Canon 100-400mm lens focus problem

Old December 19th 09, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lucas[_3_]

Default Canon 100-400mm lens focus problem

"Wally" schreef in bericht
My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
wouldn't work either.

The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.

The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.

After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?

The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
intermittent problem.

Wally

Did you try setting the AF-select switch to 6,5m and beyond?

Old December 19th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" wrote:

"Wally" schreef in bericht
.. .
[...]

No, because the subjects were usually closer than 6.5m.

Wally
Old December 19th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

"Wally" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" wrote:

"Wally" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
Marcel

Old December 19th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:17:25 -0500, "celcius"
wrote:

Wally,

I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
Marcel

Now why would you think a thing like that? It's 1.8m.

Wally
Old December 19th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote:

Wally,

I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
Marcel

Now why would you think a thing like that? It's 1.8m.

Wally,

Sorry, Wally
I must have been elsewhere ;-(
I tried my lens today and it works fine.
However, A few weeks ago, I was out taking photos and the same thing
happened to me. I was trying to take a shot at 200m or so, and I couldn't
focus. I shut the camera off (5D Mark II) and it was working again.
Take care,
Marcel

Old December 21st 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SamSez

Wally wrote in news:52vpi59vsp0b1o0d27vdah2j3ph1fd98t0@
4ax.com:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" wrote:

"Wally" schreef in bericht
. ..
My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while

autofocusing
on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
wouldn't work either.

The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.

The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.

After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?

If you bought it from somewhere with a good return policy, I would return
it immediately. If you explain that you could not use the full-time
manual focus ring -- that it was truly mechanically jammed -- they should
have no problem sending you a brand new one -- maybe even cross ship the
replacement [with a hold on your credit card].

Sam