Circ. pol dunked in sal****er. Cleaning?

Old January 21st 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Circ. pol dunked in sal****er. Cleaning?

On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered it
about 20 minutes later (was under a dock and hard to access).

It is the Minolta circular polarizer from the 90's. (72mm).

I immediately rinsed it off and let it dry, expecting there to have been
water seepage into the pol between the two elements.

Yesterday I took the polarizer apart, to a degree.

The outer ring and the inner pressure ring segment came off with no
problem, but I can't separate the two elements. I also suspect that NO
WATER entered between the two elements at all. I certainly can't see any
"stain" or anything in there...

Anyone with advice on what (not) to do?

I'm leaning to cleaning the accessible surfaces and not attempting to
separate the elements.
Old January 21st 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered it
about 20 minutes later (was under a dock and hard to access).

It is the Minolta circular polarizer from the 90's. (72mm).

I immediately rinsed it off and let it dry, expecting there to have been
water seepage into the pol between the two elements.

Yesterday I took the polarizer apart, to a degree.

The outer ring and the inner pressure ring segment came off with no
problem, but I can't separate the two elements. I also suspect that NO
WATER entered between the two elements at all. I certainly can't see any
"stain" or anything in there...

Anyone with advice on what (not) to do?

I'm leaning to cleaning the accessible surfaces and not attempting to
separate the elements.

I would put the polarizer in a sealed plastic bag with some silica gel for
about a day, just to make sure there is no hidden dampness.

Just my thoughts as I am paranoid about water & electronics.

--
Peter

Old January 21st 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Graham

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered it
about 20 minutes later (was under a dock and hard to access).

It is the Minolta circular polarizer from the 90's. (72mm).

I immediately rinsed it off and let it dry, expecting there to have been
water seepage into the pol between the two elements.

Yesterday I took the polarizer apart, to a degree.

The outer ring and the inner pressure ring segment came off with no
problem, but I can't separate the two elements. I also suspect that NO
WATER entered between the two elements at all. I certainly can't see any
"stain" or anything in there...

Anyone with advice on what (not) to do?

I'm leaning to cleaning the accessible surfaces and not attempting to
separate the elements.

Bingo! - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old January 21st 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:23:30 -0500, "Peter"
wrote:

[...]

Rice grains will work if there's no silica gel available.

Just my thoughts as I am paranoid about water & electronics.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 22nd 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered it
about 20 minutes later (was under a dock and hard to access).

It is the Minolta circular polarizer from the 90's. (72mm).

I immediately rinsed it off and let it dry, expecting there to have been
water seepage into the pol between the two elements.

Yesterday I took the polarizer apart, to a degree.

The outer ring and the inner pressure ring segment came off with no
problem, but I can't separate the two elements. I also suspect that NO
WATER entered between the two elements at all. I certainly can't see any
"stain" or anything in there...

Anyone with advice on what (not) to do?

I'm leaning to cleaning the accessible surfaces and not attempting to
separate the elements.

Bingo! - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yes, but if water gets from there into his LNB it will break and its a lot
more expensive.

OTOH IIRC these [de]polarisers are very dumb and consist of a lump of
plastic in a the waveguide..

Old January 22nd 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered it

Ignore previous reply about circular polarisers in satellite reception head
ends...

Old January 22nd 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

good tip, thanks :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old January 22nd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BobS

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On vacation I managed to drop a circ pol into the water. I recovered
it about 20 minutes later (was under a dock and hard to access).

It is the Minolta circular polarizer from the 90's. (72mm).

I immediately rinsed it off and let it dry, expecting there to have
been water seepage into the pol between the two elements.

Yesterday I took the polarizer apart, to a degree.

The outer ring and the inner pressure ring segment came off with no
problem, but I can't separate the two elements. I also suspect that
NO WATER entered between the two elements at all. I certainly can't
see any "stain" or anything in there...

Anyone with advice on what (not) to do?

I'm leaning to cleaning the accessible surfaces and not attempting to
separate the elements.

Alan,

Some CP's are made from 2 pieces of glass with the polarizing film
sandwiched between them. Do not try to separate the two halves or you
will ruin the polarizer. As others suggested, dry it out. If you see
seepage of water on the film, there is nothing you can do except buy a
new one.

Now there may be a new method of making these but even the last one I
bought a few months ago ($120 for a 77mm) is made that way.

Bob S.

Old January 22nd 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"John A." wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:38:43 +1100, "Atheist Chaplain"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Just remember to use uncooked rice.

that would present a problem or two I imagine ;-)

Old January 22nd 10, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 21/01/2010 23:23, Peter wrote:
Just my thoughts as I am paranoid about water & electronics.

Inquiring minds want to known: where did you find that electronic
polarizer? Honk-Kong merchant on eBay?

--
Bertrand