P&S Teleconverters

Old November 4th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frank_temmor

Default P&S Teleconverters

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:20:14 GMT, Steve wrote:

Pick the tool for the purpose. Where image quality, reaction speed,
the ability to change important settings (Tv, Av, ISO, etc.) quickly
by using physical dials and buttons

That's why I would rather choose the P&S cameras that I have. Every button,
option, and adjustment that I need is right under each finger. Only the
occasionally used options are on menus, usually no more than 1 click away. The
image quality is about the same as, and in some instances (DSLR glass dependent)
can even be better from my P&S cameras. Shutter-lag is shorter on my P&S cameras
too because I rarely depend on auto-anything. Real pros are like that. I might
use the "instant AF override" button press to get the lens into the range I need
rapidly, but then I focus manually. See, I know how to use my cameras, most do
not. You have revealed that you do not.

You need to learn how to do your research before wasting your money on cameras
that won't do what you want them to do.

If you think a DSLR is the only kind that will do what you need and want, you
are sorely mistaken, and a REALLY bad shopper. Then on top of it, because of
your stupidity and ignorance you advise all others to follow in your footsteps.
How completely foolish.

Old November 4th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Steve wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 05:09:51 -0600, TrentBaxter
wrote:

[...]
In case you missed them, here's just a few of the vast benefits of
P&S cameras and the huge related drawbacks of ALL DSLRs (some
sections further edited for clarity):

[snipped a bunch of crap but I figured I'd comment on this one:]
7. P&S cameras do not suffer from focal-plane shutter drawbacks and
limitations. Causing camera shake, moving-subject image distortions
(focal-plane-shutter distortions, e.g.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/ch...istortions.jpg
do note the distorted tail-rotor too and its shadow on the ground,
90-degrees

I've taken a lot of pictures of helicopters and prop planes with a
DSLR and the blades in all sorts of various directios and not one
shows a curved blade like that

Nontheless that is a known issue with focal plane shutters when
photographing propellers at high shutter speed.

[snipped a whole bunch more crap]

You can spout all the reasons you think P&S cameras are better but
the
fact remains that DSLRs and good lenses in general have much better
image quality than any P&S.

Pick the tool for the purpose. Where image quality, reaction speed,
the ability to change important settings (Tv, Av, ISO, etc.) quickly
by using physical dials and buttons instead of going through
onscreen
menus) is most important, use a DSLR. Where convenience is most
important, use a P&S. That's why I have several of both.

Know what they do, use what you need.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 4th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 05:09:51 -0600, TrentBaxter, the self-hating
anti-DSLR sock puppet troll wrote:

4. P&S cameras are silent.

Then you are a DSLR, Biddy.

Old November 4th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me Here[_2_]

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
For those tempted to believe that P&S cameras might be able to offer
telephoto capabilities similar to a DSLR see:

The Canon TC-DC58C teleconvertor on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...Viewpoi nts=1

"If you want a field-of-view equivalent to a 420mm lens on 35mm film
cameras, but not all the time, this is a good choice, assuming you
already have a G7 or G9. If you are a frequent user of such long
focal lengths, you will likely prefer a camera that has it built
in, or better still, a digital SLR."

... there is a down side.

The lag time of a P&S versus a dSLR makes even the cheapest dSLR appealing.

Old November 4th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Al_Parker

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:43:13 -0500, "Me Here" wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
.. .
For those tempted to believe that P&S cameras might be able to offer
telephoto capabilities similar to a DSLR see:

The Canon TC-DC58C teleconvertor on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...Viewpoi nts=1

"If you want a field-of-view equivalent to a 420mm lens on 35mm film
cameras, but not all the time, this is a good choice, assuming you
already have a G7 or G9. If you are a frequent user of such long
focal lengths, you will likely prefer a camera that has it built
in, or better still, a digital SLR."

... there is a down side.

The lag time of a P&S versus a dSLR makes even the cheapest dSLR appealing.

That would only be true for some snapshooter that has to depend on
auto-everything. REAL pros know how to use hyperfocal settings and manual focus,
making the lag-time of P&S cameras even less than *all* DSLRs. But then ...
you'll never know this, you're a troll that's never figured out how to use ANY
camera professionally.

Old November 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve[_12_]

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 07:35:37 -0600, frank_temmor
wrote:

[...]

Why do you think I have both and use the one that's appropriate for
the situation?

If you think a DSLR is the only kind that will do what you need and want, you
are sorely mistaken, and a REALLY bad shopper. Then on top of it, because of
your stupidity and ignorance you advise all others to follow in your footsteps.
How completely foolish.

A DSLR is the only kind that will do what I want in certain
situations. The fact that you don't realize that and think a P&S can
do everything proves just foolish you really are and how little you
really know about cameras.

Steve
Old November 5th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_2_]

P&S's are cursed when it comes to lag time. They stink, and a wide
"hyperfocal" distance isn't something someone wants every time and is
useless if you are talking about something that simply can't be captured
with a dog-slow response time.
Also, "add on" teleconverters are putrid when it comes to optical quality.
I've never seen one yet that didn't horribly degrade the original lens's
image. But then P&S lenses, especially "superzooms" at their longest length
have so many optical aberrations and so many focus problems people using
crappy teleconverters probably don't even notice the difference.

"Al_Parker" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:43:13 -0500, "Me Here" wrote:

. ..

Old November 5th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Brandon Grant

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:11:50 -0500, "RichA" wrote:

P&S's are cursed when it comes to lag time. They stink, and a wide
"hyperfocal" distance isn't something someone wants every time and is
useless if you are talking about something that simply can't be captured
with a dog-slow response time.
Also, "add on" teleconverters are putrid when it comes to optical quality.
I've never seen one yet that didn't horribly degrade the original lens's
image. But then P&S lenses, especially "superzooms" at their longest length
have so many optical aberrations and so many focus problems people using
crappy teleconverters probably don't even notice the difference.

And thus, you quickly reveal your amateurish photography ability and lack of
experiences with better P&S cameras and their related accessories so quickly and
completely.

How does it feel to have outted yourself as a totally inexperienced DSLR troll?

Old November 5th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

My sentiments exactly. I am perfectly willing to be educated (I certainly
don't claim omniscience). I don't even really mind being insulted, but I do
demand some proof of the assertions this character is making. It would be a
simple matter for him to post some pics somewhere to back up his claims. His
consistent refusal to do so obviously discredits him. If he is so frightened
of people ripping off his magnificent work it would be a simple matter to
heavily edit the files in a way that would make them unsuitable for use. He
could easily overlay a thick grid, through which the frame could still be
seen.

He's nothing but an immature individual with extreme emotional issues, who
gets off on in a masturbatory way through this kind of trolling.

Toby
"Roy G" wrote in message

"TrentBaxter" wrote in message
On 4 Nov 2008 04:30:03 -0600, "Toby" wrote:

"bugbear" wrote in message
news Eric Stevens wrote:
... there is a down side.

In other news there is NO ultimate camera.

Resolution, sharpness, convenience, ease of use,
weight, cost, speed of response all vary,
and in some cases conflict.

And that is the basic truth of the matter. Each type of camera and lens
and
accessory offers some advantages and some disadvantages. Wise users
research
the pros and cons of each, and then make an informed choice according to
their needs and desires.

Toby

Those even more wise, borne of lifetime of true real-world photography
experience,
SNIPPED

all the other virtual-photographer DSLR-trolls) even more glaringly
obvious to
the world.

I do not make claims for any particular type of equipment, and happen to
agree with Toby.

You make claims for only one type of equipment, and seem to state that P &
S cameras are the ultimate in every respect.

Worse, you very clearly insult the intelligence of anyone who does not
agree with you.

You never seem to post on any other topic, except to extoll the virtues of
P & S or damn the shortcomings of SLRs.

You keep changing your alias, and have replied to your own postings using
another alias.

AND you seem unwilling or unable to specify which make or models you use.

It is long past the time for you to come clean, and start giving some real
information, instead of just spouting far fetched theory and poisonous
bile.

Put up or shut up.

Roy G

Old November 5th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

"Brandon Grant" wrote in message
[...]

Just more garbage spewing from this troll, Not a single shred of evidence to
back up his assertions.

Toby