New darkroom, first batch of many questions.

Old February 10th 04, 12:47 PM
Tom Gardner

Default New darkroom, first batch of many questions.

Why not flourescent lights? I have a truck-load of them.

"bob" 1xwj.ReverseThePartBeforeTheDot@bellsouthnet wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote in
om:

2. Drainage is going to be a problem. The best solution I see is to
drill a hole through the block wall to another room in the basement
that has a stack on that wall. I would then drill and tap for a
nipple into the cast iron stack below the trap level in the darkroom.
Seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure it's code. The rest of the
plumbing should be nothing special.

I think around here the typical solution would be to cut a section of

the
stack out and replace that section with plastic (with a T). The cast iron
would need support to keep it from falling.

I like the cleanout idea. If you have a cleanout, you can put a new short
section of pipe into it, and add another cleanout.

Don't use any flourescent lights.

Old February 10th 04, 01:01 PM
Mark in Maine

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:47:55 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Why not flourescent lights? I have a truck-load of them.

There are two problems with flourescent lights - for a darkroom the
biggest problem is that they continue to glow and put out paper
fogging light for minutes after they have been turned off, and
secondly they have a strange spectrum for their light which can
distort colours.

Old February 10th 04, 02:16 PM
bob

Mark in Maine wrote in
:

wrote:

Why not flourescent lights? I have a truck-load of them.

There are two problems with flourescent lights - for a darkroom the
biggest problem is that they continue to glow and put out paper
fogging light for minutes after they have been turned off, and
secondly they have a strange spectrum for their light which can
distort colours.

Exactly.

I saw an interesting plan for a light-table once (for B&W negatives). It
used flourescent tubes, but it featured a light tight lid, so the user
could close it after looking at negs, but before getting out any film.

I think I would prefer my light table to be outside my darkroom anyway,
but I guess he felt a need.

Bob
Old February 10th 04, 05:24 PM
Tom Gardner

Good point. I will put in the fluorescent lights as general room light but
have work centers lit with incandescent.

Old February 11th 04, 03:08 PM
Robert Feinman

In article , "Tom
Gardner" says...

wrote:

Why not flourescent lights? I have a truck-load of them.

There are two problems with flourescent lights - for a darkroom the
biggest problem is that they continue to glow and put out paper
fogging light for minutes after they have been turned off, and
secondly they have a strange spectrum for their light which can
distort colours.

Exactly.

I saw an interesting plan for a light-table once (for B&W negatives). It
used flourescent tubes, but it featured a light tight lid, so the user
could close it after looking at negs, but before getting out any film.

I think I would prefer my light table to be outside my darkroom anyway,
but I guess he felt a need.

Bob

Don't use flourescents for general lighting. Mine flicker for 1/2 hour
after they are turned off. Might not affect paper, but I wouldn't want
to take the chance with film developing.

--
Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old February 22nd 04, 01:05 PM
Mr Inkbutter

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:42:52 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Safe Light , should definitely be a Duka 50 , good for both B/W and
colour work , with the Nova tank system make colour printing as easy
as B/W , also has adjustable light output .