Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent" scene in some Canon DCs?

Old May 31st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent" scene in some Canon DCs?

I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
more convenient.
Thanks for info.

Old May 31st 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Richard Polhill

RockyZ wrote:
On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:

I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
more convenient.
Thanks for info.

While it's a fun feature to have (I have a camera with it) for a party for
people to play with it, or just playing around with it myself when bored, I
really don't see it as any kind of necessity. "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition skills
aren't good enough to accomplish that task. No different than photographers that
have to stoop to effects like zoom-blur or radial-blur or even (groan)
fog-filters with a clear central area. You might as well just smear some grease
around the edges of a clear filter to bring attention to your subject if you're
that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
compositions. I've never used the "Color Accent" in my camera other than to see
it work a few times. I guess I just can't lower myself to having to result to
using a cheap gimmick like other "photographers" use. The next thing you know
they'll be using something as ridiculous as that "LensBaby" toy in conjunction
with "Color Accent", revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
scream of desperation.

Harsh but fair.

Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.
Old May 31st 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Bates[_2_]

On May 30, 11:21 pm, wrote:
I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
more convenient.
Thanks for info.

I always love how people cannot seem to just answer the question being
asked but rather have to berate the OP instead. It's fine to share
your opinion but at least do the person a favour and try to answer the
question.

Most if not all of the new Canon P&S models have this feature (both my
S80 and my SD650 have it). I do not belive the dSLRs do though (I
don't have one - Yet). The XTi for example has picture styles
settings - but they relate more to colour saturation and accuracy, and
do not necessarily allow the function you are looking for.

Now in regards to the comments on the effect's usefulness - if you
like it use it and don't worry about other people's opinions. Now if
you are looking for a better way to get the same effect, then sure
take some advice from people who have done this other ways. I agree
there are probably more effective ways to do the work in something
like Photoshop or Photopaint (as you yourself have mentioned), but
heck - it is much quicker to do in the camera. And if I am not
mistaken (I have not used this feature in a while) the Canon P&S's
will actually save both a "normal" image and the modified - colour
accent image. So really what is the harm - if you like the effect,
great - if you think you could have done better with software after
the fact - go back to the original and do it.

Bates....

Old May 31st 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
moe & helen

ROCKYZ !!!! PLEASE tell us were we can view some of your amazing
photographic talent !!!!

Post some pics ( that YOU'VE taken :-)

Old May 31st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Ben Brugman

Harsh but fair.

Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a number of
times the cost of the camera.
Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.

So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these features
with products costing a lot more.

ben

Old May 31st 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Trev

"ben brugman" wrote in message

Harsh but fair.

Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a number
of times the cost of the camera.
Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.

So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these
features with products costing a lot more.

ben

There you are then I knew PSP was best

Old May 31st 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
cgiorgio

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
more convenient.
Thanks for info.

Yes, other manufacturer's cameras also offer rather useless features,
frequently in the "scene mode" menu.
If the G7 permitted to store pictures in raw format, that might allow to
salvage otherwise pretty bad shots in post processing. This "color accent"
option allows to make sure a shot's results are fully useless even when post
processing is applied. Also the options for color to black and white
conversion are limited that way. To take useless, tasteless ugly pictures I
would personally prefer a cheaper model than the G7, but that is perhaps
just my personal taste. My suggestion is to shoot in normal color mode. At
least when using any decent image editing program (including Canon Arc Soft
Studio), post processing on a PC offers much more flexibility to "uglyfy"
your digital photos.

Old June 1st 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Richard Polhill

ben brugman wrote:

Harsh but fair.

Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a
number of times the cost of the camera.
Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.

So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these
features with products costing a lot more.

ben

Hey don't pick on me. I should've added a ":-)" to my post, perhaps.