Fast CF Cards ?

Old August 5th 04, 02:57 PM
Al Dykes

Default Fast CF Cards ?

Is there any current hard information about the writing speed on CF-II
cards ? I haven't seen this discussed for a while. A search of
bhphoto.com finds a whole bunch of 1GB cards and I'll pay a little
extra for speed, but I'd like to know I'm getting something for it.

About 6 months ago I bought a Hitachi 1GB microdrive for my new 300D.
I find that if I shoot 4 pics in a burst I find it takes 45 seconds to
flush all 4 to the disk. It would be nice to have something faster.

I don't care if the CF is solid-state or microdrive.

Thanks

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old August 5th 04, 06:49 PM
Petr

The cards I strictly use are the Ridata ones
http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/default.asp
But then again I have a Nikon D70 which empties its buffer really fast hence
the fast card. Find out what the write speed is of your buffer and then buy
a card based on that. The Ridata cards can systain 6mb/sec write speed and I
have double checked this on my camera and its true

From: (Al Dykes)

Is there any current hard information about the writing speed on CF-II
cards ?

Yes, but a lot depends on which camera you're using.

A search of
bhphoto.com finds a whole bunch of 1GB cards and I'll pay a little
extra for speed, but I'd like to know I'm getting something for it.

About 6 months ago I bought a Hitachi 1GB microdrive for my new 300D.
I find that if I shoot 4 pics in a burst I find it takes 45 seconds to
flush all 4 to the disk. It would be nice to have something faster.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

According to these tests your 1 GB microdrive writes slightly faster than

1
MB/sec. The fastest card tested was a Lexar 2 GB 80x, which writes about

1.3
MB/sec.

You don't need a faster card, you need a faster camera with a deeper write
buffer.

Bill

Old August 5th 04, 08:30 PM
Petr

It was recomended by a friend who uses them in his Digital Rebel, and I saw
good results. Shooting in Jpeg Fine I continuous mode I cannot fill the
buffer to the point where it slow down the shooting speed. I got almost 30
frames in 15 seconds. The moment I let go of the shutter button and let the
buffer empty, the card write light goes off. Never more than a second after
I release it. So in 16 seconds the card accepted 30 frames at 3mb each. That
works out to 1.875 frames per second, hence 5625kb per sec (5.625mb). This
is with a 52X Ridata Pro Card. They seem to work really well in this camera.
Raw mode is another story. The camera hammers 3 frames into the buffer in
the first second but then it slows down horribly. In 15 seconds I get 13
frames in. What is interesting though is that the camera shoots the 3 raw
files faster than the Jpegs, I guess due to the processing require for them.
Hey if you can recomment a faster card for RAW I'd appreciate it

From: "Petr"

I have a Nikon D70 which empties its buffer really fast ...

The Ridata cards can systain 6mb/sec write speed and I
have double checked this on my camera and its true

Are you sure? I doubt the camera will write 6 MB/sec with any current

cards,
much less a Ridata.

This link tested the D70 with many different cards and the fastest were

the 80x
Lexar and 60x Sandisk cards, which write jpegs at about 4.2 MB/sec and

NEF's at
~ 4.5 MB/sec ... the fastest Ridata they checked was supposedly a 52x but

was
much slower than the Lexar or Sandisk cards, about 2.7 and 3 MB/sec for

jpegs
and NEF's. This was well down the list for speed.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Bill

Old August 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Al Dykes

In article TVvQc.16852$M95.4940@pd7tw1no, Petr wrote:
It was recomended by a friend who uses them in his Digital Rebel, and I saw
good results. Shooting in Jpeg Fine I continuous mode I cannot fill the
buffer to the point where it slow down the shooting speed. I got almost 30
frames in 15 seconds. The moment I let go of the shutter button and let the
buffer empty, the card write light goes off. Never more than a second after
I release it. So in 16 seconds the card accepted 30 frames at 3mb each. That

This sounds like you are comparing your D70 to a 300D. Correct ?