Leftover thriftiness from you film days?

Old January 21st 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

Default Leftover thriftiness from you film days?

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:09 -0800, "Juan Moore Beer"
wrote in :

In my film days, I would try not to waste too many shots, possibly because
of the extra time and expense for developing.

I find myself still not taking as many shots as I could, even though I can
take a quick look at them on the LCD and zap them in an instant. This
weekend, I was traveling a few hours north, and had an extra three or four
hours to kill. I found some nice scenery, but still only took about a
dozen pictures, most of which I will keep. There were only a few "shots"
I regret not taking, and that was only because it was too darn cold for me
to get out of the car again ;-)

Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
restraint more based on quality than cost?

I shoot far more images with digital, particularly experimental ones,
than I took with film.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Old January 21st 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:38:09 -0800, Juan Moore Beer wrote:

In my film days, I would try not to waste too many shots, possibly
because of the extra time and expense for developing.

I find myself still not taking as many shots as I could, even though I
can take a quick look at them on the LCD and zap them in an instant.
This weekend, I was traveling a few hours north, and had an extra three
or four hours to kill. I found some nice scenery, but still only took
about a dozen pictures, most of which I will keep. There were only a
few "shots" I regret not taking, and that was only because it was too
darn cold for me to get out of the car again ;-)

Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
restraint more based on quality than cost?

--------

It has taken a while, but I shoot more now. I still find that I will
'work' a little to get a good composition - I tend to not 'waste' many
shots though, certainly, some are better than others.
Old January 21st 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

Come on, everyone takes more photos with digital than they did with film.
Ansel Adams would too.

Of course, the time factor still exists for post processing and so it is
just as important to get it right in camera.

Old January 22nd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: I find myself still not taking as many shots as I could, even though I can
: take a quick look at them on the LCD and zap them in an instant. This
: weekend, I was traveling a few hours north, and had an extra three or four
: hours to kill. I found some nice scenery, but still only took about a
: dozen pictures, most of which I will keep. There were only a few "shots"
: I regret not taking, and that was only because it was too darn cold for me
: to get out of the car again ;-)
:
: Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
: restraint more based on quality than cost?

I expect to be flamed for saying this, because some in this group are such
purists that they think one should eschew any photo which has not been planned
in advance and perfectly composed. To show my contempt for that attitude, I'll
answer before I even read the three or four responses you've already received.
;^)

If you're not already a world-class photographer with the best equipment money
can buy (and maybe even if you are), and if if you throw away fewer than 60%
of the pictures you take, either you're being insufficiently aggressive in
culling your images or you're not clicking the shutter enough. As your
instinct tells you, one of the three principal advantages of digital
photography is that you don't have to worry about the cost of an individual
shot. (The other two are that you can see what you're doing as you go and that
images can be improved or corrected easily.) If you don't exploit that
advantage, you're handicapping yourself for no good reason.

Especially when photographing children or groups of people, I find that if I
run off a dozen shots of one scene, at most one or two of them will stand out
as representing what I was trying to accomplish. If I took fewer shots, it's
inevitable that I'd miss those best shots a significant percentage of the
time.

Note that you don't, of course, have to admit that you took (and threw away)
all those extra shots. You can perfectly well sneer at the idea of taking
extra shots and assert with a straight face that you never take pictures that
aren't carefully planned and therefore worth keeping. Unless those to whom you
feed that crap were at a photo shoot with you, how are they going to know?
(Don't forget to renumber the images so that none are obviously missing.)

OK, I've had my say. Let the argument begin!

Bob
Old January 22nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Juan Moore Beer
wrote:

Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
restraint more based on quality than cost?

I may take a few more, but still use discretion based on the
requirement for quality rather than quantity.
Old January 22nd 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

[...]

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I continue to shoot with
discretion just because there's no point to holding down the button and
hoping there's something good in there.
Old January 22nd 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:35:32 -0800, "Mr. Strat"
wrote:
: In article , Robert Coe
: wrote:
:
: I expect to be flamed for saying this, because some in this group are such
: purists that they think one should eschew any photo which has not been planned
: in advance and perfectly composed. To show my contempt for that attitude, I'll
: answer before I even read the three or four responses you've already received.
: ;^)
:
: If you're not already a world-class photographer with the best equipment money
: can buy (and maybe even if you are), and if if you throw away fewer than 60%
: of the pictures you take, either you're being insufficiently aggressive in
: culling your images or you're not clicking the shutter enough. As your
: instinct tells you, one of the three principal advantages of digital
: photography is that you don't have to worry about the cost of an individual
: shot. (The other two are that you can see what you're doing as you go and that
: images can be improved or corrected easily.) If you don't exploit that
: advantage, you're handicapping yourself for no good reason.
:
: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

In fact I believe it means exactly that. I'm not surprised that you disagree,
but that's what I think.

: I continue to shoot with discretion just because there's no point to holding
: down the button and hoping there's something good in there.

The point is that there's apt to be something good in there often enough to
make the exercise worthwhile. If, over time, there never is anything good in
there, then maybe you're photographing the wrong subjects in the wrong light
with the wrong equipment, or whatever, in which case you need to rethink your
approach. But if you're getting good pictures but missing some that you really
wanted, one of the ways to cope is to take more pictures.

Note that I'm NOT saying that a lousy photographer can improve his results by
taking more lousy pictures. I AM saying that few, if any, of us are good
enough to recognize and capture the best shot every time while ignoring the
rest.

Bob
Old January 22nd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Jan 21, 11:38*am, "Juan Moore Beer"
wrote:
In my film days, I would try not to waste too many shots, possibly because
of the extra time and expense for developing.

I find myself still not taking as many shots as I could, even though I can
take a quick look at them on the LCD and zap them in an instant. *This
weekend, I was traveling a few hours north, and had an extra three or four
hours to kill. *I found some nice scenery, but still only took about a
dozen pictures, most of which I will keep. *There were only a few "shots"
I regret not taking, and that was only because it was too darn cold for me
to get out of the car again ;-)

Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
restraint more based on quality than cost?

I take way more photos with digital, and now that I am I really wish I
had taken a lot more photos with film, when I was shooting with film.

For me photography is a way to capture what I see in my life and what
my wife and I do over the years. What might seem like a simple
photograph today can have great value in 20 years.

As an example the only photos I have of co-working in the work place
are from digital cameras, I just never though to do this when I was
using film.

When we have people over for dinner or we go to others for dinner I
try and capture the event with my camera, I never did much of this
with film.

On vacations I try to not only get the scenery but also the places we
stay at both in side and out and the restaurants that we ate at both
inside and out. Sure these photos would be boring for others, but I
take them for us.

When shooting people, like friends and family, more shots definitely
helps in getting good shots. I find the first few photos I take of
people they tend to want stop look right at the camera and smile, you
know bad photos, but if I keep taking photos they finally will ignore
me and I get much nicer candid shots.

Scott

Old January 22nd 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"Juan Moore Beer" wrote in message
In my film days, I would try not to waste too many shots, possibly because
of the extra time and expense for developing.

I find myself still not taking as many shots as I could, even though I can
take a quick look at them on the LCD and zap them in an instant. This
weekend, I was traveling a few hours north, and had an extra three or four
hours to kill. I found some nice scenery, but still only took about a
dozen pictures, most of which I will keep. There were only a few "shots"
I regret not taking, and that was only because it was too darn cold for me
to get out of the car again ;-)

Do you take more pictures than you would have with film, or is the
restraint more based on quality than cost?

Absolutely. I follow the digital axiom: What I lack in talent, I make up for
in volume.