OT - Different tones from Camera Raw to Photoshop CS5

Old July 17th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

Default OT - Different tones from Camera Raw to Photoshop CS5

Hi everyone!

Sorry to disturb the group for a Photoshop problem which I couldn't resolve
in the proper forum. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

I've searched for a solution everywhere, but can't find any. The "Help file
in Photoshop or Camera Raw doesn't seem to address this problem. I've
pre-ordered a book (Scott Kelby's), but it's only coming out at the end of
the month.

My Problem:
When I'm in Camera Raw, colours have a certain tone and vividness.
When I open the same photo in Photoshop from Camera Raw, it's not quite the
same, maybe a bit lighter...

Where I'm at:
Camera Raw is set at: Adobe RGB 1998.
Photoshop is set at: Adobe RGB 1998, US web coated (SWOPO) v2, dot gain gray
20%, dot gain spot 20%, RGB, CMYK, gray, OFF.
I'm also using Spyder3 Pro.
Should I set Photoshop to "Monitor RGB, etc." (the same profile as my
screen - LG)? Or should I leave it to Adobe RGB?
When I print from Photoshop, I use "Photoshop manages colour" and use as
printer profile the same as my screen- LG. I also use "relative
colorimetric".

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.

Marcel

Old July 18th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"celcius" wrote in message
[...]

Some thoughts:
Do you have the latest version of Camera Raw?
It sounds as if you CR profile is not the same as you PS color profile
because some setting in PS is fighting your monitor profile.
How accurate is your printing color.

Have you tried setting everything to sRGB.

Also, have you tried the Adobe forums. They are quite helpful.

Let us know

--
Peter

Old July 20th 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

"Peter" wrote in message
"celcius" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Peter!

Thank you for answering. Sorry for not acknowledging sooner. I was out of
town.

I do have the latest version of Camera Raw: 6.1

My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that on the
screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had time to read even
part of the manual.
I haven't tried sRGB because the colours are not has rich and even though it
might settle the problem, I wouldn't be satisfied with the results. Was
there a particular reason for trying it out?
However, I should point out that I always change the camera calibration
from "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard". Perhaps I shouldn't touch that?
I noticed that on some photos, doing so "warms up" and darkens the pic a wee
bit . It seems to me that if I leave it at "Adobe Standard", there's less of
a difference. What do you think? (On the Canon, I have a choice of setting
the shoot at: Camera Faithful, Neutral, Landscape, Portrait and Standard).

Best regards,

Marcel

Old July 20th 10, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MC[_3_]

Bruce wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:48:53 -0400, "celcius"
wrote:

My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that
on the screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had
time to read even part of the manual.

You need to calibrate your screen so the results will be identical.

And use the correct paper/printer profiles in PS.

MC
Old July 20th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote:

My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that on the
screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had time to read
even
part of the manual.

You need to calibrate your screen so the results will be identical.

Hi Bruce!
I have. I use Spyder3 Pro
Marcel

Old July 20th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote:

My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that
on the screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had
time to read even part of the manual.

You need to calibrate your screen so the results will be identical.

And use the correct paper/printer profiles in PS.

MC

Hi MC!
I 've done that, although I will check again.
For your info and hopefully mine too ;-), this is what I have checked:
Photoshop manages color.
Printer profile: same as my monitor as calibrated.
Rendering intent: Perceptual
checked also "Black Point Compensation"
Print settings: as set in Epson Sylus Photo 1400 (proper paper, size, and
"photoenhance".
On the extreme left, I've also checked the following:
-match print colors
-Gamut warning
-show paper white (no problem there).
Do you see any problem on the above?
Thanks.
Best regards,
Marcel

Old July 20th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

My printing on a new Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is a tad darker that on the
screen. I installed the machine yesterday and haven't had time to
read even
part of the manual.

You need to calibrate your screen so the results will be identical.

Hi Bruce!
I have. I use Spyder3 Pro

It's luminance that's the hard part. It changes with changes in ambient
light, and prints never match the monitor no matter how well calibrated,
how well controlled the ambient light. You can get close enough for
excellent results, though. Trial and error after the best calibration
you can do- including setting the luminance control.

Another check is to see if your image's white and black points are set
correctly, ignoring the screen results over what the software shows.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 20th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"celcius" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
"celcius" wrote in message
[...]

I never edit in sRGB. You are right, it is a much smaller color gamut that
RGB.
Is your camera image RGB?

Do I understand this correctly.
Your onscreen color in Camera Raw is different than your on screen setting
in PS. Assuming that you are viewing your monitor in the same ambient light,
is your color space Adobe RGB for both ACR and PS?
First lets get raw to match PS.
Europe uses different settings than North America, so let's standardize.
In PS make you color settings = "monitor color" This will automatically set
your working settings.
Turn off all color management policies
Your conversion options should be Adobe (ACE); and "relative colormetrics"
activate the three check boxes below.

Do not check any of the advance controls at this time.

If this does not solve the initial problem, your issue is beyond my
knowledge and I suggest you try the Adobe forums.

--
Peter