Getting that film look

Old January 14th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

Default Getting that film look

In article ,
lid says...

says...

wrote in message
ink.net...

The point is if I need to think more
about taking the shot to save on film so be it. I can even shoot some
digital samples first to check out composition. The best of both worlds.

Indeed.

I sometimes visit a "new" photo venue with the DSLR
or Nikon FE first. If there are promising compositions,
I'm likely to return with my MF and/or LF gear.

And if not, I've saved myself some needless schlepping.

I suspect 35 mm film will be with us for a few more
years, though it will get harder to find and more expensive.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

No, doubt it will get more expensive but not really harder to find by
mail order.

I don't think it's going to get that much more expensive. Price goes up
and they lose MORE market.

That seems to be true. Airline tix for Italy for me have really stayed
about the same over the last few years. Good point.
Old January 14th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

In article , Paul Rubin
says...
writes:
This is true but some if not many will want to use film stock for various
reasons but it will get expensive for small producers.

Film has always been expensive for small producers and in recent
years, many if not most low-budget indie films have been shot on
digital video (either high definition or just regular DV). Remember
how much you spent on a 24 exp film with processing, and then imagine
shooting that many frames film every second (even half-frame 35mm).
However, big-budget studios using video instead of film is still
fairly unusual. Star Wars Episode 2(?) was the first really high
profile example. I'd be interested to know what other big films are
using digitalnow.

I use to live in Austin and have a few friends in film there. They still
use film stock and Austin is one of the bigger places outside of LA. True
some have been shot on digital but not as many as you may think. Depends
on if it is for indie theater runs of TV.
Old January 14th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

In article 43c8a089$0$24722$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, says...
wrote:

In article 43c85f68$0$24744$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au,
says...

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

"rafe b" wrote

I suspect 35 mm film will be with us for a few more
years, though it will get harder to find and more expensive.

The 35mm format is shared with motion picture film and
microfilm, but those markets too shall pass. It is
still possible to get double-8mm film, I believe.

Quite a few "big" movies have been "filmed" using digital cameras recently.
The days of 35mm movie cameras may well be numbered as well.
So, you may not be able to look at the movie industry to keep 35mm film
alive...

This is true but some if not many will want to use film stock for various
reasons but it will get expensive for small producers.

If the digital cinema cameras remain vastly more expensive than their
35mm film equivalent, then there will still be a market for 35mm movie film.
The cross-over point should come when the cost of production using 35mm
film for a feature length film costs more (including editing/splicing
and renting the editing suite) than the cost of buying (or long term
leasing) a high-end digital movie camera and computer workstation for
editing.

Gee, just think,
soon Joe average will move from Stupidest Home Videos to Full Feature
Movies and then it will truly suck as bad as the Pop music biz does.

That surely is a bit of a stretch?
How will the usual shakey home movie of people/pets acting stupidly
suddenly become a feature film?

Same way every teens bad song writing has made it to an official release
of a CD. It use to be you had to spend time at it. Now use just run a
lyric writing program, a midi music generator and poof your a musician.
Go to any music store and check it out. Someday it will be just as easy
to make a film. Script writing software, generated actors and effects,
easy edit software and poof 2 hour feature films released by rich kids
running movie companies. Same as the music biz.

I can't wait. "Give me that button Danny, give it to me now!" Danny: "But
you forgot to email everyone that you were going to push the button!" ME:
Give me that f#$%ing button man!"

You can't handle the button! ;-)

I want it anyway.
Old January 15th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Verdoux wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:18:31 GMT, wrote:

Same way every teens bad song writing has made it to an official release
of a CD. It use to be you had to spend time at it. Now use just run a
lyric writing program, a midi music generator and poof your a musician.
Go to any music store and check it out. Someday it will be just as easy
to make a film. Script writing software, generated actors and effects,
easy edit software and poof 2 hour feature films released by rich kids
running movie companies. Same as the music biz.

Does all that really matter? You had a choice not to buy **** in the past
and you will still have that choice in the future.

And more than half the movies made in "Hollywood" **NOW** go straight to
VHS (or DVD) already.

I doubt the money guys at the record labels allow these instant musician
CDs to have very large production runs, knowing that most of them are
going straight to the toofer-a-dollar discount rack.

From a financial point of view, it might be worth taking a flyer on a
couple thousand copies, 'cause who knows what's going to click with
teenagers, and you can always press more if it does hit.

Sounds to me like we're back to the days of the 45, only now instead of
coming up with one song to cut a record, they gotta come up with a dozen
songs to make a CD.
Old January 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

Best way to get a film look is to shoot film!

Old January 16th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Best way to get a film look is to shoot film!

That's been pointed out several times. I don't think it's the answer
they're looking for, as obvious as it is.
Old January 16th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

WannabeSomeone wrote:

Wannabe
=======

Yer handle sez it all.
Old January 17th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

On 16 Jan 2006 13:49:22 -0800, "UC"
wrote:

We LIKE film., dumbass!

There's just something... WRONG about that.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"