One upmanship and Canon's claim

Old July 1st 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default One upmanship and Canon's claim

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 00:53:05 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:32:19 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
: number wrote:
: Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
: MarkČ wrote:
:
: We agree on that. I'm pretty disgusted, frankly. I'm a Canon guy,
: and like their stuff...but they've really screwed up on this one.
: At this level, they should either deliver the goods, or don't
: deliver at all. What's most frustrating is that they knew in
: advance about it (this is known due to their recognition of RG's
: review of a pre-production unit, and the later confirmation that
: the production units suffer the EXACT same problem Canon was
: notified about). When/if there is a fix, I'll likely be somewhere
: in Africa where it's
: impossible to benefit from it.
: Bummer.
:
: Mark,
: Have you talked directly to Canon technical support and
: told them of your impending trip? Maybe you could send them
: your 1D3 and they send you a 1D2 for your Africa trip
: (I would suggest that to them if they don't offer it).
: One could hope they will have a firmware update that
: solves the problem pretty quick.
:
: Roger
:
: Hmmm... That might be worth a try. I took my 1D3 to Irvine today,
: but I frankly don't expect a real fix when I pick it up on Monday.
: I might just try that...though I'll be gone for 7 weeks. They might
: not be too wild about such a long loan. If it doesn't appear that
: the camera is fixed (I'll take my laptop and test it), then I may
: try your suggestion. That's something I hadn't thought of...
:
: Thanks, Roger.
:
: I agree with Roger. I think I read somewhere (in this newsgroup
: maybe?) that Canon recognizes that those who spring for one of the
: world's most expensive cameras deserve a degree of special treatment.
: If I were Canon's North American sales manager, I'd let you have
: anything you want for those seven weeks. It would be well worth it to
: have you tell us that they went the extra mile and show us the great
: pictures of lions, tigers, and bears that you'll bring back. And it's
: worth absolutely nothing to Canon to have you tell us what pricks
: they were to stonewall you and how lucky you were that Nikon stepped
: in and loaned you a demo model of their flagship camera for your
: trip. ;^)
:
: Bob
:
: Perhaps I'll print this thread and take it to them on Monday.

Can't hurt. And if that doesn't work, take it up to El Segundo and show it to
the folks at Nikon. :^)

Bob
Old July 1st 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 00:53:57 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
: RichA wrote:
: On Jun 29, 8:05 am, Rebecca Ore wrote:
: In article ,
:
: "G.T." wrote:
: This is why religiously following "18-month" rule eliminates
: technical and financial hardships. It's totally and utterly
: foolish to keep any dSLR body
: past its useful life expectancy of 18-months.
:
: Very rich, very very rich in more ways than one.
:
: It may be that beyond 18 months, the older camera body has almost no
: resale value. I was re-reading a photography magazine from 1999 when
: 2.1 MP was considered state of the art and the DSLR was a Nikon
: F5/Kodak hybrid.
:
: Last weekend, I saw a camera one or two developmental cycles earlier
: (N90/Kodak DSLR) that was supposedly still operational in a camera
: store's junk box for $5. It was just over one MP, and had gone for
: silly amounts of money in the early 1990s.
:
: Compare that to prices of early 1990s film cameras -- some are in
: the $5 junk box along with the old digital, some go for almost as
: much as they did when they were released.
:
: I haven't seen quite this level of devaluation. The cheapest name
: brand P&S digitals of 1-2 megapixels seem to go for about $50, 3-4 meg
: about $100, depending on the model. I've seen this in-store to. On
: Ebay, second-last generation Kodak DSLRs go for $900-$1000 and last
: generation go for about $1500.00, provided they are in decent shape.
:
: Have you priced FILM point-and-shoots lately?????
:

You don't suppose my old Argus C3 has become a valuable antique? :^)

Bob
Old July 1st 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Robert Coe wrote:

You don't suppose my old Argus C3 has become a valuable antique? :^)

Give it enough time ... even Holga's have a certain cult following.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Robert Coe wrote:

You don't suppose my old Argus C3 has become a valuable antique? :^)

Depends on where you live, perhaps:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/argus.html
Old July 1st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rjn

Rebecca Ore wrote:

Last weekend, I saw a camera one or two developmental cycles earlier
(N90/Kodak DSLR) that was supposedly still operational in a camera
store's junk box for $5.

Some of these early low-Mp DSLRs and digicams are going
to become valuable collectibles at some point. The trick is
guessing which ones.

It was just over one MP, and had gone for
silly amounts of money in the early 1990s.

Once DSLR hit 6Mp or so, it was only the money that
seemed silly in retrospect. The bodies remain useful.

My DSLR is years beyond 18 months old, and is more
than adequate for the uses to which it is put. I plan to
use it until it fails (and I'm guessing the shutter and
mirror are in a race to conk out first :-)

--
Regards, Bob Niland

Old July 1st 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jun 30, 11:05 pm, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:32:19 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even wrote:

[...]

Canon could learn a thing or two from Leica when it comes to owning up
to a problem.

Old July 1st 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Robert Coe wrote:

: http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...0240b-700.html
:
: Roger

He's really trying to stare you down, isn't he?

I do not think he was. Animals on the Serengeti know safari
vehicles are not a threat. This lion simply looked up in
curiosity was my impression. Many animals were so
oblivious to us that they never even looked at us and
acted as if we were not even there. This seemed to be the
case when we were the only vehicle in sight, like this cheetah:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...9954b-700.html
never once looked at us. He continually scanned for
hyena's who would steal his meal. But if anyone steps
out of a vehicle, the animals suddenly take notice
and react differently.

Good thing you were using a
really long lens - and that he already has a full stomach.

A long lens was nice. We encountered numerous
lions not with full stomachs--no problem, and they didn't
react any differently either.

An interesting area. In the Masai tribe, boys as young as 8
take cattle out for grazing and have to defend the cattle
with only a wooden spear (single boy; dozen or so cattle).
And they do a great job!

Roger
Old July 1st 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:20:14 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username to
rnclark)" wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: : http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...0240b-700.html
: :
: : Roger
:
[...]

Maybe the lions haven't learned to differentiate a wooden spear from a rifle.

Bob
Old July 1st 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

MarkČ wrote:

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...0240b-700.html

Roger

I love that image--especially given the fact that it was shot with such a
slow shutter! It is images like these that convinced me to take the 500 f4
plunge. I've seen what it's capable of via manual focus.
Background blur is truly stunning, and images are pin-sharp.
-Now if I could just get AF to work...

Thanks Mark. The 500 f/4 was a "life changing" lens for me.
I had dabbled in wildlife photography for many years,
but the 500 enabled me to get images that I always
wanted but couldn't achieve. The disadvantage is now
you will be spending lots more money going to places
you never dreamed of for photography ;-). Ten years
ago I never desired to go to the Serengeti. Now I can't
wait to go back (well, maybe after photographing tigers
in India).

If Canon balks at the 1D Mark II replacement idea,
try for a 30D. It is a capable camera and you
can get many great images with it.

Also, you mentioned traveling alone in high crime
areas. Do you have a Paksafe for locking things
up in your hotel room? How about insurance?
I tend to carry much of my equipment everywhere.
For example, I'll carry the lowepro backpack with
the 500 and other gear into a nice restaurant rather
than leave it in the car or hotel. What I do leave in
the hotel I leave locked in the paksafe which is locked
in my locked luggage or locked to some other object in the
hotel room (e.g. bed frame).

One more thing. I think you mentioned having a sidekick.
While it works, the 500 is a little large for it, and
when you are fatigued, lifting the 500 can be a challenge.
A full Wimberly reduces the problem with its bottom mount
plate. So plan on that in a near future purchase.
Do you have a "Todd-Pod" or equivalent for holding the
sidekick in a safari vehicle:
http://gustafsonphotosafari.com/Products.html

Roger
Old July 1st 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:

[...]

That's not a bad idea.

Also, you mentioned traveling alone in high crime
areas. Do you have a Paksafe for locking things
up in your hotel room?

I assume you mean the steel-wire enclosure for baggage, etc.
I do, but I can't seem to find it!
I may have to over-night one this week...

How about insurance?

I'm calling my agent tomorrow about that.

I tend to carry much of my equipment everywhere.
For example, I'll carry the lowepro backpack with
the 500 and other gear into a nice restaurant rather
than leave it in the car or hotel.

Me too.

What I do leave in
the hotel I leave locked in the paksafe which is locked
in my locked luggage or locked to some other object in the
hotel room (e.g. bed frame).

One more thing. I think you mentioned having a sidekick.
While it works, the 500 is a little large for it, and
when you are fatigued, lifting the 500 can be a challenge.

Ya... I have large hands and don't find the mounting difficult, but I've
noticed that movement is a little spotty at times, and was wondering if the
500 pushes the limits of the side-kick a bit. For me, the biggest advantage
of the sidekick is that I can use a single tripod for both super-tele and
normal lens work.

A full Wimberly reduces the problem with its bottom mount
plate. So plan on that in a near future purchase.
Do you have a "Todd-Pod" or equivalent for holding the
sidekick in a safari vehicle:
http://gustafsonphotosafari.com/Products.html

No, not yet. I'm looking into that, though it's getting late in preparation
time.
The truth is that most of my time in Africa will be spent working...but I
don't know when I'll be back, and want to take photographic advantage to the
extent I can. I wish I had weeks strickly for photography...but I will only
have days...

Thanks again, Roger.

Mark
www.pbase.com/markuson

interesting claim by Winsor and Newton ... Lloyd Erlick In The Darkroom 0 March 16th 06 04:04 PM
Canon's are not noisless RichA Digital SLR Cameras 39 July 19th 05 10:23 PM
Canon's "Err 99" strikes again Charles Gillen Digital SLR Cameras 17 June 19th 05 05:07 PM
Canon's 20Da RichA Digital SLR Cameras 8 May 9th 05 08:01 PM
Ques- Canon's 70-200 2.8 IS USM TD 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 October 23rd 03 11:23 PM