you must have been *really* upset with that one roll of Kodachrome 64...

Regards,
Ken
Old November 9th 03, 08:29 PM
Tony Spadaro

Try Elitechrome 100. I prefer it to Astia or Provia F as I like the colours
better - of course colour is pretty much a personal matter, but give it a go
for one roll and you might find yourself quite pleased. I have to admit, I
never found anything to like about Kodachrome 64.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old November 9th 03, 10:03 PM
Paul Repacholi

"John Horner" writes:

D) Offer to trade out FOR FREE any in-date Kodachrome film currently
in customer's hands and in the distribution pipeline for the nearest
equivalent Elite Chrome emulsions.

What do you all think?

Not going to work...

Kodak are still under conract to keep a *K-12* line going for the
USN untill they finish a long term research project in Antarcica.
Long term was about 150 TONs of kodachrome in one hit...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old November 10th 03, 03:24 AM
Derek Gee

[...]

You missed one US lab:

Dwayne's Photo
415 S. 32nd Street
Parsons, KS 67357
Tel: 1-316-421-3940
Tel: 1-800-522-3940
F A X : 1-316-421-3174

I think Kodachrome will hang around for another 5 - 7 years, maybe longer.
It depends on how much you folks start buying. I was shocked to hear from
Kodak that their B & W business was UP something like 25%.

Derek

Old November 10th 03, 03:56 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"John Horner" wrote in message ...

So, for you few remaining Kodachrome diehards I would suggest that you get
used to a newer different film now while you can do so at your own pace.
The writing is on the wall in a huge way for Kodachrome. I suspect that
one of Kodak's conundrums is that as long as there is Kodachrome film in the
distribution and user pipeline then they have to keep the one remaining
processing line running. That line is complicated and expensive, so they
need to keep feeding it.

What do you all think?

John

That you can't see. Kodachrome kills all E-6 films. EASILY.
Old November 10th 03, 05:20 AM
ThomasH

John Horner wrote:

I've been trying out the new Astia 100F lately and am very happy with the
results. For comparison I put a 24 exp roll of Kodachrome 64 in one of my
cameras and fired off a roll, then sent it to Kodak for processing. Looking
at the results all I can say is yuck. Kodachrome's color rendition seems to
be all over the place with strong color casts in the shadows, extreme
sensitivity to exposure and a general overall magenta cast to everything.

This is a *very old* issue with Kodachrome! The market for Kodachrome
ws not there and thus the new research and gradual improvements in
resolution, grain and color rendition were achieved in the E6 material.
My last use of Kodachrome was around 1982 I believe. Already back than
the color balance was atrocious. My friend from back than, a magazine
photographer was always carrying with him a ton of wratten filters and
used them religiously with Kodachrome. For my hobby activity this was
too complex and too expensive. I knew about shorter durability of E6
materials, but a paradox is that Kodachrome is so durable only if kept
in the dark! If exposed to projector light, Kodachrome discolors much
faster than common E6 materials. (See Wilhelms book)

Now we scan all film to preserve the information and probably we
will stop to use film any time soon anyway.

Thomas

Old November 17th 03, 06:57 AM
Michael A. Covington

"John Horner" wrote in message

6) The best E6 films (Velvia, Astia and perhaps Elite 100) best
Kodachrome's resolution.

Kodak's newest one, E100G, is incredibly fine-grained. E100G really is the
K25 killer.

Old November 21st 03, 04:48 AM
John Horner

That you can't see. Kodachrome kills all E-6 films. EASILY.

Really. Have you done any of your own side by side comparisons lately?

John

Old November 22nd 03, 12:47 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"John Horner" wrote in message ...

That you can't see. Kodachrome kills all E-6 films. EASILY.

Really. Have you done any of your own side by side comparisons lately?

John

Yes, really. The E-6 films still look fuzzy and the colr's always off,
compared to Kdachrome. the only adavantage is a little finer grain
with some of them, but the sharpness still is NOTICEABLY lower.