Stepping Up to Medium Format - Suggestions please.

Old April 14th 05, 06:05 PM
Michiel Fokkema

OnSafari wrote:
I'd like to follow up on my last email. I did find out that the RB67
takes a Polaroid back, which I like. I did not mention this, but the
RB67 has bellows, which I have never used on a camera before. Is there
an additional learning curve here?

Thank you again,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I use the RB67 a lot and really like it. It is suitable for any job you
can imagine. Only drawback is the size and the weight.
If you buy, I suggest to leave the original and go for a S or SD. The
original has no securities for double exposures etc. The SD has the only
advantage of a bigger throat to accommodate the 500 apo and the 75
shift. You can use all accessories and film backs on all the bodies
except for the earlier mentioned lenses.
The bellows does not need a learning curve. Actually it is very
convenient and makes the lenses even cheaper because they don't need a
focusing mechanism. It also makes it possible to come much closer
without the use of extra rings.
Although the early non 'C' lenses are oke, you better buy 'C' lenses.
These can still be serviced and have a better coating.
I'd say, go for it and never look back.

Regards,

Michiel Fokkema
Old April 16th 05, 06:58 AM
OnSafari

Hello All.

I just wanted to follow up with you all to let you know that I
purchased my MF system today. I had been searching on eBay at quite a
few auctions and looked on the MF marketplace as well. I had some
great suggestions from you all and had some of my own ideas going in to
this. In the end I went down to Charlotte Camera, my local camera
store to see what they had used. Even though I live in Charlotte, I
travel so often that I never actually shopped for cameras in Charlotte,
and this was my first introduction to the store.

From what I found out, Charlotte Camera ranks quite high in being one

of the best known used camera outlets (they also sell new too). I was
pleased to see that they had quite a large section of used MF cameras.
In fact they had every camera that was suggested to me, so I actually
got a chance to hold them all. My salesperson, Lauren was great at
walking me through all the models and letting me know the strengths and
weaknesses to each. In the end I purchased a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with a
120 back, a Polaroid back, a waist-level finder and a 180mm lens. I
also picked up a new Macro flash and a 300-700mm lens for my Nikon
cameras. Lauren made me an excellent package price, and as they had
just moved in to their new location, they had a 10% discount on all MF
systems. As a result, I wound up getting a near mint (9+) RZ 67 Pro II
system for less than used models are selling on eBay for. Needless to
say, I am thrilled.

So, thank you all again for your advice. I did check out any camera
that was suggested to me, but I liked how the Mamiya was layed out, and
even though it is quite heavy and large, I kept finding myself drawn to
it. I'll start shooting this weekend!

I very much appreciate all of you.

Chris Jett
www.ChrisJett.com

~Stay in Focus~

Old April 17th 05, 05:17 AM
John

Great decision ! I think the RZ is really a great camera. I prefer the manual
shutters of the RB myself but in all other aspects the RB and RZ are identical.

It's also good to hear about Charlotte Camera.

JD - www.puresilver.org
Old April 17th 05, 11:12 PM
Shelley

If "quality" is your main concern, and if by "gallery size" you mean say
16x20 or larger prints, I think you should be looking at 6x7 systems.
Unless you're planning to make square prints Hasselblad is really a 645
system (i.e. the smallest of the three "normal" MF sizes) because of the
crop needed to get to rectangular prints. In the 6x7 size there's Mamiya
RB/RZ which are excellent but both are massive heavy cameras intended more
for the studio than the street, then there's one of the discontinued Bronica
models, I forget which one but it's discontinued so I'd forget it because of
potential parts problems, and Pentax 67/67II which is what I'd recommend for
your intended uses - great lenses, closer to what you're used to since the
camera is an overgrown 35mm camera, and very low prices to assemble a
system.

"OnSafari" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All.

I am considering a venture in to Medium Format. I currently own a
Nikon D100, F100 and N80. There are a few reasons that I want to try
out MF, but the top reason is the overall quality of the image. I am
looking to shoot artsy black & white street scenes and portraits with
the intent of blowing them up to gallery size.

That said, I am considering my options. Hasselblad has a phenominal
reputation and I have been considering purchasing a used 500CM kit
which has a waist-level finder, 80mm lens, 220 and a Polaroid back. I
thought this was a great starting point. I do realize the added
expense in the future of purchasing additional Hasselblad lenses. My
main concern is quality over cost.

I also considered a Mamiya 645AF, but am leaning towards the
Hasselblad.

Any suggestions that you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Once again the main uses for this camera would be studio portraits,
fine art images, street scenes and to a lesser degree landscapes.

I would appreciate and emails. You can send these to my email address
at: and respond to the group as well.

Thank you in advance,

Chris Jett
www.chrisjett.com
~Stay In Focus~

Old April 20th 05, 07:45 PM
Bandicoot

"Shelley" wrote in message
If "quality" is your main concern, and if by "gallery size" you mean say
16x20 or larger prints, I think you should be looking at 6x7 systems.
Unless you're planning to make square prints Hasselblad is really a
645 system (i.e. the smallest of the three "normal" MF sizes) because of

the crop needed to get to rectangular prints. In the 6x7 size there's
Mamiya RB/RZ which are excellent but both are massive heavy
cameras intended more for the studio than the street, then there's one

of the discontinued Bronica models, I forget which one but it's
discontinued so I'd forget it because of potential parts problems, and
Pentax 67/67II which is what I'd recommend for your intended uses
- great lenses, closer to what you're used to since the camera is an
overgrown 35mm camera, and very low prices to assemble a
system.

If it's mostly for the studio, then the Mamiya or the Pentax, if mostly
outside, then the Pentax. But if you really want to major on the street
photography side, and don't mind a camera that's less versatile in the
studio, I'd look at a 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder.

Mamiya 7 is the obvious new choice in that category. Other options include
Plaubel Makina and various Fujicas. I have a couple of 6x9 Fujicas, the
early ones with the interchangeable lenses - and they are simply superb.
Even if you decide on the RB/RZ or the Pentax - both better choices if you
want to do a lot in the studio, or if you are serious about landscape, you
might still find a 6x7 rangefinder a nice addition for the street
photography.

I do like the square format too, but I use it to shoot square pictures. If
I planned to shoot mostly rectangles, I'd stick to a rectangular camera - I
have both, but then I sell a lot of square pictures.

Peter

Old April 21st 05, 04:44 AM
pltrgyst

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:45:58 +0100, "Bandicoot"
wrote:

If it's mostly for the studio, then the Mamiya or the Pentax, if mostly
outside, then the Pentax. But if you really want to major on the street
photography side, and don't mind a camera that's less versatile in the
studio, I'd look at a 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder.

You're a little late. He made his purchase several days ago, and posted about
it.

-- Larry

Old April 22nd 05, 10:49 PM
Bandicoot

wrote:

If it's mostly for the studio, then the Mamiya or the Pentax, if mostly
outside, then the Pentax. But if you really want to major on the
street photography side, and don't mind a camera that's less
versatile in the studio, I'd look at a 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder.

You're a little late. He made his purchase several days ago, and
posted about it.

-- Larry

Actually, the OP made his purchase before Shelley made the post to which I
was replying - since more people than the OP may read this thread, I see no
problem with Shelley's post, and hence saw none with mine. If the OP's
purchase 'closed the issue' for you, then no need to read the thread any
more...

;-)

Peter

Old April 25th 05, 09:07 PM
Daniel ROCHA

OnSafari wrote:
I do realize the added
expense in the future of purchasing additional Hasselblad lenses. My
main concern is quality over cost.

Right. Lenses are pricey...

But do you planed to buy a lot of lenses ???

1, 2 lenses is a complete combo !

--
Daniel Rocha - Photographie
http://www.monochromatique.com