Pentax or Olympus?

Old July 19th 04, 05:36 PM
wendeebee

Default Pentax or Olympus?

"Jo" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting either a Pentax optio s4i or a Olympus mju 410
which is the better camera out of these two in your opinion?

Thanks....

My sister has the Pentax S40. I wouldn't let her get the S41 as EVERYTHING
is menu driven because of it's small size... and the buttons are tiny. As
she's seen, you have to use the menus quite a bit anyway, so she's glad to
have the dial on the top now. One MAJOR drawback of the S40 is you have to
shoot everything at ISO 50. Even at ISO 100, the noise levels are awful.
It's great for posed shots and snapshots, the colour and sharpness are quite
good, but don't expect to catch any action. The macro mode works quite well
too.

Go he

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/optio_s4i
for sample shots from the S4i

and he

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/stylus_410_digital
for samples from the Olympus mju 410

--
wendeebee
@sympatico

Old July 20th 04, 12:04 PM
Fred McKenzie

Many here slam the s4i, but don't own one.

I own one and love it. It is so tiny that I take it everywhere.

Tom-

You hit on the main feature of the Optio S/S4/S4i. Pictures you take with a
handy camera are a lot better than those you don't take because you don't have
a camera handy.

I wasn't totally happy with the Optio S, primarily because of its long delay
between pushing the button and taking the picture. When it had a problem, I
tried many small cameras in the stores, looking for one that had minimum delay.
Guess what? The fastest one I found was the Optio S4i.

Now, I'm not totally happy with the S4i, but mainly because of its image
quality. Some pictures look as if there is some kind of film coating the lens,
that cause a flare when there are bright objects in the scene. Perhaps the
problem is that a lubricant in the mechanism has out-gassed and coated the
internal glass surfaces. If so, that would explain why some people have better
results than others. Their lubricant hasn't outgassed yet!

Fred