Autofocus equipment

Old November 2nd 04, 10:20 PM
Zed Rafi

Default Autofocus equipment

Hello all,

I currently have a Minolta SRT-201, with a Rokkor 50 mm, a Tokina 28 mm, and
a Rokkor 135 mm. This equipment has been satisfying my photo-taking needs
for the past 2 years, but am now seriously considering switching to
Autofocus equipment.

I have pretty much decided i was going to go for a Nikon N80.

My questions relates to the choice of lenses i would like to get. On eBay
(which is for sure the place i'm going to purchase all this stuff), I was
thinking of getting myself the following set:
- 28-100 mm Nikkor + 70-300 mm Nikkor (see
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...9833 536&rd=1
to see what lenses i'm talking about)
- 17-35 mm Sigma f/2.8-4 (i'm pretty sure about this one)

How to choose my 28-80 or -100 and 70-300 mm lens??? Are the above lenses
any good?
I've been warned to stay away from kit lenses. Are these kit lenses?

Any thoughs on the 17-35? I've seen amazing photos taken with this camera.

I just want something to supplant my old MF equipment, with lenses that
yield equal or better results than my actual MF lenses, and that will
eventually be transferrable to digital equipment.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old November 3rd 04, 12:04 PM
Justin Thyme

"Zed Rafi" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

I currently have a Minolta SRT-201, with a Rokkor 50 mm, a Tokina 28 mm,
and
a Rokkor 135 mm. This equipment has been satisfying my photo-taking needs
for the past 2 years, but am now seriously considering switching to
Autofocus equipment.

I have pretty much decided i was going to go for a Nikon N80.

Why not stick with Minolta? I'm not familiar enough with their older stuff
to know whether your lenses would work with a newish Dynax, but I suspect
they might.
beg please don't become one of the hordes who believe that the only decent
camera's are made by Nikon or Canon /beg

My questions relates to the choice of lenses i would like to get. On eBay
(which is for sure the place i'm going to purchase all this stuff), I was
thinking of getting myself the following set:
- 28-100 mm Nikkor + 70-300 mm Nikkor (see
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...9833 536&rd=1
to see what lenses i'm talking about)
- 17-35 mm Sigma f/2.8-4 (i'm pretty sure about this one)

How to choose my 28-80 or -100 and 70-300 mm lens??? Are the above lenses
any good?
I've been warned to stay away from kit lenses. Are these kit lenses?

There's nothing wrong with kit lenses, it's just that you can get better

Old November 3rd 04, 03:13 PM
Zed Rafi

Why not stick with Minolta? I'm not familiar enough with their older stuff
to know whether your lenses would work with a newish Dynax, but I suspect
they might.

maybe, but i my lenses are Manual focus... i want to switch to manual
focus...

beg please don't become one of the hordes who believe that the only

decent
camera's are made by Nikon or Canon /beg

No, don't worry. I'm actually quite sad i have to depart from Minolta. It's
just that the Nikon F80 has been so popular, that there are so many for sale
on the used market, especailly from people who switched to Digi Nikons, and
i can get one barely used for a fraction of the price.

Old November 3rd 04, 04:07 PM
Alan Browne

Zed Rafi wrote:

No, don't worry. I'm actually quite sad i have to depart from Minolta. It's
just that the Nikon F80 has been so popular, that there are so many for sale
on the used market, especailly from people who switched to Digi Nikons, and
i can get one barely used for a fraction of the price.

"been so popular" is a poor reason to select a camera. If you must go Nikon,
get a F100 at least.

Much smarter would be to get a Maxxum 7. US$400 with capability that meets or
exceeds the F/N100 in most respects. And now that Minolta have finally done the
right thing wrt a digital camera, your lens investment in that respect is quite
safe as well.

Cheers,
Alan

-- [SI rulz] http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
Old November 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Zed Rafi

If you must go Nikon, get a F100 at least.

i don't know why i keep asking questions in photography newgroups, everyone
is so damn opinionated....

Old November 3rd 04, 05:49 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"Justin Thyme" writes:

"Zed Rafi" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

I currently have a Minolta SRT-201, with a Rokkor 50 mm, a Tokina 28 mm,
and
a Rokkor 135 mm. This equipment has been satisfying my photo-taking needs
for the past 2 years, but am now seriously considering switching to
Autofocus equipment.

I have pretty much decided i was going to go for a Nikon N80.

Why not stick with Minolta? I'm not familiar enough with their older stuff
to know whether your lenses would work with a newish Dynax, but I suspect
they might.

Nope, Flange distance increased from the MD mount to the autofocus
Minolta mount, making it mechanically impossible to build a
straightforward adapter. Sorry.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old November 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Alan Browne writes:

Zed Rafi wrote:

No, don't worry. I'm actually quite sad i have to depart from Minolta. It's
just that the Nikon F80 has been so popular, that there are so many for sale
on the used market, especailly from people who switched to Digi Nikons, and
i can get one barely used for a fraction of the price.

"been so popular" is a poor reason to select a camera. If you must go
Nikon, get a F100 at least.

Actually, a less-popular camera might be a batter buy on eBay, which is
where Mr. Rafi is looking. Lenses, etc., might be rarer, but it's worth a
look.

snip

--
-Stephen H. Westin