Stolen D300 shots salvaged.

Old December 23rd 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Stolen D300 shots salvaged.

On 2009-12-23 03:27:38 -0800, "Peter" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.

African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wi...-H2/index.html

More cheetah,
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Ch...-H1/index.html

Struggling not to make a bad pun about Tiger & cheetahs.

and Southern Masked Weaver, totally engaged in nest building.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Weaver/index.html

Just a taste from a travelling amateur. I will be replacing the stolen
D300 with a D300s.

Thank you for sharing. You have many nice memories of your trip. I
think you made a good choice in a new camera.
Now tell the truth, was the D300 really stolen, or is that what you
told your wife?G

Well I hadn't planned the theft, or the wake up call it was for me. Now
I just have to consider dealing with the benefits of the upgrade,
though the addition of video was never a consideration for me as I was
quite happy with the D300.

Savageduck

Old December 23rd 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2009-12-23 03:27:38 -0800, "Peter" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.

African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wi...-H2/index.html

More cheetah,
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Ch...-H1/index.html

Struggling not to make a bad pun about Tiger & cheetahs.

Not a golf club or frie hydrant anywhere nearby.

Old December 23rd 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Old December 23rd 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Stolen D300 shots salvaged - Travel backup options.

On 09-12-23 12:47 , Savageduck wrote:

...but I made a daily backup to my Colorspace UDMA, an outboard FW800
HD, and a Lightroom conversion to DNG on my laptop. So that was a triple
redundant backup.

Heading off to Columbia for a couple weeks in Jan. I'm looking at an
offload option. I'll be carrying 24 (16+8) GB in cards, but shooting raw.

A 160GB netbook ($299) is my first option. Even sell it on C'list on
return. I've tried finding something used as well, but either
over-spec/priced or old junk with 40 GB disks...

A simple data sucker that would automatically copy the CF to a HD would
be okay, except that I might want to edit and e-mail out some photos
while there. A netbook capable of running Elements 3.0 would be fine
enough for that.

I'd guess I'll be shooting about 4 - 8 GB per day, on average. (100 -
200 images). This will reduce to 2-4 GB/day if I do a lossless
compression DNG conversion on the laptop.
Old December 23rd 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles E Hardwidge

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On 09-12-23 12:47 , Savageduck wrote:

Heading off to Columbia for a couple weeks in Jan.

Funnily enough, Colombia is an example I had lined up in a draft post
up-thread but later dumped. Things may have cleared up in Columbia by now
but corruption, gangsterism at various levels, and paranoia were a noxious
mix you stumble blindly into. I'll skip that but leaving a copy of
documentation and money with a trusted third party before you go may be
useful. It could be useful getting back home in one piece.

FU trimmed to alt.photography

--
Charles E Hardwidge
Old December 23rd 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"Savageduck" wrote in message
Even though I lost the D300 I had a redundant backup system, so I have
been able to salvage most of the shots from my African trip.
It is good to be home. The return trip via Amsterdam, with bad European
and East coast weather was a nightmare. Each leg of the return was met
with a delay. I had a 39 hour day from Cape Town to SFO.

African Wild dogs, fast moving, well camouflaged, and tough to shoot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Wi...-H2/index.html

More cheetah,
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Ch...-H1/index.html

and Southern Masked Weaver, totally engaged in nest building.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/Weaver/index.html

Just a taste from a travelling amateur. I will be replacing the stolen
D300 with a D300s.

Savageduck,
Great to see you back!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
I'll take a look at your picks to-morrow. But I'm sure from what I've seen
before that they will be very special.
Warm welcome.
Marcel

Old December 23rd 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles E Hardwidge

"celcius" wrote in message

Savageduck,
Great to see you back!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
I'll take a look at your picks to-morrow. But I'm sure from what I've seen
before that they will be very special.
Warm welcome.
Marcel

So, you had nothing to say. You wanna watch that irony thing. ;-)

Old December 23rd 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles E Hardwidge

Asshole.

Old December 24th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

"celcius" wrote in message

Savageduck,
Great to see you back!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
I'll take a look at your picks to-morrow. But I'm sure from what I've
seen
before that they will be very special.
Warm welcome.
Marcel

So, you had nothing to say. You wanna watch that irony thing. ;-)

Why not leave Mr. H. to watch over alt.? (removed).

I just don't like his posting here and setting fu elsewhere, although I
think that's a fine way to treat x-posters who do it only to try to
start something.

--
John McWilliams